Vitor Belfort (T-Rex) wants to teach history lesson to Luke Rockhold (lion)

• submit to reddit

vitor-belfort-25.jpgJARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – If the 36-year-old Vitor Belfort is indeed the “young dinosaur,” 28-year-old former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold may very well be a metaphorical “young lion.” As Belfort sees it, that’s a complete mismatch.

“Imagine if the T-Rex was in the jungle,” Belfort told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Do you think a lion could stand with a T-Rex? Maybe [Rockhold] doesn’t know history.”

Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet in the headlining bout of Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 event, which takes place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The night’s main card, including the Belfort vs. Rockhold main event, airs on FX.

During a Thursday pre-fight media event, Belfort – whose 16-year history with the UFC has led him to label himself as a “young dinosaur” – revealed he even identifies himself as a certain species of ancient carnivore.

“I’m really happy to be the only T-Rex in this jungle,” Belfort said.

He’ll need to be at his best, of course, as Rockhold does present legitimate skills in the cage. A proven submission expert with the cardio necessary to last a full five rounds if needed, Rockhold also boasts a reach advantage on the feet. But Belfort has long been considered on of the best fighters in the world and said his belief in himself and God means he’s not concerned with anything Rockhold presents.

“Muhammed Ali said if you’re not confident, just pretend you’re confident,” Belfort said. “Confidence, I believe, comes from inside. It’s all about what I have and what I’ve accomplished.

“I have the joy of the Lord, man. No man can stand before me all the days of my life. To the glory of God.”

With a win, Belfort would improve to 4-1 in his past five fights, and his lone losses in the past seven years of UFC work have been in failed bids to claim UFC titles in the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. He’s admitted he’d like one more shot at the belt, but for now Belfort said he’s not looking past Rockhold.

“Maybe you misunderstand,” Belfort said when asked if he was hoping to earn a title shot. “What I want is a win. A win takes care of itself. What I want is to win. That’s what I want.”

Belfort has been a controversial figure in recent months with critics targeting his approved use of testosterone replacement therapy as a potential problem with the sport of MMA. But the dinosaur isn’t interested in political debates.

He realizes his time in the sport – like the T-Rex’s time on Earth – will eventually run out. So with what’s left, Belfort intends to make the most of his time.

“I’m focused on winning,” Belfort said. “I’m focused on today, so I’m going to cut weight. It’s a special moment. It’s a cleanse, and it’s fun. I just enjoy it. I don’t have a lot of years. I have to enjoy every moment. I will miss these years with my friends, with my trainers. I’m going to be around, for sure, but I just have to enjoy it. That’s how I love life.

“Today could be your last day. What can you do if you knew today was going to be your last day? You would change so much. If you have to change so much, that means you’re living a wrong life. If you could just enjoy it and be happy, that means you’re living the right life.”

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Top-ranked middleweight contender Luke Rockhold has been cleared to resume training after recovering from a broken toe in his right foot, MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight. A former Strikeforce champion, Rockhold (12-2) suffered the injury midway through his dominant UFC 172 performance over Tim Boetsch, which he won in a little over two minutes via an inverted triangle/kimura. The 29-year-old AKA product is currently the No. 5 ranked middleweight in the UFC, and including more

Vitor Belfort has been told he will fight for the middleweight championship when he returns to the Octagon, and he wants to do it in his hometown. "The Phenom" told Tatame he wants to face the winner of Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida at Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He declined to make a prediction for the main event of UFC 175, on July 5, but indicates Weidman as a preferable opponent. "Bring Weidman. Tell him to train more," Belfort said. "Weidman and Vitor. It’s a fight for Mar more

Vitor Belfort's future in MMA may be uncertain at this time, but that isn't particularly worrisome for UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman. Speaking with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani on the July 14, 2014 edition of The MMA Hour (transcribed by MMA Fighting's Chuck Mindenhall), Weidman pointed specifically to The Phenom regarding whom he wants to face next. "I do want to fight Vitor Belfort. He’s the guy who’s been floating around the top for awhile now," he said. "He's another legend. I've k more

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

The Ultimate Fighting Championship wants to pit middleweight champion Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort in Brazil, but the Nevada Athletic Commission has to first okay the bout. more

• 15 hours ago

When Chris Weidman defeated Lyoto Machida at UFC 175, it was clear that his original foe, Vitor Belfort, was next in line for a shot at the middleweight championship. For Weidman’s third defense, things aren’t as simple for the UFC as faxing out a pair of bout agreements and picking an arena, as the Brazilian’s drug testing issues aren’t completely behind him. Belfort tested positive for elevated testosterone levels in a random drug screening in Nevada back in February, and if the Nevada State A more

As reported by Ariel Helwani Wednesday on UFC Tonight, UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort now says he's ready to make a return to fighting and intends to face the winner of UFC 175's main event between middleweight champion Chris Weidman and Lyoto Machida. According to his wife Joana Prado, Belfort's team has also been informed by the UFC that he is next in line for a shot at the middleweight title. Prado, along with Belfort's manager Glenn Robinson, has recently taken over the day-to-day more

On the latest episode of The MMA Beat, the panel discusses a variety of topics including the half-year review, Vitor Belfort's ongoing pursuit for a title shot, BJ Penn's featherweight debut, and much more. more