vitor-belfort-25.jpgJARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – If the 36-year-old Vitor Belfort is indeed the “young dinosaur,” 28-year-old former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold may very well be a metaphorical “young lion.” As Belfort sees it, that’s a complete mismatch.

“Imagine if the T-Rex was in the jungle,” Belfort told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Do you think a lion could stand with a T-Rex? Maybe [Rockhold] doesn’t know history.”

Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet in the headlining bout of Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 event, which takes place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The night’s main card, including the Belfort vs. Rockhold main event, airs on FX.

During a Thursday pre-fight media event, Belfort – whose 16-year history with the UFC has led him to label himself as a “young dinosaur” – revealed he even identifies himself as a certain species of ancient carnivore.

“I’m really happy to be the only T-Rex in this jungle,” Belfort said.

He’ll need to be at his best, of course, as Rockhold does present legitimate skills in the cage. A proven submission expert with the cardio necessary to last a full five rounds if needed, Rockhold also boasts a reach advantage on the feet. But Belfort has long been considered on of the best fighters in the world and said his belief in himself and God means he’s not concerned with anything Rockhold presents.

“Muhammed Ali said if you’re not confident, just pretend you’re confident,” Belfort said. “Confidence, I believe, comes from inside. It’s all about what I have and what I’ve accomplished.

“I have the joy of the Lord, man. No man can stand before me all the days of my life. To the glory of God.”

With a win, Belfort would improve to 4-1 in his past five fights, and his lone losses in the past seven years of UFC work have been in failed bids to claim UFC titles in the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. He’s admitted he’d like one more shot at the belt, but for now Belfort said he’s not looking past Rockhold.

“Maybe you misunderstand,” Belfort said when asked if he was hoping to earn a title shot. “What I want is a win. A win takes care of itself. What I want is to win. That’s what I want.”

Belfort has been a controversial figure in recent months with critics targeting his approved use of testosterone replacement therapy as a potential problem with the sport of MMA. But the dinosaur isn’t interested in political debates.

He realizes his time in the sport – like the T-Rex’s time on Earth – will eventually run out. So with what’s left, Belfort intends to make the most of his time.

“I’m focused on winning,” Belfort said. “I’m focused on today, so I’m going to cut weight. It’s a special moment. It’s a cleanse, and it’s fun. I just enjoy it. I don’t have a lot of years. I have to enjoy every moment. I will miss these years with my friends, with my trainers. I’m going to be around, for sure, but I just have to enjoy it. That’s how I love life.

“Today could be your last day. What can you do if you knew today was going to be your last day? You would change so much. If you have to change so much, that means you’re living a wrong life. If you could just enjoy it and be happy, that means you’re living the right life.”

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC 190 Results: Is Ronda Rousey the Greatest of All Time?

Ronda Rousey is the biggest star in MMA history. That much can’t even be argued. She’s in magazines, commercials and blockbuster Hollywood movies. You can rest assured an ESPN camera is around the co read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs Dan Henderson trilogy match set for UFC Fight Night 77 in Brazil

"The Phenom" takes on "Hendo" for a third time in Sao Paulo later this year. Trolling Dan Henderson trolls. Last night (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) was an immensely entertaining night of mixed martial arts ( read news >>

Ronda Rousey's 5 First-Round Wins in Title Fights Makes UFC History

Fact: Ronda Rousey's five first-round wins in title fights are the most in UFC history. Bleacher Report will be bringing sports fans the most interesting and engaging Cold Hard Fact of the day, prese read news >>

Dan Henderson vs. Vitor Belfort 3 to headline UFC Fight Night

The UFC has booked the MMA legends to headline a November Fight Night card in Sao Paulo, Brazil. UFC legend Dan Henderson tweeted his next opponent last night. He'll be facing Vitor Belfort for the t read news >>

Dan Henderson vs. Vitor Belfort 3 Headlines UFC Return to Brazil in November

Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort will fight for a third time in the UFC Fight Night 77 main event in Sao Paulo, Brazil on November 7. read news >>

Dan Henderson vs. Vitor Belfort Trilogy Fight Signed for Sao Paulo in November

Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort will run it back. The two MMA veterans will clash in November in Sao Paulo, Brazil. UFC Fight Night 78 will be the event on November 7. The two first met in PRIDE 32 i read news >>

UFC Fight Night 78 set for Sao Paulo with Vitor Belfort-Dan Henderson trilogy rematch

RIO DE JANEIRO – The UFC will return to Brazil in November for a trilogy rematch between Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs. Dan Henderson headlines UFC Fight Night card in November

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson will fight for a third time in November. Henderson made the announcement on Twitter. The middleweights will headline the upcoming UFC Fight Night car read news >>

Kenny Florian: Correia Beating Rousey Would Be 'Biggest Upset in UFC History'

It feels like another day at the office as Ronda Rousey prepares to defend her UFC title against Bethe Correia at UFC 190. The reigning champ is expected to waltz right into the HSBC Arena in Rio on read news >>

Kenny Florian: Bethe Correia beating Ronda Rousey would be the single 'biggest upset in UFC history'

When it comes to UFC 190, it's no secret the oddsmakers aren't doing Bethe Correia any favors. Throughout the 22-year history of the UFC, throughout all the casual mismatches, all the cases of journe read news >>