vitor-belfort-25.jpgJARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – If the 36-year-old Vitor Belfort is indeed the “young dinosaur,” 28-year-old former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold may very well be a metaphorical “young lion.” As Belfort sees it, that’s a complete mismatch.

“Imagine if the T-Rex was in the jungle,” Belfort told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Do you think a lion could stand with a T-Rex? Maybe [Rockhold] doesn’t know history.”

Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet in the headlining bout of Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 event, which takes place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The night’s main card, including the Belfort vs. Rockhold main event, airs on FX.

During a Thursday pre-fight media event, Belfort – whose 16-year history with the UFC has led him to label himself as a “young dinosaur” – revealed he even identifies himself as a certain species of ancient carnivore.

“I’m really happy to be the only T-Rex in this jungle,” Belfort said.

He’ll need to be at his best, of course, as Rockhold does present legitimate skills in the cage. A proven submission expert with the cardio necessary to last a full five rounds if needed, Rockhold also boasts a reach advantage on the feet. But Belfort has long been considered on of the best fighters in the world and said his belief in himself and God means he’s not concerned with anything Rockhold presents.

“Muhammed Ali said if you’re not confident, just pretend you’re confident,” Belfort said. “Confidence, I believe, comes from inside. It’s all about what I have and what I’ve accomplished.

“I have the joy of the Lord, man. No man can stand before me all the days of my life. To the glory of God.”

With a win, Belfort would improve to 4-1 in his past five fights, and his lone losses in the past seven years of UFC work have been in failed bids to claim UFC titles in the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. He’s admitted he’d like one more shot at the belt, but for now Belfort said he’s not looking past Rockhold.

“Maybe you misunderstand,” Belfort said when asked if he was hoping to earn a title shot. “What I want is a win. A win takes care of itself. What I want is to win. That’s what I want.”

Belfort has been a controversial figure in recent months with critics targeting his approved use of testosterone replacement therapy as a potential problem with the sport of MMA. But the dinosaur isn’t interested in political debates.

He realizes his time in the sport – like the T-Rex’s time on Earth – will eventually run out. So with what’s left, Belfort intends to make the most of his time.

“I’m focused on winning,” Belfort said. “I’m focused on today, so I’m going to cut weight. It’s a special moment. It’s a cleanse, and it’s fun. I just enjoy it. I don’t have a lot of years. I have to enjoy every moment. I will miss these years with my friends, with my trainers. I’m going to be around, for sure, but I just have to enjoy it. That’s how I love life.

“Today could be your last day. What can you do if you knew today was going to be your last day? You would change so much. If you have to change so much, that means you’re living a wrong life. If you could just enjoy it and be happy, that means you’re living the right life.”

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

WrestleMania 32 Results: Roman Reigns Tops Triple H, The Undertaker Puts Shane McMahon On a Stretcher

The biggest crowd in WrestleMania history took over Dallas on Sunday. read news >>

UFC Middleweights Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman Trade Barbs on Sportscenter

Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman were together on Wednesday morning on ESPN SportsCenter as they make the media rounds for their UFC 199 rematch. Rockhold, now UFC middleweight champion, took the stra read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Champ Luke Rockhold Thinks Interim Titles are Bulls**t

UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is not a fan of interim championships. In fact, he doesn't think the Jon Jones fight at UFC 197 should be for an interim title. read news >>

UFC Middleweights Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman Trade Barbs on Sportscenter

Video: UFC champ Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman explain why they just can't get along

LOS ANGELES – Ahead of their rematch next month at UFC 199, middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman met with the media and discussed why their rivalry has gotten so personal in recent w read news >>

Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman Video: No Love Lost

The UFC 199 rematch between middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and former titleholder Chris Weidman is quickly becoming a grudge match. read news >>

Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin to Coach TUF Latin America 3

For the first time in UFC history, the The Ultimate Fighter series will feature two UFC legends and Hall of Famers, Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin, as coaches. read news >>

Miesha Tate Has ‘Unfinished Business,’ Wants Ronda Rousey Next

UFC bantamweight champion Miesha Tate and former titleholder Ronda Rousey have quite the history, dating back to before either were in the UFC. read news >>

UFC makes history with announcement of event at Madison Square Garden in New York on Nov. 12

Following today’s landmark bill signing by Governor Andrew Cuomo to legalize and regulate professional mixed martial arts in New York, UFC announced that it will host a major event at Madison Square read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 weigh-in photos: The return of the greatest wig in MMA history

TAMPA, Fla. – MMAjunkie was on scene for today’s UFC on FOX 19 fighter weigh-ins. Check out our photo gallery of the festivities.Filed under: News, Photo Gallery, UFC read news >>