vitor-belfort-25.jpgJARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – If the 36-year-old Vitor Belfort is indeed the “young dinosaur,” 28-year-old former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold may very well be a metaphorical “young lion.” As Belfort sees it, that’s a complete mismatch.

“Imagine if the T-Rex was in the jungle,” Belfort told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Do you think a lion could stand with a T-Rex? Maybe [Rockhold] doesn’t know history.”

Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet in the headlining bout of Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 event, which takes place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The night’s main card, including the Belfort vs. Rockhold main event, airs on FX.

During a Thursday pre-fight media event, Belfort – whose 16-year history with the UFC has led him to label himself as a “young dinosaur” – revealed he even identifies himself as a certain species of ancient carnivore.

“I’m really happy to be the only T-Rex in this jungle,” Belfort said.

He’ll need to be at his best, of course, as Rockhold does present legitimate skills in the cage. A proven submission expert with the cardio necessary to last a full five rounds if needed, Rockhold also boasts a reach advantage on the feet. But Belfort has long been considered on of the best fighters in the world and said his belief in himself and God means he’s not concerned with anything Rockhold presents.

“Muhammed Ali said if you’re not confident, just pretend you’re confident,” Belfort said. “Confidence, I believe, comes from inside. It’s all about what I have and what I’ve accomplished.

“I have the joy of the Lord, man. No man can stand before me all the days of my life. To the glory of God.”

With a win, Belfort would improve to 4-1 in his past five fights, and his lone losses in the past seven years of UFC work have been in failed bids to claim UFC titles in the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. He’s admitted he’d like one more shot at the belt, but for now Belfort said he’s not looking past Rockhold.

“Maybe you misunderstand,” Belfort said when asked if he was hoping to earn a title shot. “What I want is a win. A win takes care of itself. What I want is to win. That’s what I want.”

Belfort has been a controversial figure in recent months with critics targeting his approved use of testosterone replacement therapy as a potential problem with the sport of MMA. But the dinosaur isn’t interested in political debates.

He realizes his time in the sport – like the T-Rex’s time on Earth – will eventually run out. So with what’s left, Belfort intends to make the most of his time.

“I’m focused on winning,” Belfort said. “I’m focused on today, so I’m going to cut weight. It’s a special moment. It’s a cleanse, and it’s fun. I just enjoy it. I don’t have a lot of years. I have to enjoy every moment. I will miss these years with my friends, with my trainers. I’m going to be around, for sure, but I just have to enjoy it. That’s how I love life.

“Today could be your last day. What can you do if you knew today was going to be your last day? You would change so much. If you have to change so much, that means you’re living a wrong life. If you could just enjoy it and be happy, that means you’re living the right life.”

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Chris Weidman Talks Luke Rockhold, Compares UFC Rematch to Anderson Silva Fights

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has called for an immediate rematch against Luke Rockhold, whom he said he plans to "demolish" in a bout that means more to him than his wins over Ander read news >>

Video: UFC champ Luke Rockhold's elbow drainage will make you gag

If you’re getting ready to dig into breakfast while you catch up on MMAjunkie’s latest headlines, you might want to skip this one.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Did Conor McGregor deserve shot at 2nd UFC belt? Fellow fighters discuss

BOSTON – Conor McGregor will soon try to make history by becoming the first fighter in the promotion’s history to simultaneously hold two belts. But did he deserve that opportunity?Filed under: Featu read news >>

Video: Dominick Cruz grateful for fans, sure of his place in MMA history

BOSTON – Former UFC and WEC champion Dominick Cruz remembers the days when nobody cared much about what he was doing. Interviews were carried out in casino hallways. Now, things are a bit different.F read news >>

Champ Jedrzejczyk, Gadelha announced as 'TUF 23' coaches, rematch on July 8

For just the second time in the history of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series female coaches will take the helm for two teams of up-and-coming fighters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Boston

It was billed as the best bantamweight fight in UFC history, and it lived up to the billing. UFC bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw stepped in to defend against former champion Dominick Cruz. It is a read news >>

How Dominick Cruz Killed the King | FIGHTLAND

The most anticipated bantamweight fight in MMA history managed to live up to the hype. We take a look at how Dominick Cruz was able to get the better of TJ Dillashaw and reclaim the bantamweight titl read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Boston

Vitor Belfort vs. Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza headlines UFC Fight Night 87 in Brazil

UFC Fight Night 87 takes place in Brazil on May 14 and two of the biggest superstars in the country will headline the event when Vitor Belfort faces Ronaldo Souza in a middleweight showdown.Filed und read news >>

TUF LATAM 3 to be Filmed in Argentina

For the first time in its history, UFC®, the leading organization of mixed martial arts, will produce content in Argentina. Televisa and Mandarina TV, a local TV production company, will be responsib read news >>