Vitor Belfort (T-Rex) wants to teach history lesson to Luke Rockhold (lion)

• submit to reddit

vitor-belfort-25.jpgJARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – If the 36-year-old Vitor Belfort is indeed the “young dinosaur,” 28-year-old former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold may very well be a metaphorical “young lion.” As Belfort sees it, that’s a complete mismatch.

“Imagine if the T-Rex was in the jungle,” Belfort told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Do you think a lion could stand with a T-Rex? Maybe [Rockhold] doesn’t know history.”

Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet in the headlining bout of Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 event, which takes place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The night’s main card, including the Belfort vs. Rockhold main event, airs on FX.

During a Thursday pre-fight media event, Belfort – whose 16-year history with the UFC has led him to label himself as a “young dinosaur” – revealed he even identifies himself as a certain species of ancient carnivore.

“I’m really happy to be the only T-Rex in this jungle,” Belfort said.

He’ll need to be at his best, of course, as Rockhold does present legitimate skills in the cage. A proven submission expert with the cardio necessary to last a full five rounds if needed, Rockhold also boasts a reach advantage on the feet. But Belfort has long been considered on of the best fighters in the world and said his belief in himself and God means he’s not concerned with anything Rockhold presents.

“Muhammed Ali said if you’re not confident, just pretend you’re confident,” Belfort said. “Confidence, I believe, comes from inside. It’s all about what I have and what I’ve accomplished.

“I have the joy of the Lord, man. No man can stand before me all the days of my life. To the glory of God.”

With a win, Belfort would improve to 4-1 in his past five fights, and his lone losses in the past seven years of UFC work have been in failed bids to claim UFC titles in the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. He’s admitted he’d like one more shot at the belt, but for now Belfort said he’s not looking past Rockhold.

“Maybe you misunderstand,” Belfort said when asked if he was hoping to earn a title shot. “What I want is a win. A win takes care of itself. What I want is to win. That’s what I want.”

Belfort has been a controversial figure in recent months with critics targeting his approved use of testosterone replacement therapy as a potential problem with the sport of MMA. But the dinosaur isn’t interested in political debates.

He realizes his time in the sport – like the T-Rex’s time on Earth – will eventually run out. So with what’s left, Belfort intends to make the most of his time.

“I’m focused on winning,” Belfort said. “I’m focused on today, so I’m going to cut weight. It’s a special moment. It’s a cleanse, and it’s fun. I just enjoy it. I don’t have a lot of years. I have to enjoy every moment. I will miss these years with my friends, with my trainers. I’m going to be around, for sure, but I just have to enjoy it. That’s how I love life.

“Today could be your last day. What can you do if you knew today was going to be your last day? You would change so much. If you have to change so much, that means you’re living a wrong life. If you could just enjoy it and be happy, that means you’re living the right life.”

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Top-ranked middleweight contender Luke Rockhold has been cleared to resume training after recovering from a broken toe in his right foot, MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight. A former Strikeforce champion, Rockhold (12-2) suffered the injury midway through his dominant UFC 172 performance over Tim Boetsch, which he won in a little over two minutes via an inverted triangle/kimura. The 29-year-old AKA product is currently the No. 5 ranked middleweight in the UFC, and including read news >>

It's a Chris Weidman title fight, "The Phenom" rematch or bust, for the former Strikeforce middleweight champion. Despite pleas from his teammates to move on, Luke Rockhold just can't seem to get Vitor Belfort out of his mind, 14 months after getting knocked out by "The Phenom." Time and again, Rockhold has pleaded for a do-over against the Brazilian, though not much has come of it; as Belfort has bigger fish to fry in the form of a middleweight title fight. However, there is one thing that Luke read news >>

UFC top middleweight Luke Rockhold has never been shy about his feelings about performance-enhancing drugs in MMA. Bleacher Report got a chance to chat with Rockhold and get his opinion on Vitor Belfort, PEDs and more. Check out why he has no respect for Belfort and why he thinks the Brazilian won’t even make it to his upcoming title fight with Chris Weidman at UFC 181.Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com read news >>

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- During a media scrum at UFC on FOX 12, Luke Rockhold talks about his back and forth with Michael Bisping on Twitter, staying ready in case Vitor Belfort gets injured before his upcoming title fight, his stance on cheaters in sports, and more. read news >>

Top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender Luke Rockhold believes Vitor Belfort will never make it to his UFC 181 title fight against Chris Weidman, because "The Phenom's" frail body will fall apart after years of PED abuse. read news >>

• a day ago

Luke Rockhold and other UFC fighters have criticized Vitor Belfort for testing positive in the first test he did outside of Brazil after a 3-0 run in 2013. Rockhold said Belfort’s "frail" body would fall apart before his title fight with Chris Weidman, scheduled for UFC 181 on Dec. 6, but "The Phenom" says they are all just jealous. "I think they are just afraid. I understand," Belfort said Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "That playboy is still in shock from the kick. He’s in shock. People are read news >>

• a day ago

"Hey bro, the altitude is too high." Top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender Luke Rockhold has been asking for a rematch against Vitor Belfort ever since "The Phenom" kicked his head into the stands at UFC on FX 8 in early 2013. That was one of three frightening knockouts landed during the TRT-tor era. Sorry/not sorry. While the Brazilian is currently focused on his UFC 181 title fight against Chris Weidman, which takes place this December on pay-per-view (PPV), he was gr read news >>

• a day ago

Luke Rockhold said he would relish the chance to “shut his mouth and get paid for it,” referring to fellow 185-pounder Michael Bisping. What Rockhold really wants, though, is a shot at Vitor Belfort.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Chris Weidman said on Monday that he wanted to defend his UFC middleweight title against Vitor Belfort next, and it appears as if he'll get his wish. "We want to make that fight happen," UFC President Dana White told reporters in Dublin on Friday. "That's the next fight. That fight should've already happened before the Machida. That's the fight we want to do and that's the fight that Chris Weidman wants. I love this kid calling out Vitor. "The champ wants to fight Vitor Belfort, man. I don't bla read news >>