Vitor Belfort UFC 103Vitor Belfort began his mixed martial arts career 17 years ago, exploding onto the scene, a 19-year-old ball of fire.

He was the epitome of “kill or be killed,” knocking out five of his first seven opponents, submitting one, and getting knocked out by the other.

Belfort KO’d Tank Abbot, Tre Teligman and Wanderlei Silva, but somewhere along the way, he lost focus. He stumbled through the middle portion of his career, not fighting with the same zest that he had in the beginning.

Recently, Belfort has rekindled the spirit that drove him so many years ago.

Following up a knockout of Michael Bisping earlier this year, Belfort landed a stunning heel kick knockout of former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold at UFC on FX 8 on Saturday night in Brazil.

Many detractors will point to his use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy. It’s something, although legal, that Belfort doesn’t like to talk about that, which he clearly pointed out when asked about it at the UFC on FX 8 post-fight press conference.

He, however, points to promises he made and a team – the Blackzilians – that is unlike any other that he’s surrounded himself with in his career.

“I was part of two jungles. I’m T-Rex, surviving in this new jungle,” Belfort said during a Fuel TV post-fight interview. “I think it is just a burning inside of me that you didn’t accomplish (what you could have).

“I did so many mistakes and Dana and Lorenzo give me the chance. I promise them. I sat down in the meeting and I say, ‘I promise I’m gonna give you my best. I’m gonna finish as strong as I can finish.’ I make a promise to my family, for my spiritual father, for all my family for my kids. Dad is gonna finish strong.

“If I don’t have the desire to go to the gym; if I don’t have the desire to train, to improve new skills; I should retire. I still have a lot of gas in my tank.”

Gas in the tank has been a criticism often leveled at Belfort. He’s strong out of the gate, but fades in the later rounds. Not his heart, but his physical stamina.

He added, however, that is no longer the case.

“I was ready to go (the distance). I was doing 15 rounds. We did a sparring session: seven rounds of seven minutes with four different guys,” he stated. “We really have the best of the best in every area. The Blackzilians have a set-up now that I never have in my life.”

Having defeated Yoshihiro Akiyama, Anthony Johnson (in a catchweight bout), Michael Bisping, and now Luke Rockhold, since he failed to take the belt from Anderson Silva little more than two years ago, many questions also center on the UFC middleweight champion and a possible rematch.

Like TRT, however, Anderson Silva is a subject that is currently taboo with Belfort.

Although he said that he would be rooting for his countryman when Silva steps in the Octagon to defend his belt against Chris Weidman at UFC 162 in July, Belfort doesn’t really want to think about what’s next.

He knows what is next, and it doesn’t involve fighting at all. It involves his wife, his kids, and waves.

“I want my vacation now. I promised my wife,” laughed Belfort. “Kelly Slater, I want to go to your house in Hawaii. I wanna go surf.”

WSOF Continues Signing Spree, Inks Deal with Ramsey Nijem

World Series of Fighting continued its signing spree on Monday, announcing it had inked a deal with UFC veteran Ramsey Nijem. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

Medeiros kicks off UFC 203 with submission win

Former lightweight standout Yancy Medeiros made a successful move to the 170-pound weight class in the UFC 203 opener at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland on Saturday night, submitting Sean Spencer in read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Kicks Travis Browne's Coach in Cage After Fight at UFC 203

UFC 203 will go down as one of the UFC's stranger cards, but even on a night with a 0-0 ex-WWE wrestler making his MMA debut, nothing tops what happened after the co-main event fight between Fabricio read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Chael Sonnen Payback Would be a Great Way to End His Career | MMAWeekly.com

For Tito Ortiz, there is no better way to end his career than to exact payback upon Chael Sonnen. read news >>