Vitor Belfort UFC 103Vitor Belfort began his mixed martial arts career 17 years ago, exploding onto the scene, a 19-year-old ball of fire.

He was the epitome of “kill or be killed,” knocking out five of his first seven opponents, submitting one, and getting knocked out by the other.

Belfort KO’d Tank Abbot, Tre Teligman and Wanderlei Silva, but somewhere along the way, he lost focus. He stumbled through the middle portion of his career, not fighting with the same zest that he had in the beginning.

Recently, Belfort has rekindled the spirit that drove him so many years ago.

Following up a knockout of Michael Bisping earlier this year, Belfort landed a stunning heel kick knockout of former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold at UFC on FX 8 on Saturday night in Brazil.

Many detractors will point to his use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy. It’s something, although legal, that Belfort doesn’t like to talk about that, which he clearly pointed out when asked about it at the UFC on FX 8 post-fight press conference.

He, however, points to promises he made and a team – the Blackzilians – that is unlike any other that he’s surrounded himself with in his career.

“I was part of two jungles. I’m T-Rex, surviving in this new jungle,” Belfort said during a Fuel TV post-fight interview. “I think it is just a burning inside of me that you didn’t accomplish (what you could have).

“I did so many mistakes and Dana and Lorenzo give me the chance. I promise them. I sat down in the meeting and I say, ‘I promise I’m gonna give you my best. I’m gonna finish as strong as I can finish.’ I make a promise to my family, for my spiritual father, for all my family for my kids. Dad is gonna finish strong.

“If I don’t have the desire to go to the gym; if I don’t have the desire to train, to improve new skills; I should retire. I still have a lot of gas in my tank.”

Gas in the tank has been a criticism often leveled at Belfort. He’s strong out of the gate, but fades in the later rounds. Not his heart, but his physical stamina.

He added, however, that is no longer the case.

“I was ready to go (the distance). I was doing 15 rounds. We did a sparring session: seven rounds of seven minutes with four different guys,” he stated. “We really have the best of the best in every area. The Blackzilians have a set-up now that I never have in my life.”

Having defeated Yoshihiro Akiyama, Anthony Johnson (in a catchweight bout), Michael Bisping, and now Luke Rockhold, since he failed to take the belt from Anderson Silva little more than two years ago, many questions also center on the UFC middleweight champion and a possible rematch.

Like TRT, however, Anderson Silva is a subject that is currently taboo with Belfort.

Although he said that he would be rooting for his countryman when Silva steps in the Octagon to defend his belt against Chris Weidman at UFC 162 in July, Belfort doesn’t really want to think about what’s next.

He knows what is next, and it doesn’t involve fighting at all. It involves his wife, his kids, and waves.

“I want my vacation now. I promised my wife,” laughed Belfort. “Kelly Slater, I want to go to your house in Hawaii. I wanna go surf.”

Gegard Mousasi: 'Vitor Belfort Not That Explosive Off TRT' |

Gegard Mousasi doesn't think his UFC 204 opponent, Vitor Belfort, is that explosive since going off the controversial use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy. read news >>

No, Vitor Belfort Did Not Retire |

The reports of the death of Vitor Belfort's career have been greatly exaggerated... or, at the least, misinterpreted. read news >>

Vitor Belfort Retires: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Vitor Belfort's historic mixed martial arts career has come to an end after his technical-knockout loss against Gegard Mousasi at UFC 204 on Oct. 8. Belfort announced his decision to hang up the glov read news >>

Despite reports, Vitor Belfort says he's not retiring: 'The Phenom' is back

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort isn’t hanging up the gloves just yet, despite what you may have read.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mike Pyle started career by fighting 'Rampage' Jackson for $100 and ended up 'like a shoe in a dryer'

Mike Pyle will close out 2016 by stepping into the octagon for career fight 41. It’s the next step in a career that started with a wild fight against Quinton Jackson in 1999.Filed under: Featured Vid read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Alexander Shlemenko, Jerry 'The King' Lawler, WSOF's Carlos Silva

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Alexander Shlemenko, Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler and Carlos Silva.Filed under: Bellator, MMAjunkie Radio, News, WSOF read news >>

The Continued Catch Wrestling Adventures of Minoru Suzuki | FIGHTLAND

Back in April we examined the fighting style of one of Pancrase's founding members, Minoru Suzuki. The first batch of classic Pancrase bouts had just been uploaded to the UFC's Fight Pass service and read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): UFC 205's Chris Weidman, AXS TV's Michael Schiavello (in studio)

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Chris Weidman and Michael Schiavello. Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Rousey vs. Cyborg will happen and it will be the biggest card ever

Dana White promises Rousey vs. Cyborg is going to happen. read news >>

Michael Bisping's Top 3 UFC Career Highlights |

Believe it or not, winning the UFC middleweight championship doesn't sit at the top of Michael Bisping's career highlights. read news >>