Vitor Belfort: I Made A Promise to UFC, Family to Finish My Career Strong


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Few could deny that Vitor Belfort has been on a roll of late.

“The Phenom” has won four of his last five fights since coming up short in his bid to capture the UFC middleweight title from Anderson Silva, with only a short-notice defeat to reigning light heavyweight champion and pound-for-pound standout Jon Jones marring his record in that span.

On Saturday night, Belfort notched another of his trademark knockouts, finishing former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold in the UFC on FX 8 main event at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The victory was not brought about by Belfort’s famous left hand, however, as the Brazilian instead clipped Rockhold with a gorgeous spinning heel kick that planted the American on the canvas. What followed was vintage Belfort, with the former light heavyweight champion battering Rockhold into unconsciousness with ground-and-pound midway through the opening frame.

Belfort, who made his professional debut in 1996 as a heavyweight, was once regarded by many as MMA’s poster child for squandered potential. However, that has changed with the 36-year-old’s resurgent success since dropping to 185 pounds nearly five years ago.

“I was part of two jungles. I’m the T-Rex, surviving in this new jungle, so I’m rebuilding myself, and God has given me the strength. Just as I used to be strong then, I am strong now,” Belfort told Fox Sports following his victory over Rockhold. “I think it was just this burning inside of me that said, ‘You didn’t accomplish what you [could have].’ I lacked so many things in my career. I [made] so many mistakes. “Dana [White] and Lorenzo [Fertitta] gave me the chance. I sat down with them, and I promised to give my best. I said I would finish as strong as I can. And I made a promise to my family and my spiritual father that I was going to finish strong,” Belfort continued. “If I don’t have the desire to go to the gym -- the desire to improve and [gain] new skills, then I should retire. I still have a lot of gas left in my tank. I thank God for giving me the strength.”

Belfort, who declined to call out an opponent following his spectacular knockout, attributes much of this year’s success to his camp, the Florida-based Blackzilians.

“I got [boxing coach] Pedro Diaz and [wrestling coach] Kenny Monday and [striking coach] Henri Hooft in my corner. I have the best team -- the Blackzilians,” said Belfort. “I have the best setup. They put me through training like a science. I was doing seven rounds of seven minutes with four different guys. We really have the best of the best in every area. The Blackzilians have a setup now like I never had in my life, and we have many great fighters, as well.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 6 days ago
  • 15 views

UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort has been granted a license by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) on Wednesday at a hearing in Las Vegas. Per commission orders, Belfort cannot compete prior to December, he must fight in Las Vegas for his next bout and is subject to random blood and urine testing no matter where he is. Belfort must also pay for the enhanced testing procedures.
As a result, the UFC announced Wednesday he'll face UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman in the main event o more

  • 5 days ago
  • 35 views

Originally airing on Fight Pass, UFC has now made the highlights available on YouTube.
Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) summoned Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweights Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen to its July 23 administrative hearing to render verdicts for each fighter. Both "The Phenom" and "The American Gangster" failed pre-fight drug tests earlier this year.
After breaking down in tears, the Brazilian was awarded a conditional license, and will move on to fight Chris Wei more

  • 26 days ago
  • 77 views

LAS VEGAS -- At the UFC 175 media day, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman discusses Chael Sonnen, the impact of drug testing in MMA, if he would ask for Vitor Belfort to get extra testing if he had to face him next, Eddie Gordon's debut, and much more. more

  • 26 days ago
  • 57 views

Chris Weidman sat down with the Media during the build up to 175 and talked about the recent rash of drug test failures in the UFC, and he had some harsh words for Vitor Belfort most particularly. more

  • 26 days ago
  • 33 views

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman could be fighting Vitor Belfort later this year, but wants "The Phenom" to undergo extensive drug testing before that happens, as the Brazilian is starting to resemble a horse from all his TRT. more

  • 24 days ago
  • 31 views

While the judges gave UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman a unanimous decision nod for his UFC 175 victory over Lyoto Machida, most observers would likely agree the final two frames were very competitive and could have gone Machida's way. The judges only gave Machida the fourth as did UFC President Dana White, according to his post-fight press conference comments.
Still, is that enough to get Machida a rematch? Probably not.
"I gave Machida the fourth round," White said when explaining his s more

  • 24 days ago
  • 14 views

Chris Weidman defended his UFC middleweight title for the second time at UFC 175, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida.
It was an excellent fight that pushed Weidman further than he had ever gone before. The champion got the nod on all three judges' scorecards to retain the title. With another contender down, who will be next up for Weidman?
At the UFC post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White brought up the name Vitor Belfort. Belfort is currently the No. 2-ranked contend more

  • 24 days ago
  • 23 views

On Saturday night, Chris Weidman stepped in the cage looking to defend his middleweight title against the former light heavyweight champion, Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida.
After an intense, back-and-forth battle, which won Fight of the Night, Weidman was declared the winner by unanimous decision (49-45, 48-47, 49-46).
At the post-fight press conference, Dana White was asked about Weidman's next possible fight, and the name that White gave was another former light heavyweight champion, Vitor "The Ph more

  • 24 days ago
  • 69 views

It could be ... but maybe not. Now that Chris Weidman has disposed of his latest challenger, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida (watch the highlights here) in the main event of UFC 175 last night (July 5, 2014) in Las Vegas, Nevada, it's time to look ahead to his next middleweight title defense.
Paging Vitor Belfort: Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT
— Vitor Belfort (@vitorbelfort) July 6, 2014 Bel more