Few could deny that Vitor Belfort has been on a roll of late.

“The Phenom” has won four of his last five fights since coming up short in his bid to capture the UFC middleweight title from Anderson Silva, with only a short-notice defeat to reigning light heavyweight champion and pound-for-pound standout Jon Jones marring his record in that span.

On Saturday night, Belfort notched another of his trademark knockouts, finishing former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold in the UFC on FX 8 main event at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The victory was not brought about by Belfort’s famous left hand, however, as the Brazilian instead clipped Rockhold with a gorgeous spinning heel kick that planted the American on the canvas. What followed was vintage Belfort, with the former light heavyweight champion battering Rockhold into unconsciousness with ground-and-pound midway through the opening frame.

Belfort, who made his professional debut in 1996 as a heavyweight, was once regarded by many as MMA’s poster child for squandered potential. However, that has changed with the 36-year-old’s resurgent success since dropping to 185 pounds nearly five years ago.

“I was part of two jungles. I’m the T-Rex, surviving in this new jungle, so I’m rebuilding myself, and God has given me the strength. Just as I used to be strong then, I am strong now,” Belfort told Fox Sports following his victory over Rockhold. “I think it was just this burning inside of me that said, ‘You didn’t accomplish what you [could have].’ I lacked so many things in my career. I [made] so many mistakes. “Dana [White] and Lorenzo [Fertitta] gave me the chance. I sat down with them, and I promised to give my best. I said I would finish as strong as I can. And I made a promise to my family and my spiritual father that I was going to finish strong,” Belfort continued. “If I don’t have the desire to go to the gym -- the desire to improve and [gain] new skills, then I should retire. I still have a lot of gas left in my tank. I thank God for giving me the strength.”

Belfort, who declined to call out an opponent following his spectacular knockout, attributes much of this year’s success to his camp, the Florida-based Blackzilians.

“I got [boxing coach] Pedro Diaz and [wrestling coach] Kenny Monday and [striking coach] Henri Hooft in my corner. I have the best team -- the Blackzilians,” said Belfort. “I have the best setup. They put me through training like a science. I was doing seven rounds of seven minutes with four different guys. We really have the best of the best in every area. The Blackzilians have a setup now like I never had in my life, and we have many great fighters, as well.”

‘Kimbo Slice’ Wanted to Be Remembered as a Family Man and as a Fighter Who Evolved

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson started his fighting career as a street fighter with heavy hands made famous by Youtube videos of his backyard brawls. read news >>

Lewis not concerned with ranks, just wants to provide for family

Derrick Lewis has the biggest fight of his career upcoming against Roy Nelson at Fight Night Las Vegas on July 7. But Lewis isn't concerned about the divisions or rankings, he just wants to provide f read news >>

Can Luke Rockhold Be Anderson Silva's True Successor as Middleweight Kingpin?

Since losing his UFC debut to Vitor Belfort in May 2013, Luke Rockhold has been on a devastating run. He has finished all five of his opponents, three by submission and two with strikes, and only one read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

Like Brock Lesnar, The Rock Once Considered a UFC Career

What if Dwayne Johnson, aka The Rock, one of the biggest stars in WWE history, had made the move to the UFC? read news >>

Brock Lesnar Returns to UFC: The Defining Moments of His MMA Career to Date

Brock Lesnar is a large man, in multiple ways. Granted, none of his other largenesses happen without his physical largeness, but even so he looms over both pro wrestling and MMA as a bona fide supers read news >>

How Well Do You Remember the Career of Kimbo Slice?

Test your knowledge with a look back at the life and career of Kimbo Slice. read news >>

Ben Reiter Expecting to ‘Impose His Will’ at Bellator 156

Though he suffered the first loss of his career last November to Francisco France at Bellator 146, middleweight up-and-comer Ben Reiter doesn’t feel he was beaten in the fight. read news >>