Few could deny that Vitor Belfort has been on a roll of late.

“The Phenom” has won four of his last five fights since coming up short in his bid to capture the UFC middleweight title from Anderson Silva, with only a short-notice defeat to reigning light heavyweight champion and pound-for-pound standout Jon Jones marring his record in that span.

On Saturday night, Belfort notched another of his trademark knockouts, finishing former Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold in the UFC on FX 8 main event at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The victory was not brought about by Belfort’s famous left hand, however, as the Brazilian instead clipped Rockhold with a gorgeous spinning heel kick that planted the American on the canvas. What followed was vintage Belfort, with the former light heavyweight champion battering Rockhold into unconsciousness with ground-and-pound midway through the opening frame.

Belfort, who made his professional debut in 1996 as a heavyweight, was once regarded by many as MMA’s poster child for squandered potential. However, that has changed with the 36-year-old’s resurgent success since dropping to 185 pounds nearly five years ago.

“I was part of two jungles. I’m the T-Rex, surviving in this new jungle, so I’m rebuilding myself, and God has given me the strength. Just as I used to be strong then, I am strong now,” Belfort told Fox Sports following his victory over Rockhold. “I think it was just this burning inside of me that said, ‘You didn’t accomplish what you [could have].’ I lacked so many things in my career. I [made] so many mistakes. “Dana [White] and Lorenzo [Fertitta] gave me the chance. I sat down with them, and I promised to give my best. I said I would finish as strong as I can. And I made a promise to my family and my spiritual father that I was going to finish strong,” Belfort continued. “If I don’t have the desire to go to the gym -- the desire to improve and [gain] new skills, then I should retire. I still have a lot of gas left in my tank. I thank God for giving me the strength.”

Belfort, who declined to call out an opponent following his spectacular knockout, attributes much of this year’s success to his camp, the Florida-based Blackzilians.

“I got [boxing coach] Pedro Diaz and [wrestling coach] Kenny Monday and [striking coach] Henri Hooft in my corner. I have the best team -- the Blackzilians,” said Belfort. “I have the best setup. They put me through training like a science. I was doing seven rounds of seven minutes with four different guys. We really have the best of the best in every area. The Blackzilians have a setup now like I never had in my life, and we have many great fighters, as well.”

From Around the Web

UFC Fight Night 62's Erick Silva fighting for friends and family, not fans and promoter

RIO DE JANEIRO – Erick Silva’s UFC career can be described as consistently inconsistent. He’s appeared nine times inside the promotion’s octagon, and in that stretch has never won or lost two fights read news >>

Rescheduled Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort being targeted for UFC 187 in May

The heavily anticipated UFC middleweight title fight between champ Chris Weidman and top contender Vitor Belfort that was supposed to take place next week appears to have a new home. read news >>

UFC 184 results: Tony Ferguson chokes out Gleison Tibau

Tony Ferguson picked up arguably the biggest win over his career with a first round submission victory over Gleison Tibau at UFC 184. A lot of times, a fighter sees a fight disappear weeks out when h read news >>

UFC 184 Musings - Part One

I’ve covered Holly Holm’s career since she held the top spot on female boxing’s pound-for-pound list, so when she came over to MMA full-time... read news >>

Vitor Belfort has no regrets about balking on UFC 184 fight: 'I'm the guy who has saved many events'

Vitor Belfort could have fought at UFC 184 after Chris Weidman went down with a rib injury. The UFC offered him a few opponents; Belfort's team countered with some of their own. At the end of the day read news >>

Vitor Belfort has 'saved many events,' feels no regret for turning down interim title fights at UFC 184

Vitor Belfort and his team knew fans and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brass would not be pleased once it was revealed "The Phenom" turned down interim title fights at UFC 184 against Lyoto Ma read news >>

UFC 187's Vitor Belfort: 'I don’t read comments,' 'I don’t look too much at the media'

Barring yet another setback, the long-awaited UFC middleweight title fight between champion Chris Weidman and challenger Vitor Belfort will finally take place at UFC 187.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Henry Cejudo on UFC champs Johnson, Dillashaw: 'I'm a bad matchup for both'

Henry Cejudo gets a second chance at a UFC flyweight career on Saturday when he faces former title contender Chris Cariaso at UFC 185. He already fumbled the opportunity once before, but he’s determi read news >>

Chris Weidman on Vitor Belfort's drug tests: 'I hope there's seven more'

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman responded to Vitor Belfort's whining about getting drug tested more than him. read news >>