Vitor Belfort Announces He’s Facing Cung Le on UFC 139 Fight Card in San Jose


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Cung Le

Vitor Belfort wants to keep busy and former Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le wants to fight in the UFC. Wish granted on both accounts.

In a bout now secured for UFC 139 in San Jose, Calif., Vitor Belfort will meet Cung Le in a middleweight fight on the card.

Belfort announced the fight via his website and also made the announcement via his Twitter account late Saturday night.

Cung Le on Saturday morning added his own confirmation of the fight via Twitter. “San Jose here we go UFC 139! I am honored to be part of the UFC and would like to thank Dana White & Lorenzo Fertitta for this opportunity.”

Following a disappointing loss to Anderson Silva for the middleweight gold, former UFC champion Vitor Belfort came back in blistering fashion at UFC 133, where he put away Yoshihiro Akiyama in less than two minutes.

Now the Brazilian phenom will step into the cage at UFC 139 to face a local legend who gets to live his dream.

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le has been a busy guy over the last year, but none of that had to do with his fight career. Le has become very active with acting roles in Hollywood, and hasn’t fought since June 2010, but had the hunger to come back to the sport, if the right conditions existed.

“I know for a fact that if I do fight again, it’s going to be in the UFC. I’ve never fought in the UFC, but I would love to fight in the UFC,” Le told MMAWeekly.com when appearing at the San Diego Comic Con in July.

Now it appears Le is getting his wish to fight in the UFC, and he’ll do so in front of his adopted hometown crowd in San Jose.

Le becomes the latest fighter defection from Strikeforce after being purchased by Zuffa earlier this year. Former welterweight champion Nick Diaz as well as former heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem are now both out of Strikeforce and in the UFC. Current Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson is also deep in talks to rejoin the UFC, which would make three champions plus one former champion out of Strikeforce and on the UFC roster.

While the UFC has yet to officially announce UFC 139, the card is expected to take place on Nov. 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose. Belfort vs. Le is almost guaranteed a main card slot, and it may even garner co-main event status when all is said and done.

(UPDATED on Sept. 10, 2011 to include Cung Le’s confirmation of the fight.)


Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 26 days ago
  • 74 views

Because Brazil is the one place Belfort can still get licensed lickety-split. Lyoto Machida has a chance to capture the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight title this Saturday night (July 5, 2014) when he fights Chris Weidman in the UFC 175 pay-per-view (PPV) main event, which goes down inside Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. But Vitor Belfort can only see the "All American." That means "The Phenom" will be waiting for Weidman at the conclusion of this weekend's mix more

  • 22 days ago
  • 53 views

Chris Weidman sat down with the Media during the build up to 175 and talked about the recent rash of drug test failures in the UFC, and he had some harsh words for Vitor Belfort most particularly. more

  • 20 days ago
  • 11 views

Chris Weidman defended his UFC middleweight title for the second time at UFC 175, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida. It was an excellent fight that pushed Weidman further than he had ever gone before. The champion got the nod on all three judges' scorecards to retain the title. With another contender down, who will be next up for Weidman? At the UFC post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White brought up the name Vitor Belfort. Belfort is currently the No. 2-ranked contend more

  • 20 days ago
  • 20 views

On Saturday night, Chris Weidman stepped in the cage looking to defend his middleweight title against the former light heavyweight champion, Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida. After an intense, back-and-forth battle, which won Fight of the Night, Weidman was declared the winner by unanimous decision (49-45, 48-47, 49-46). At the post-fight press conference, Dana White was asked about Weidman's next possible fight, and the name that White gave was another former light heavyweight champion, Vitor "The Ph more

  • 20 days ago
  • 12 views

Perennial UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort feels he's been waiting on the sidelines for too long and is ready for another crack at UFC gold. Following 185-pound champ Chris Weidman's hard-fought win by decision over Lyoto Machida at UFC 175 Saturday night, "The Phenom" was quick to make it known on Twitter that he wants the next shot at "The All-American": Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT — Vitor Belfo more

  • 20 days ago
  • 40 views

Vitor Belfort could miss out once again on a shot at UFC middleweight champ Chris Weidman due to pending issues with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The Brazilian legend was originally slated to fight Weidman at UFC 173, but he was removed from the card and replaced with Lyoto Machida after the NSAC banned the use of testosterone replacement therapy, a treatment Belfort was on. The fight ended up being moved to UFC 175 after Weidman suffered a knee injury in training. Belfort was then give more

  • 19 days ago
  • 46 views

It didn't take long after the judges announced Chris Weidman had retained his belt for Vitor Belfort to call out the champion. Following his unanimous decision win over Lyoto Machida, Weidman was the target of a Belfort Twitter call out for a title shot. If you remember, Belfort was supposed to be in the UFC 175 main event opposite Weidman, but he was flagged for high testosterone levels in a pre-fight screening and subsequently removed from the main event. Belfort, who has challenged for the ti more

  • 10 days ago
  • 67 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

  • 3 days ago
  • 68 views

UFC vets Chael Sonnen and Vitor Belfort will appear today before the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and the UFC streams the hearing via UFC Fight Pass beginning at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, WSOF more