Video: UFC announcer Bruce Buffer recounts elevator fight with Frank Trigg

UFC cage announcer and new author Bruce Buffer is finally dishing the goods on one of the more intriguing fights in UFC history.

Buffer was a participant. So was former UFC welterweight Frank Trigg. It took place in a Florida elevator, and UFC President Dana White and broadcaster Mike Goldberg were among the three fight fans in attendance.

Buffer recounted the tale on Tuesday’s edition of “UFC Tonight” on FUEL TV, in which he discussed his newly release autobiography, “It’s Time: My 360-Degree View of the UFC.”

It took place back in June 2006, when the UFC held two shows at Las Vegas’ Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in just four days. During the downtime, Goldberg and Trigg hung out and were preparing for a night on the town. But as they got on the elevator, White was already there.

“As soon as we’re walking in, Frank’s asking Dana to put him back in the octagon, which is fine,” Buffer said about the fighter, who had the left UFC a year prior after losses to Matt Hughes and Georges St-Pierre. “But I’m a watch freak, and Dana had on this great wristband on his watch, and I stepped in front of Frank to look at the watch, and suddenly I get a ridge-hand (strike) in my throat.”

Buffer said he was shocked – and a bit perturbed.

“I looked at Frank, and I was like, ‘You hit me. Why the F did you hit me?’” he said. “And he said the wrong thing to me. He said, ‘What are you going to do about it?’ And I just reacted since my old street kicked in. I punched him twice in the stomach basically with the same power with the old rules of sparring, 60 percent equals 60 percent.”

But as the fight continued for the next 10 floors, Buffer said it soon turned to a 100 percent effort, as he recounted in his book. However, once they hit the lobby, Buffer, who had cut his knuckle and was leaking blood, declared they were done.

“I looked at Dana,” Buffer wrote in his book. “He was smiling; he seemed to have enjoyed this little altercation. So had Frank. And to tell you the truth, so had I.”

Buffer said he and Trigg soon made up and continued their night in Vegas, which he ultimately declared “a fun-filled evening to me.”

Check out the above clip for the full discussion.

From Around the Web

Former UFC title challenger Frank Trigg delves into the class action lawsuit filed against the UFC and where he stands on the matter. read news >>

Former titleholder Frank Mir handed Brock Lesnar his first career loss at UFC 81, submitting the eventual champion knee bar in the first round. read news >>

Before watching Frank Mir take on Antonio Silva in the UFC Fight Night main event in Porto Alegre, Brazil this Sunday, watch his unforgettable encounter with Brock Lesnar way back in 2008. When Frank read news >>

PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil – Antonio Silva is more than a 3-1 favorite against Frank Mir on Sunday. But Mir may have some tricks up his sleeve.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The official weigh in event for UFC Fight Night 61: "Bigfoot vs. Mir" went down earlier today (Sat., Feb. 21, 2015) from inside Gigantinho Gymnasium in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, featur read news >>

Watch Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir full fight video to see Brock Lesnar's UFC debut at UFC 81. Frank Mir defeated the former WWE star with a first-round submission. Lesnar would avenge the loss at UFC read news >>

• 1936 views

Two former champions with nothing everything to lose. Former EliteXC 265-pound kingpin Antonio Silva (18-6-1) has beaten some of the greatest fighters to ever compete in the heavyweight division. Not read news >>

Watch Frank Mir vs. Bigfoot Silva full fight video highlights from UFC Fight Night 61's main event above, courtesy of ESPN. UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Bigfoot took place February 22, 2015 at the Ginasi read news >>

Watch the full fight video highlights for the UFC Fight Night main event between Frank Mir and Antonio Silva. A night filled with upsets culminated in another underdog victory, as former heavyweight read news >>