Video: UFC announcer Bruce Buffer recounts elevator fight with Frank Trigg

UFC cage announcer and new author Bruce Buffer is finally dishing the goods on one of the more intriguing fights in UFC history.

Buffer was a participant. So was former UFC welterweight Frank Trigg. It took place in a Florida elevator, and UFC President Dana White and broadcaster Mike Goldberg were among the three fight fans in attendance.

Buffer recounted the tale on Tuesday’s edition of “UFC Tonight” on FUEL TV, in which he discussed his newly release autobiography, “It’s Time: My 360-Degree View of the UFC.”

It took place back in June 2006, when the UFC held two shows at Las Vegas’ Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in just four days. During the downtime, Goldberg and Trigg hung out and were preparing for a night on the town. But as they got on the elevator, White was already there.

“As soon as we’re walking in, Frank’s asking Dana to put him back in the octagon, which is fine,” Buffer said about the fighter, who had the left UFC a year prior after losses to Matt Hughes and Georges St-Pierre. “But I’m a watch freak, and Dana had on this great wristband on his watch, and I stepped in front of Frank to look at the watch, and suddenly I get a ridge-hand (strike) in my throat.”

Buffer said he was shocked – and a bit perturbed.

“I looked at Frank, and I was like, ‘You hit me. Why the F did you hit me?’” he said. “And he said the wrong thing to me. He said, ‘What are you going to do about it?’ And I just reacted since my old street kicked in. I punched him twice in the stomach basically with the same power with the old rules of sparring, 60 percent equals 60 percent.”

But as the fight continued for the next 10 floors, Buffer said it soon turned to a 100 percent effort, as he recounted in his book. However, once they hit the lobby, Buffer, who had cut his knuckle and was leaking blood, declared they were done.

“I looked at Dana,” Buffer wrote in his book. “He was smiling; he seemed to have enjoyed this little altercation. So had Frank. And to tell you the truth, so had I.”

Buffer said he and Trigg soon made up and continued their night in Vegas, which he ultimately declared “a fun-filled evening to me.”

Check out the above clip for the full discussion.

Anthony Pettis will finally defend his lightweight championship title when he takes on Gilbert Melendez in the co-main event of tonight's (Sat., Dec. 6, 2014) UFC 181: "Hendricks vs. Lawler 2" pay-pe read news >>

Raquel Pennington talks about her fight after defeating Ashlee Evans-Smith at UFC 181. read news >>

It’s the fight MMA fans have been wanting for months, and it’s one the fighters even tried to have early with a little brawl in August. Check out the extended video preview of UFC 182 inside.Filed un read news >>

Sherdog.com reports from the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas, at approximately 7 p.m. ET with live UFC Fight Night “Edgar vs. Swanson” play-by-play. read news >>

Johny Hendricks is about to square up with Robbie Lawler for the second time, but first, take a look back at his epic fight with former UFC welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre from UFC 167. SEE AL read news >>

Bloody Elbow is the place to be on Friday, November 21st at 5 PM ET/2 PM PT for live streaming coverage of the UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Swanson weigh-ins from Austin, Texas. The UFC returns to Aust read news >>

At the UFC Fight Night 57 weigh-ins, all 24 fighters taking part in Saturday's UFC Fight Night 57 fights will step on the scale Friday, and we'll have the live video here at MMAFighting.com.In the ma read news >>

The official weigh-in event for UFC Fight Night 57: "Edgar vs. Swanson" takes place today (Fri., Nov. 21, 2014) from the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas. As usual, MMAmania.com will provide both read news >>

Saturday brings a pretty crucial fight in the UFC’s featherweight division, especially considering there’s another fight looming in January with a new superstar hopeful for a crack at gold with a win read news >>

Jump to: