Video: UFC announcer Bruce Buffer recounts elevator fight with Frank Trigg

UFC cage announcer and new author Bruce Buffer is finally dishing the goods on one of the more intriguing fights in UFC history.

Buffer was a participant. So was former UFC welterweight Frank Trigg. It took place in a Florida elevator, and UFC President Dana White and broadcaster Mike Goldberg were among the three fight fans in attendance.

Buffer recounted the tale on Tuesday’s edition of “UFC Tonight” on FUEL TV, in which he discussed his newly release autobiography, “It’s Time: My 360-Degree View of the UFC.”

It took place back in June 2006, when the UFC held two shows at Las Vegas’ Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in just four days. During the downtime, Goldberg and Trigg hung out and were preparing for a night on the town. But as they got on the elevator, White was already there.

“As soon as we’re walking in, Frank’s asking Dana to put him back in the octagon, which is fine,” Buffer said about the fighter, who had the left UFC a year prior after losses to Matt Hughes and Georges St-Pierre. “But I’m a watch freak, and Dana had on this great wristband on his watch, and I stepped in front of Frank to look at the watch, and suddenly I get a ridge-hand (strike) in my throat.”

Buffer said he was shocked – and a bit perturbed.

“I looked at Frank, and I was like, ‘You hit me. Why the F did you hit me?’” he said. “And he said the wrong thing to me. He said, ‘What are you going to do about it?’ And I just reacted since my old street kicked in. I punched him twice in the stomach basically with the same power with the old rules of sparring, 60 percent equals 60 percent.”

But as the fight continued for the next 10 floors, Buffer said it soon turned to a 100 percent effort, as he recounted in his book. However, once they hit the lobby, Buffer, who had cut his knuckle and was leaking blood, declared they were done.

“I looked at Dana,” Buffer wrote in his book. “He was smiling; he seemed to have enjoyed this little altercation. So had Frank. And to tell you the truth, so had I.”

Buffer said he and Trigg soon made up and continued their night in Vegas, which he ultimately declared “a fun-filled evening to me.”

Check out the above clip for the full discussion.

Is the world finally starting to recognize Sweden, which hosts Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 53 event, as an MMA hotbed? Swedish folks believe so.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Before Demetrious Johnson and Chris Cariaso square off in Saturday's UFC 178 main event, check out Johnson's second, and more definitive, victory over Joseph Benavidez. read news >>

On the 15th anniversary of UFC 22, Frank Shamrock remembers the greatest fight of his career, his victory over Tito Ortiz. read news >>

Rising featherweights Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier will finally battle in a highly-anticipated featherweight match up at UFC 178 this Saturday (Sept. 27, 2014) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in L read news >>

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz talks to the press about the long process of recovery, which cost him his belt, and his upcoming fight against Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 178. read news >>

Conor McGregor talks to the press about his upcoming fight against Dustin Poirier at UFC 178, and declares that, win or lose, it is him that everyone will be tuning in to the pay-per-view to see. read news >>

Reigning flyweight champion Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson flashed his quickness and technique against top challenger Joesph Benavidez at UFC on FOX 9. read news >>

Someone just can't let it go. Nate Diaz recently made peace with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White and the rest of the higher ups at ZUFFA by ending his year-long holdout. Tho read news >>

Dustin Poirier will get his opportunity to shut up Conor McGregor when the two square off in a featured match-up on the main card of tonight's (Sat., Sept. 27, 2014) UFC 178: "Johnson vs. Cariaso" pa read news >>