Vitor Vianna will enter Bellator 57 on a five-fight winning streak. | Photo: Keith Mills

In a standup confrontation, Russian middleweight Alexander Shlemenko is a whirling dervish of creativity, capable of unleashing a spinning back fist or exotic kick at a moment’s notice.

His striking aptitude has paid dividends, as the RusFighters Sport Club representative has earned 26 of his 42 career victories by knockout or technical knockout, including a second-round TKO of Brian Rogers in the Bellator Fighting Championships Season 5 middleweight tournament semifinals at Bellator 54 on Oct. 15.

Vitor Vianna, his opponent in the 185-pound final at Bellator 57 on Saturday in Rama, Ontario, Canada, is well aware of the dangers Shlemenko presents on the feet. That does not mean he is afraid to engage the Russian there, however.

“I can knock out anyone, and Alexander Shlemenko is no exception,” Vianna said. “All I need to do is punch him on the button, and he’s going down.”

The winner of their encounter receives $100,000, as well as a title shot against current Bellator middleweight king Hector Lombard.

A Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Rodrigo Medeiros, Vianna is noted for his ground skills, but three of his victories in a current five-fight winning streak have come via TKO. That includes a 54-second finish of Bryan Baker in their half of the middleweight bracket at Bellator 54. In that bout, the Brazilian dropped Rogers with an overhand right before finishing him with a barrage of hammer fists on the canvas.

As the bout began, Vianna felt that Baker was a little too nonchalant for his liking.

“I saw in his eyes before the fight; he didn’t give me the respect that I deserved, and it motivated me a lot,” he said.

Vianna felt extremely comfortable trading with Baker, whom many had tabbed as the tournament favorite following his TKO victory over Jared Hess at Bellator 50.

“My plan against Bryan Baker was exactly what I did -- keep the fight [standing] up and punch him very hard with small combinations,” Vianna said. “I trained that combination for him [for] about three weeks after my classes. He is good on the ground but has a lot of holes in his standup.”

While the Wand Fight Team product is confident he can trade strikes with Shlemenko, Vianna also realizes that his best opportunity for success could lie with his submission skills.

“I know Shlemenko is very capable on the ground, but I definitely feel like I can submit him. Whatever it takes; I’m here to be a champion,” he said.

Once considered one of the sport’s top unsigned talents coming out of Brazil, Vianna is quickly becoming an established commodity within Bellator’s middleweight ranks. A couple more victories will complete the transition.

“I want to show the world that I’m one of the best fighters on the planet,” Vianna said. “I can fight standup and on the ground. It doesn’t matter where the fight ends up -- I’m always ready to finish it.”

From Around the Web

After failed drug test, ex-Bellator champ Alexander Shlemenko looks to 'clear name'

When it comes to a recent failed drug test, former Bellator MMA champion Alexander Shlemenko isn’t going down without a fight.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Former champion Alexander Shlemenko denies cheating at Bellator 133

Former Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko plans on fighting his recent failed drug test. According to a press release issued by Shlemenko's management team, the Russian fighter is hop read news >>

Alexander Shlemenko hires lawyer ahead of drug test hearing, plans to go to the ‘bitter end’

Former Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko maintained his innocence in a statement released on Tuesday. Last month, former Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko tested pos read news >>

Former Bellator Champ Alexander Shlemenko Fighting Drug Test Failure

Former middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko intends to fight California State Athletic Commission charges that he failed his Bellator 133 post-fight drug test. read news >>

Michael Chandler vs. Derek Campos added to Bellator 138

Former Bellator champion Michael Chandler looks to get back on track at Bellator 138.Chandler has been slated to face Derek Campos at the Bellator event, which has been moved to June 19, in St. Louis read news >>

Bellator champ Joe Warren: Galvao 'a body they put in front of me to beat the sh-t out of'

Champ Joe Warren believes his offensive gameplan is the most important thing in determining the outcome of his Bellator 135 rematch with Andre Galvao.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Michael Chandler vs. Derek Campos joins Bellator 138, which moves to June 19

Former Bellator MMA lightweight champion Michael Chandler has taken a co-headliner slot on one of the company’s biggest cards of the year.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumors, News read news >>

Bellator 135 preview: Ryan Couture, son of a UFC legend, looks to make his own name in MMA

Former Strikeforce and UFC fighter Ryan Couture is currently working his way up Bellator's lightweight rankings after a successful debut last September. The next challenge ahead is Dakota Cochrane on read news >>

Bellator 135 preview: LC Davis prepared a 'good old-fashioned ass kicking' for Hideo Tokoro

LC Davis is a world-traveled fighter, having gone from Titan FC to WEC, all the way to Sengoku. But on March 27th, a man rarely seen outside the "Land of the Rising Sun" comes to Oklahoma to face him read news >>