Cain Velasquez may have handed Antonio Silva one of the bloodiest defeats in UFC history last year, but that does not mean the UFC heavyweight champion is overlooking the massive Brazilian in their rematch.

“This is a whole new fight. Obviously, we saw what ‘Bigfoot’ can do in his past two fights,” said Velasquez during a recent media conference call. “You can’t take him lightly. He’s a tough competitor and really dangerous in the Octagon. I don’t see it as anything less than a hard, grueling fight. That is what I am expecting.”

Velasquez and Silva will collide for a second time in the main event of UFC 160, which takes place May 25 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas -- the site of Velasquez’s one-sided triumph at UFC 146. That contest was notable for Velasquez’s complete domination of “Bigfoot,” as the American Kickboxing Academy standout put Silva on his back early and punished him with an extended barrage of punches and elbows until referee Josh Rosenthal had seen enough.

Following that victory, Velasquez went on to recapture the UFC heavyweight title from Junior dos Santos, avenging his 2011 defeat to “Cigano” by blasting the Brazilian for 25 minutes en route to a unanimous decision victory this past December at UFC 155. In spite of those superior performances, Velasquez maintains that he is still eager to show why he is regarded as the sport’s finest heavyweight.

“To me, [defending the belt] is the most important thing, just to hold onto it. This is the position I want to be in. I have to go out there and perform,” said Velasquez. “As far as motivation, it’s there. A rematch is what it is. We fought before, and you learn from that fight, but you can’t think too much of it.”

Silva, meanwhile, rattled off back-to-back knockout wins following his defeat to Velasquez, first stopping previously unbeaten Hawaiian Travis Browne before wrecking the favored Alistair Overeem on Feb. 2 at UFC 156.

Though Velasquez plans to utilize a similar strategy in his rematch with Silva, the champion is fully aware that his foe will likely alter his approach in an effort to produce a different result.

“I have to be ready for everything, for whatever his game plan is -- if he comes out more aggressive or comes with different stuff,” Velasquez said. “I’m hungry, and I want the win. Obviously there might be a different game plan from ‘Bigfoot,’ maybe, but that’s the only thing that is different in this fight. As far as being hungry and wanting the win, I am 100 percent there.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Cain Velasquez Says He Was Ready for UFC 207, Disagrees with Decision to Cancel

  • 21 days ago
  • 11 views

Former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, whose rematch with Fabricio Werdum at Friday's UFC 207 was canceled under some strange circumstances, released a statement on Wednesday offering his side o read news >>

Cain Velasquez Details UFC 207 Removal, Declares His Readiness to Fight | MMAWeekly.com

  • 21 days ago
  • 22 views

After the Nevada Athletic Commission pulled Cain Velasquez from his UFC 207 bout with Fabricio Werdum, the former champion issued a lengthy statement. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum posts text messages to Dana White offering to fight at UFC 207 for $500,000

  • 20 days ago
  • 152 views

When Cain Velasquez was forced out of his bout with Fabricio Werdum at UFC 207, the pay-per-view main card lost a strong heavyweight fight. Werdum was almost able to stay on the card and face a late- read news >>

Joe Rogan Lists Cain Velasquez' Top 8 Moments (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 49 views

Joe Rogan counts down the Ultimate 8 performances from former heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez before he battles Fabricio Verdum a second time at UFC 207. read news >>

With Cain Velasquez Out, Fabricio Werdum Wants Championship Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

  • 23 days ago
  • 19 views

With his planned UFC 207 bout with Cain Velasquez canceled, Fabricio Werdum quickly shifted his focus to a rematch with heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic. read news >>

UFC 207 Primer: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum Head-to-Toe Breakdown

  • 26 days ago
  • 19 views

Back in June of 2015, Fabricio Werdum squared off against Cain Velasquez in Mexico City for the undisputed heavyweight title. Now the pair are set to square off again, this time as part of the UFC 20 read news >>

No, Cain Velasquez is Not Out of His UFC 207 Fight with Fabricio Werdum | MMAWeekly.com

  • 26 days ago
  • 153 views

Despite a report that Cain Velasquez was out of his scheduled UFC 207 bout with Fabricio Werdum, he said he is "in shape and ready to go." read news >>

Video: With their UFC 207 rematch scratched, watch the first Cain Velasquez-Fabricio Werdum fight instead

  • 24 days ago
  • 25 views

Two former heavyweight champions were set to rematch next week at UFC 207, though no belts were on the line. However, prior to that second fight, Cain Velasquez was ruled ineligible to face Fabricio read news >>

Cain Velasquez out of UFC 207 bout with Fabrico Werdum

  • 25 days ago
  • 93 views

In a story that feels all too familiar to the career narrative of Cain Velasquez, the former heavyweight champion has been forced out of a fight due to physical issues.Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

Twitter reacts to Cain Velasquez being pulled from UFC 207, including a replacement offer

  • 25 days ago
  • 270 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has been forced out of yet another fight. This time it’s his UFC 207 rematch with Fabricio Werdum that’s been scrapped. Just one week before the Dec. 30 read news >>