VIDEO: Wanderlei Silva Says NSAC Issues Behind Him, Wants Sonnen or Belfort Next


UFC light heavyweight Wanderlei Silva says he has resolved his issues with the Nevada State Athletic Commission and is awaiting a matchup with either old rival Chael Sonnen or fellow Brazilian Vitor Belfort.

"The Axe Murderer" released a video on his YouTube channel explaining his take on Tuesday's hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. 

"When they sent that guy to my gym I was still taking diuretics. And when you fail a test, people don’t want to know if it was diuretics or steroids. I don’t use PEDs or steroids, I have never used it and I’ve never had any problems in that area. I have never failed a doping test before. I have nothing to hide and I am glad we solved this ... Now I’m waiting for Sonnen’s suspension to end or Belfort to get licensed. Let’s go to the next. I will keep training 100%.”

Silva was asked to appear at the hearing for refusing a random drug test last month, per MMA Fighting

For the record, the Brazilian brawler has never failed a drug test for performance-enhancing drugs in 49 professional fights.

However, if he really plans on waiting for Sonnen or Belfort, Silva is probably going to be stuck on the sidelines for quite a while.

Sonnen retired from the sport after failing a random drug test for two anti-estrogenic drugs and appears content to work as a FOX Sports 1 analyst, for the time being at least. 

"The American Gangster" was also handed a temporary suspension by the NSAC at the same Tuesday hearing, so it's anyone's guess when his punishment will be handed down or how severe it will be.

As far as Belfort is concerned, he was removed from the UFC 175 card in the midst of this whole mess, so he remains without a license from the NSAC, per MMA Junkie

Belfort admitted that he failed a NSAC-issued random drug test in February for elevated levels of testosterone, but there is no telling what the repercussions of that will be until he applies for a fighter's license. 

Silva hasn't fought since delivering a vintage knockout against Brian Stann at UFC on FUEL 8 in Japan last March, and he does't look like he is going to be rebooked any time soon.

John Heinis is a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report. He is also the MMA editor for eDraft.com. 

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 10 days ago
  • 12 views

Video: Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight and part-time light heavyweight Wanderlei Silva has retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) after a career that spanned nearly 20 years, includi read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 41 views

The former UFC middleweight contender spoke with MMAmania.com to help promote his upcoming gig as analyst for Battlegrounds O.N.E. on October 3, 2014 alongside wrestling legend Jim Ross. With the rec read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 6 views

Former Pride champion and UFC veteran Wanderlei Silva on Friday released a video announcing his retirement and did not mince words when it came to the way the UFC treats its fighters. read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 28 views

Dana White thinks that Wanderlei Silva's video bashing the UFC was an attempt at putting up a 'smokescreen' before his appearance with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Days before he was punishe read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 22 views

In a lengthy and oftentimes rambling video, MMA legend Wanderlei Silva on Friday announced his retirement from MMA – while offering up some big criticisms of the UFC.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 9 views

Chael Sonnen says he forgives Wanderlei Silva for the PED issues during the lead up to their bout. Chael Sonnen recently spoke to MMA Mania about Wanderlei Silva's recent issues with the commissions. read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 54 views

Don't say Dana White didn't tell you so ... at least when it comes to his recently-retired "Axe Murderer." Wanderlei Silva recently announced his retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA), posting an read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 65 views

The mma legend, former Pride champ and UFC fan favorite released a video today announcing his retirement and harshly criticizing the UFC. Big news from Brazil. MMA legend Wanderlei Silva today releas read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 3 views

Former PRIDE champ and UFC veteran Wanderlei Silva is less than thrilled after being handed a lifetime ban by the Nevada State Athletic Commission Tuesday, and he isn't shy about saying so. The Axe M read news >>