United States, Please Welcome Invicta Fighter Ayaka Hamasaki

Invicta FC LogoWhile she may not be as familiar a name to American MMA fans as fellow Japanese stars Hitomi Akano or Megumi Fujii, Ayaka Hamasaki will get her opportunity to shine on the US stage as part of Saturday’s Invicta FC 2 in Kansas City, Kan.

“I am looking forward to this, and I am so happy I am able to fight in America,” Hamasaki told MMAWeekly.com.

“It’s going to be a long trip so I am going to make sure I won’t get exhausted from the flight and will be in a best condition on the day of the fight.”

Hamasaki was originally going to fight Jasminka Cive, but she was forced off the card due to visa issues. Stepping in for Cive will be Ring of Fire veteran Lacy Schuckman.

While individual strategy may have changed, Hamasaki’s overall game plan remains the same in that she doesn’t “want to get into (Schuckman’s) rhythm, instead I want to control the fight in my way.”

Having never fought under the American unified MMA rules before, Hamasaki was asked how she feels she’ll be able to adjust Saturday night.

“(This may be the first time) I have to go to three rounds and also this is the first time I am fighting under the rules where elbow to the head is allowed, so I am bit concerned, but more than anything I am looking forward to enjoy this new environment,” replied Hamasaki.

“I have been training under the unified rules so it’s not going to be any problem.”

It wouldn’t be surprising if Hamasaki’s goal was to establish a 115-pound title in Invicta to go along with her belt in the Jewels promotion, but of right now, her focus is firmly affixed on Saturday night.

“For me, (an Invicta) title is not such an important issue right now, I just want to win first,” she said.

“I am so happy to be able to fight in front to fans in America. I am going to show my best, so please come and see my fight!”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

How Melvin Manhoef can still walk into any bro pub in the United States and not be recognized is an affront to the dignity of most hardcore MMA fans. But don't worry; he’s working on it. “Not so much read news >>

For the first time in its history, the UFC tipped most of its hand for a full calendar year.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

• a day ago

"I think he would crap his pants. Fighting in the United States is easy. I want to see him fighting me in Brazil. It's completely different. Dillashaw is talking too much crap. If we fight again, you read news >>

Veteran fighter Lyman Good knows what it’s like to be undefeated. He also knows what it’s like to lose that unblemished record, a feeling he intends on handing Jonavin Webb on Saturday at CFFC 43.Fil read news >>

Barb Honchak and Vanessa Porto battled it out to determine the inaugural Invicta flyweight champion at Invicta FC 5 in April 2013. read news >>

Barb Honchak understands what her Invicta title means to her famed gym. The legend of the Miletich Fighting Systems camp in Bettendorf, Iowa, was made through a series of firsts: Founder and UFC Hall read news >>

Invicta Fighting Championships will return to UFC Fight Pass on Saturday with Invicta FC 9, which is headlined by a flyweight title fight pitting Barb Honchak against Takayo Hashi. read news >>

The Invicta FC 9 fighters weighed in on Friday with the main event title fight getting a green light, but two undercard fighters missing weight. read news >>

A quick look at the action from Invicta FC 9, headlined by Barb Honchak successfully defending her flyweight title against Takayo Hashi. Tonight's Invicta 9 card was arguably the worst in the young h read news >>

Jump to: