United States, Please Welcome Invicta Fighter Ayaka Hamasaki

Invicta FC LogoWhile she may not be as familiar a name to American MMA fans as fellow Japanese stars Hitomi Akano or Megumi Fujii, Ayaka Hamasaki will get her opportunity to shine on the US stage as part of Saturday’s Invicta FC 2 in Kansas City, Kan.

“I am looking forward to this, and I am so happy I am able to fight in America,” Hamasaki told MMAWeekly.com.

“It’s going to be a long trip so I am going to make sure I won’t get exhausted from the flight and will be in a best condition on the day of the fight.”

Hamasaki was originally going to fight Jasminka Cive, but she was forced off the card due to visa issues. Stepping in for Cive will be Ring of Fire veteran Lacy Schuckman.

While individual strategy may have changed, Hamasaki’s overall game plan remains the same in that she doesn’t “want to get into (Schuckman’s) rhythm, instead I want to control the fight in my way.”

Having never fought under the American unified MMA rules before, Hamasaki was asked how she feels she’ll be able to adjust Saturday night.

“(This may be the first time) I have to go to three rounds and also this is the first time I am fighting under the rules where elbow to the head is allowed, so I am bit concerned, but more than anything I am looking forward to enjoy this new environment,” replied Hamasaki.

“I have been training under the unified rules so it’s not going to be any problem.”

It wouldn’t be surprising if Hamasaki’s goal was to establish a 115-pound title in Invicta to go along with her belt in the Jewels promotion, but of right now, her focus is firmly affixed on Saturday night.

“For me, (an Invicta) title is not such an important issue right now, I just want to win first,” she said.

“I am so happy to be able to fight in front to fans in America. I am going to show my best, so please come and see my fight!”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

The WSOF 18 fighter weigh-ins are in the books, and the headliners are official for Thursday’s event.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Matt Brown has only lost to one fighter in the past three years: UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler. Brown said he doesn’t obsess over the defeat, but he’d certainly like a second chance one, an read news >>

Read on for Invicta FC 11 results... read news >>

LOS ANGELES -- Cris "Cyborg" Justino will be an Invicta FC fighter for at least one more event. Justino will headline an Invicta event July 10 in Las Vegas, a card that will be held as part of the UF read news >>

Demetrious Johnson discusses who he wants to defend his title against next on The MMA Hour. read news >>

Vitor Belfort was offered an interim title bout with Lyoto Machida when Chris Weidman pulled out from UFC 184 with a rib injury, but "The Phenom" turned down the fight. Fellow middleweight contender read news >>

Chris Weidman says Anderson Silva didn't look impressive against Nick Diaz, and would rather see him retire with a win. Chris Weidman appeared at the MMA Hour and was candid as he spoke about Anderso read news >>

Josh Jauncey is one of the hottest rising talents in kickboxing today. Hear about his big plans for the future in this exclusive Bloody Elbow interview, then watch Jauncey in action this Friday at Gl read news >>

Fourth-ranked UFC middleweight Vitor Belfort didn't just make an impulsive decision to turn down an interim title bout with third-ranked Lyoto Machida. Truth be told, Belfort decided after his last b read news >>