United States, Please Welcome Invicta Fighter Ayaka Hamasaki

Invicta FC LogoWhile she may not be as familiar a name to American MMA fans as fellow Japanese stars Hitomi Akano or Megumi Fujii, Ayaka Hamasaki will get her opportunity to shine on the US stage as part of Saturday’s Invicta FC 2 in Kansas City, Kan.

“I am looking forward to this, and I am so happy I am able to fight in America,” Hamasaki told MMAWeekly.com.

“It’s going to be a long trip so I am going to make sure I won’t get exhausted from the flight and will be in a best condition on the day of the fight.”

Hamasaki was originally going to fight Jasminka Cive, but she was forced off the card due to visa issues. Stepping in for Cive will be Ring of Fire veteran Lacy Schuckman.

While individual strategy may have changed, Hamasaki’s overall game plan remains the same in that she doesn’t “want to get into (Schuckman’s) rhythm, instead I want to control the fight in my way.”

Having never fought under the American unified MMA rules before, Hamasaki was asked how she feels she’ll be able to adjust Saturday night.

“(This may be the first time) I have to go to three rounds and also this is the first time I am fighting under the rules where elbow to the head is allowed, so I am bit concerned, but more than anything I am looking forward to enjoy this new environment,” replied Hamasaki.

“I have been training under the unified rules so it’s not going to be any problem.”

It wouldn’t be surprising if Hamasaki’s goal was to establish a 115-pound title in Invicta to go along with her belt in the Jewels promotion, but of right now, her focus is firmly affixed on Saturday night.

“For me, (an Invicta) title is not such an important issue right now, I just want to win first,” she said.

“I am so happy to be able to fight in front to fans in America. I am going to show my best, so please come and see my fight!”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The United States Marshal's Service and Simi Valley police arrested Jon "War Machine" Koppenhaver in a Simi Valley extended stay suite earlier today. Sorry Dog, looks like the police didn't need any read news >>

Not surprisingly, "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler topped the UFC on FOX 12 payroll en route to earning another shot at the UFC welterweight championship. read news >>

Former Invicta FC atomweight champion Jessica Penne moved up a weight class for The Ultimate Fighter 20 and believes she has an advantage heading into the reality show. read news >>

• 13 hours ago

The Ultimate Fighter 3 winner Michael Bisping plans to make a run for the middleweight title starting with a win over Cung Le at UFC Fight Night 48 in Macao. read news >>

UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem suggested that Fabricio Werdum may edge Cain Velasquez in their title fight at UFC 180, and that he would be interested in re-matching the Brazilian for the heavyweig read news >>

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis talks about coaching TUF 20, his first title defense and his campaign to get on a Wheaties box. read news >>

Garrett Holeve, a 24-year-old mixed martial arts fighter with Down syndrome, is fighting to make his dreams of stepping into the cage a reality. “I can [do it]. Don’t mess with me,” Holeve said in an read news >>

Chris Cariaso discusses his UFC 177 flyweight title fight against Demetrious Johnson. read news >>

Tom Egan, the first Irish fighter to compete in the UFC, looks back at the magical UFC Dublin show on Saturday. read news >>