United States, Please Welcome Invicta Fighter Ayaka Hamasaki

• submit to reddit

Invicta FC LogoWhile she may not be as familiar a name to American MMA fans as fellow Japanese stars Hitomi Akano or Megumi Fujii, Ayaka Hamasaki will get her opportunity to shine on the US stage as part of Saturday’s Invicta FC 2 in Kansas City, Kan.

“I am looking forward to this, and I am so happy I am able to fight in America,” Hamasaki told MMAWeekly.com.

“It’s going to be a long trip so I am going to make sure I won’t get exhausted from the flight and will be in a best condition on the day of the fight.”

Hamasaki was originally going to fight Jasminka Cive, but she was forced off the card due to visa issues. Stepping in for Cive will be Ring of Fire veteran Lacy Schuckman.

While individual strategy may have changed, Hamasaki’s overall game plan remains the same in that she doesn’t “want to get into (Schuckman’s) rhythm, instead I want to control the fight in my way.”

Having never fought under the American unified MMA rules before, Hamasaki was asked how she feels she’ll be able to adjust Saturday night.

“(This may be the first time) I have to go to three rounds and also this is the first time I am fighting under the rules where elbow to the head is allowed, so I am bit concerned, but more than anything I am looking forward to enjoy this new environment,” replied Hamasaki.

“I have been training under the unified rules so it’s not going to be any problem.”

It wouldn’t be surprising if Hamasaki’s goal was to establish a 115-pound title in Invicta to go along with her belt in the Jewels promotion, but of right now, her focus is firmly affixed on Saturday night.

“For me, (an Invicta) title is not such an important issue right now, I just want to win first,” she said.

“I am so happy to be able to fight in front to fans in America. I am going to show my best, so please come and see my fight!”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Try not to blow yourself up. It's July 4, 2014, which means most of the United States is celebrating Independence Day. That equates to barbecues, fireworks, crappy Will Smith movies, and all sorts of other traditions for this summertime holiday. And for those of you MMA Maniacs who don't live stateside, I've included a nice little pic of our two favorite Octagon girls, Brittney Palmer and Arianny Celeste, courtesy of BrittneyPalmer.com. Speaking of fireworks, we have a stacked weekend of mixed m more

On Saturday, WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje meets fellow undefeated fighter Nick Newell in the promotion’s first event to air on NBC. Watch the full video of Gaethje’s destruction of Dan Lauzon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Videos, WSOF more

When a fighter loses a title fight, he usually has to go back to the drawing board, see what went wrong and figure out how to come back stronger. Some are able to do that very well and get back in title contention quickly. Others, like Frank Mir, don't do so well after a title loss. With more divisions and fighters now than ever before, there are far more title fights and far more title contenders. Some contenders are ready for a second or maybe even a third shot at the belt. Let's see who they more

The 16 fighters who will compete for the UFC's first strawweight title was announced Thursday.Some of the notable names include Invicta strawweight champion Carla Esparza and former Invicta FC atomweight champion Jessica Penne.They will be coached by UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and former Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez. The show began filming earlier this week.Check out the TUF 20 cast below.Heather Jo ClarkEmily KaganAisling DalyLisa EllisCarla EsparzaFelice Herri more

ONE FC will make its debut in the United Arab Emirates next month with a card set to feature four title fights. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News more

After failing to wrest the belt from UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, former Olympian Sara McMann will face another champion in her next bout. more

For Chris Weidman, the UFC 175 main event against Lyoto Machida presents an opportunity to begin his era. It wasn't enough for Weidman to win the title while remaining undefeated; he had to enter a second bout with Anderson Silva as the underdog champ. Weidman is still undefeated and can finally emerge from Silva's shadow into the spotlight. On Saturday night, he meets one of the sport's most dangerous strikers in Machida, a man on a mission to become just the third fighter in history to win a t more

Lyoto Machida will get his chance to claim the Middleweight title tonight (Sat., July 5, 2014) when he battles division champion Chris Weidman at UFC 175. Does "The Dragon" have what it takes to become one of few fighters to have held titles in two different weight classes? Later tonight (Sat., July 5, 2014) at UFC 175, the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Middleweight title is up for grabs. And for the first time in a very long time, Anderson Silva is not involved. Instead, his teammate, Ly more

After nine months off, Invicta Fighting Championships will return in September with its debut on the UFC’s Fight Pass digital network.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more