035_jodie_esquibel_vs_liz_mccarthyAfter starting off her career with sometimes an entire year between fights, to have a quick turnaround after her last bout this past January is a big deal for Jackson’s MMA 105-pound fighter Jodie Esquibel.

“To keep that momentum going, it’s huge,” said Esquibel. “I’ve gone a year between fights and it’s hard. You want to say there’s no ring rust or cage rust, but you know what, I feel it does sometimes play a part in your fights.

“Also, I don’t know about other people, but for me it’s hard (to return to training after a long layoff). I do enjoy the time off. I’ve got a lot of other things going on and when it’s off time, it’s off time, so I’m truly glad I was able to stay in the swing of things.”

Staying at the top of her game is especially important for Esquibel now that she’s part of Invicta FC. She learned that the hard way in her debut for the promotion in January versus Liz McCarthy.

“That fight was extremely tough,” said Esquibel. “I don’t know if everybody knows how well-rounded Liz was. I felt like I needed to control the fight and I think that’s what got me the edge in the decision.

“I learned a lot about myself, training and the next level. I really feel like I grew as a fighter from that fight.”

Four months after her win over McCarthy, Esquibel once again returns to Invicta FC on Friday against Australian Alex Chambers in a featured 105-pound showdown.

“Just like with any other fight, I have to fight my fight,” said Esquibel. “I feel like I’ve rounded myself out and that’s what MMA is all about. People always ask where I see the fight going; it’s an MMA fight, I feel comfortable wherever we’re at.

“I know we both pride ourselves in standing up, which in MMA with the little gloves can be unforgiving, so I’ve just got to stay strong and on my game plan. I know if I perform to my full potential I will come out victorious.”

Following years of sparse competition in her weight class, Esquibel is excited for her future at strawweight in Invicta.

“I went a long time with fights falling through and moving up weight classes because we couldn’t find 105’ers, but now the 105 division is stacked,” she said. “There’s girls coming out of the woodwork and they’re extremely talented and awesome.

“I’m happy to be in the division that I’m at because there’s such a high level of competition. With the pace that I’m going and with some more fights underneath me, I’m ready to make a run at it this year. I feel like I’m in a good spot. I’m in a good place in my life and I’m ready to go.”

Angela Hill Thriving as She Heads into Invicta FC Title Fight on Saturday

Angela Hill is on a roll, thriving as she heads into Saturday's Invicta FC title fight with strawweight champ Livia Renata Souza. read news >>

Invicta FC 17 Results: Tonya Evinger Retains 135-Pound Belt; Angela Hill Wins Strawweight Strap

Invicta FC 17 hit Southern California on Saturday night and the ladies did not disappoint. read news >>

MMA Champion Tonya Evinger Defends Title, Surprises Announcer with a Kiss

Invicta FC 17 was quite the night of fights. Charmaine Tweet put Latoya Walker's lights out with a smooth spinning backfist. Angela Hill established herself as a top strawweight by taking Livia Renat read news >>

Invicta FC 17: Evinger keep rolling; Hill claims gold

Saturday night in Costa Mesa, California, the surging bantamweight champion successfully defended her title for the second time, extending her winning streak to nine with a unanimous decision win ove read news >>

Cyborg vs. Leslie Smith Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 198

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino finally made her UFC debut, and while it wasn't against the opponent everyone once expected, she delivered a predictable result. Cyborg defeated Leslie Smith via first-roun read news >>

Stipe Miocic Finally Breaks Veteran Stranglehold on UFC Heavyweight Title

Back in January, after a scheduled matchup between Stipe Miocic and Fabricio Werdum was postponed due to a Werdum injury, the Brazilian UFC heavyweight champ threw a little shade in the direction of read news >>

What's next for 'Cyborg' in the UFC? (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Cris Justino finally made her UFC debut on Saturday night, but don't expect a superfight with Ronda Rousey anytime soon. read news >>

What's next for 'Cyborg' in the UFC? (Yahoo Sports)

Paige VanZant Makes it to Dancing With the Stars Finals

UFC strawweight Paige VanZant is a finalist on Season 22 of Dancing with the Stars. Check out video highlights from her performance. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Blog: Amanda Cooper - Ep. 5

Amanda Cooper is a strawweight contestant on Season 23 of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Joanna vs Team Claudia. This season Cooper has signed on to write weekly blog posts that offer the inside scoop on read news >>