035_jodie_esquibel_vs_liz_mccarthyAfter starting off her career with sometimes an entire year between fights, to have a quick turnaround after her last bout this past January is a big deal for Jackson’s MMA 105-pound fighter Jodie Esquibel.

“To keep that momentum going, it’s huge,” said Esquibel. “I’ve gone a year between fights and it’s hard. You want to say there’s no ring rust or cage rust, but you know what, I feel it does sometimes play a part in your fights.

“Also, I don’t know about other people, but for me it’s hard (to return to training after a long layoff). I do enjoy the time off. I’ve got a lot of other things going on and when it’s off time, it’s off time, so I’m truly glad I was able to stay in the swing of things.”

Staying at the top of her game is especially important for Esquibel now that she’s part of Invicta FC. She learned that the hard way in her debut for the promotion in January versus Liz McCarthy.

“That fight was extremely tough,” said Esquibel. “I don’t know if everybody knows how well-rounded Liz was. I felt like I needed to control the fight and I think that’s what got me the edge in the decision.

“I learned a lot about myself, training and the next level. I really feel like I grew as a fighter from that fight.”

Four months after her win over McCarthy, Esquibel once again returns to Invicta FC on Friday against Australian Alex Chambers in a featured 105-pound showdown.

“Just like with any other fight, I have to fight my fight,” said Esquibel. “I feel like I’ve rounded myself out and that’s what MMA is all about. People always ask where I see the fight going; it’s an MMA fight, I feel comfortable wherever we’re at.

“I know we both pride ourselves in standing up, which in MMA with the little gloves can be unforgiving, so I’ve just got to stay strong and on my game plan. I know if I perform to my full potential I will come out victorious.”

Following years of sparse competition in her weight class, Esquibel is excited for her future at strawweight in Invicta.

“I went a long time with fights falling through and moving up weight classes because we couldn’t find 105’ers, but now the 105 division is stacked,” she said. “There’s girls coming out of the woodwork and they’re extremely talented and awesome.

“I’m happy to be in the division that I’m at because there’s such a high level of competition. With the pace that I’m going and with some more fights underneath me, I’m ready to make a run at it this year. I feel like I’m in a good spot. I’m in a good place in my life and I’m ready to go.”

Invicta FC 15 set for January in California with Souza vs. Bennett strawweight title fight

Invicta Fighting Championships will return in the new year with its second trip to Southern California and a title on the line in the main event. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Straus Won the Bellator Belt with a Clipped Wing

Daniel Straus finally got a victory of Patricio "Pitbull" Freire and recaptured the Bellator belt, but it wasn't without a price. read news >>

Valerie Letourneau Says a ‘Bad Surprise’ Could Await Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 193

Ninth-ranked women’s strawweight Valerie Letourneau has the opportunity of her career when she faces champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 193 on Nov. 14 in Australia. read news >>

Bellator 145 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Freire vs. Straus 3

Daniel Straus finally got it right. On Friday night in St. Louis, Missouri at Bellator 145, Straus defeated long-time nemesis and reigning featherweight champion Patricio "Pitbull" Freire via unanimo read news >>

USADA notifies Letourneau of potential violation, says Lombard out as UFC 193 corner

Valerie Letourneau will face UFC women’s strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 193 without one of her longtime cornermen.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Finally Healthy, Abel Trujillo is Fight Ready

Abel Trujillo can’t pinpoint the exact details surrounding the day when he was given the green light to compete again after suffering a broken arm earlier this year, but suffice to say, he was more t read news >>

Former Bellator Champ Michael Chandler Will Do Whatever it Takes to Get Belt Back

Former Bellator champ Michael Chandler has finally turned things around, and he doesn't plan on stopping before he gets the belt back. read news >>

Pongsiri Mitsatit Hopes Full Metal Dojo Springboards Him to International Success

Undefeated strawweight Pongsiri Mitsatit is hoping victory at Full Metal Dojo can propel him into the international spotlight. read news >>

Joanna Calderwood Reveals Injury That Killed Paige VanZant Fight

Eighth-ranked women's strawweight Joanne Calderwood explains the injury that forced her out of her scheduled UFC Fight Night 80 bout against Paige VanZant. read news >>

ONE Championship 34 adds five bouts, including strawweight title fight

Next month’s “ONE Championship 34: Askren vs. Santos” event is complete with the addition of five new bouts, including a title fight. Filed under: News read news >>