035_jodie_esquibel_vs_liz_mccarthyAfter starting off her career with sometimes an entire year between fights, to have a quick turnaround after her last bout this past January is a big deal for Jackson’s MMA 105-pound fighter Jodie Esquibel.

“To keep that momentum going, it’s huge,” said Esquibel. “I’ve gone a year between fights and it’s hard. You want to say there’s no ring rust or cage rust, but you know what, I feel it does sometimes play a part in your fights.

“Also, I don’t know about other people, but for me it’s hard (to return to training after a long layoff). I do enjoy the time off. I’ve got a lot of other things going on and when it’s off time, it’s off time, so I’m truly glad I was able to stay in the swing of things.”

Staying at the top of her game is especially important for Esquibel now that she’s part of Invicta FC. She learned that the hard way in her debut for the promotion in January versus Liz McCarthy.

“That fight was extremely tough,” said Esquibel. “I don’t know if everybody knows how well-rounded Liz was. I felt like I needed to control the fight and I think that’s what got me the edge in the decision.

“I learned a lot about myself, training and the next level. I really feel like I grew as a fighter from that fight.”

Four months after her win over McCarthy, Esquibel once again returns to Invicta FC on Friday against Australian Alex Chambers in a featured 105-pound showdown.

“Just like with any other fight, I have to fight my fight,” said Esquibel. “I feel like I’ve rounded myself out and that’s what MMA is all about. People always ask where I see the fight going; it’s an MMA fight, I feel comfortable wherever we’re at.

“I know we both pride ourselves in standing up, which in MMA with the little gloves can be unforgiving, so I’ve just got to stay strong and on my game plan. I know if I perform to my full potential I will come out victorious.”

Following years of sparse competition in her weight class, Esquibel is excited for her future at strawweight in Invicta.

“I went a long time with fights falling through and moving up weight classes because we couldn’t find 105’ers, but now the 105 division is stacked,” she said. “There’s girls coming out of the woodwork and they’re extremely talented and awesome.

“I’m happy to be in the division that I’m at because there’s such a high level of competition. With the pace that I’m going and with some more fights underneath me, I’m ready to make a run at it this year. I feel like I’m in a good spot. I’m in a good place in my life and I’m ready to go.”

From Around the Web

Invicta FC 12 weigh-in results: Headliners hit mark, others miss

• a day ago

Invicta FC 12 weigh-ins took place today, and strawweight title holder Katja Kankaanpaa and challenger Livia Renata Souza each came in under the championship limit.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Invicta FC 12 live discussion & quick results

• 19 hours ago

The Invicta Strawweight title is on the line tonight on UFC Fight Pass as Livia Renata Souza challenges champ Katja Kankaanpaa. Join the discussion at Bloody Elbow. Strawweight champion Katja Kankaap read news >>

Invicta FC 12 results: Livia Souza takes strawweight title from Katja Kankaanpaa

• 12 hours ago

Livia Renata Souza became the new strawweight champion in the main event of Invicta FC 12, submitting Katja Kankaanpaa with a triangle choke in the fourth round. Check out the full results for the ev read news >>

Invicta FC 12 Results: America Now Knows Livia Renata Souza’s Name

• 12 hours ago

Having captured the Invicta FC strawweight championship on Friday, Livia Renata Souza made sure that America knows her name. read news >>

Marina Shafir signs with Invicta FC

The Fourth Horeswoman is taking the next step in her MMA journey. The Glendale Fighting Club's Marina Shafir has signed with Invicta Fighting Championship. The fighter dropped the news on the MMA Roa read news >>

Invicta FC 12 card finalized, tickets on sale

The full card for Invicta FC 12 has been finalized with a total of 10 fights announced for the April 24 event.Filed under: News read news >>

Ediane Gomes vs. Raquel Pa'aluhu added, Invicta FC 12 finalized

The Invicta 12 card has been rounded out. Ediane Gomes will meet Raquel Pa'aluhi at Invicta FC 12 on April 24 in Kansas City, the promotion announced Thursday. Five other fights were also announced t read news >>

Despite 'everybody' buying into the hype about her, Rose Namajunas more grounded ahead of second UFC bout

UFC strawweight Rose Namajunas is ready to embark on her second official UFC fight when she takes on Nina Ansaroff at UFC 187 on May 23rd. As is well known, she's still looking to get her first win i read news >>

Video: Felice Herrig expects first round knockout over Paige VanZant at UFC on FOX 15

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) strawweight contender Felice Herrig is looking forward to putting a beating on Reebok darling Paige VanZant at UFC on FOX 15 on Saturday, April 18, 2015 live from read news >>