035_jodie_esquibel_vs_liz_mccarthyAfter starting off her career with sometimes an entire year between fights, to have a quick turnaround after her last bout this past January is a big deal for Jackson’s MMA 105-pound fighter Jodie Esquibel.

“To keep that momentum going, it’s huge,” said Esquibel. “I’ve gone a year between fights and it’s hard. You want to say there’s no ring rust or cage rust, but you know what, I feel it does sometimes play a part in your fights.

“Also, I don’t know about other people, but for me it’s hard (to return to training after a long layoff). I do enjoy the time off. I’ve got a lot of other things going on and when it’s off time, it’s off time, so I’m truly glad I was able to stay in the swing of things.”

Staying at the top of her game is especially important for Esquibel now that she’s part of Invicta FC. She learned that the hard way in her debut for the promotion in January versus Liz McCarthy.

“That fight was extremely tough,” said Esquibel. “I don’t know if everybody knows how well-rounded Liz was. I felt like I needed to control the fight and I think that’s what got me the edge in the decision.

“I learned a lot about myself, training and the next level. I really feel like I grew as a fighter from that fight.”

Four months after her win over McCarthy, Esquibel once again returns to Invicta FC on Friday against Australian Alex Chambers in a featured 105-pound showdown.

“Just like with any other fight, I have to fight my fight,” said Esquibel. “I feel like I’ve rounded myself out and that’s what MMA is all about. People always ask where I see the fight going; it’s an MMA fight, I feel comfortable wherever we’re at.

“I know we both pride ourselves in standing up, which in MMA with the little gloves can be unforgiving, so I’ve just got to stay strong and on my game plan. I know if I perform to my full potential I will come out victorious.”

Following years of sparse competition in her weight class, Esquibel is excited for her future at strawweight in Invicta.

“I went a long time with fights falling through and moving up weight classes because we couldn’t find 105’ers, but now the 105 division is stacked,” she said. “There’s girls coming out of the woodwork and they’re extremely talented and awesome.

“I’m happy to be in the division that I’m at because there’s such a high level of competition. With the pace that I’m going and with some more fights underneath me, I’m ready to make a run at it this year. I feel like I’m in a good spot. I’m in a good place in my life and I’m ready to go.”

From Around the Web

Will Invicta's Deanna Bennett Be Next UFC Strawweight Call-up? | MMAWeekly.com

Recently improving her record to 7-0, is Invicta FC strawweight DeAnna Bennett on the short list for a UFC call-up? read news >>

Invicta FC 12 set for April 24 with Katja Kankaanpaa vs. Livia Souza title headliner

Invicta FC strawweight champion Katja Kankaanpaa will defend her title in April when the promotion returns to Kansas City. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Invicta FC headed back to Kansas City on April 24, to feature strawweight title bout

Invicta FC will head back to its hub town of Kansas City, Missouri. On Friday, the promotion announced a fight card for April 24 at the Municipal Auditorium. Invicta 12 will feature a strawweight tit read news >>

Strawweight Title Fight Headlines Invicta FC 12 on April 24

Invicta Fighting Championships today announced the new date and location for its next event, Invicta FC 12: Kankaanpaa vs. Souza. read news >>

Cris Cyborg takes home triple the Invicta FC 11 payroll with $90,000 purse

Cris Cyborg earned nearly three times more than the rest of the Invicta FC 11 card combined for her 46 second knockout of Charmaine Tweet, and from the sound of it, Zuffa may have helped foot the bil read news >>

Invicta FC 11 Fighter Salaries: Cris Cyborg Towers Over Rest of Payroll | MMAWeekly.com

Cris “Cyborg” Justino spent less time in the cage than any other victor on the Invicta FC 11 fight card, but she took home double the rest of fighters' salaries combined. read news >>

Invicta FC 11 payouts and salaries: Cris Cyborg takes home $90k of $134,000 total payroll

Just around double than what the rest of the field combined took home that night. Cristiane Justino may not be plying her trade under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) banner (yet), but her ba read news >>

Invicta FC 11 salaries: Cris 'Cyborg' pockets $90,000 for 46-second win

When it comes to Invicta FC 11's payroll sheet, there's Cristiane Justino and then there's everybody else. "Cyborg" pocketed a reported $90,000 for her 46-second knockout win over Charmaine Tweet at read news >>

Cris Cyborg responds to Rener Gracie’s comments: ‘I have no grandfather name to live off’

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cris ‘Cyborg’ Justino responds to Rener Gracie’s public comments that she is given “too much credit.” Monday's edition of The MMA Hour saw Rener Gracie make an appea read news >>