Undefeated Cecilia Braekhus to Holly Holm: True champions don’t run away from big fights


Picture

Female boxer and 14-time world champion in three seperate divisions, Holly ”The Preacher’s Daughter” Holm earlier this year announced her retirement from boxing, she would instead focus on her MMA-career. Her 38th and most likely last boxing match happened this past weekend in her hometown of Albuquerque when she went against Mary McGee and won by unanimous decision.

 In a post-fight interview Holm admitted she had felt uncertain ahead of the fight if she had made the right decision leaving the sport. She said she knew where her heart was before the fight, however, she was unsure how she would feel after the fight. But after the fight nothing had changed, she was still leaving for MMA and felt as if it was the right thing to do.

Picture
Picture

Present at Holm’s final fight was undefeated Norwegian boxer Cecilia Braekhus’ agent, Don Majeski, in another unsuccessful attempt to arrange a bout between the two boxers. Also earlier this year had Holm declined when offered to fight Braekhus. Holm says she knew her passion lied with MMA and that it made no sence to wait around for one big fight. Braekhus has been eager to arrange a meeting with Holm for the past two years, and five months ago she made her a call-out-video letting her know she is heading for Las Vegas this summer, that was just before Holm made her retirement official. Many believes that Holm is avoiding a fight against the Norwegian boxer to prevent damaging her boxing career. Braekhus has defeated a former strong opponent of Holm, Anne Sophie Mathis, the same fighter who on December 2, 2011 won Holm with a knockout. According to Mathis Breakhus is ’in a different league than Holm’.


Braekhus’ manager, Nisse Saureland, says it’s a shame the way Holm’s career ends. Now she’ll only be remembered for running away from the greatest boxer in the world, Cecilia Braekhus.

Picture
Holm who today has had a total of three MMA fights says she already in 2011 after her first bout was thinking about making a transfer from boxing to MMA. She says she has, for the most, been supported in her decision, but that in the world of female boxing there’s also a lot of hatred.

Holm says she’s 99.9 percent certain she will never again enter the ring for a boxing match, but that it might just happen if a great deal comes along. That leaves a 0.1 percent chance for a future fight against Braekhus.

"True champions don’t run away from big fights," says a disappointed Cecilia Braekhus.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 24 days ago
  • 5 views

Friday Nights on AXS TV FIGHTS Feature the Best of Resurrection Fighting Alliance, Legacy Fighting Championship, LION FIGHT Muay Thai December 12, 19, and 26 Respectively, and Best of AXS TV FIGHTS 2 read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 0 views

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 18 veteran Raquel Pennington was all set to make a big splash in her Octagon return at the upcoming UFC 181 pay-per-view (PPV) event on Sat., Dec. 6, 2014, inside Mandalay read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 4 views

If 2014 was the year of the injury, 2015 is looking like the year of the comeback. A handful of key UFC fighters are targeting returns from injury in the early stages of next year, led in part by wom read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 3 views

ALBUQUERQUE, NM -- The first thing Holly Holm did last month after pulling out of her UFC debut? First, she cried. Then... well, she made a bed. "Like, out of wood," Holm says, laughing. "I Googled i read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 49 views

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) debut of undefeated bantamweight Holly Holm was put on hold earlier this month, after "The Preacher's Daughter" suffered a neck injury and was forced to withd read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 6 views

The former women's boxing champ is frustrated by the injuries that postponed her UFC debut but she's hopeful a title shot awaits her in 2015. Injuries have delayed her Octagon debut but Holly Holm is read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC women’s bantamweight Jessica Eye has previously stumped for a fight with former boxing champ turned MMA fighter Holly Holm, and after her most recent victory, she’s open to do it again.Filed unde read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 7 views

Women’s bantamweight Raquel Pennington hasn’t forgotten Holly Holm and is angling to rebook their bout that was scratched for UFC 181.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 8 views

In the biggest win of his wrestling career, Aaron Pico beat 2013 freestyle world champion David Safaryan at the Henri Deglane challenge in Nice, France. Pico recently signed with Bellator. Only a wee read news >>

Jump to: