vitor-belfort-21.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

Brazilian fighter Vitor Belfort isn’t the type of person to ask for something he doesn’t think he deserves.

Right now, though, he thinks he deserves a shot at the UFC’s middleweight title.

“I don’t think it’s time to ask; I think it’s time to earn,” Belfort (23-10 MMA, 12-6 UFC) tells USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “That’s my ethic in life. Life is about earning. Sometimes in life, you look at very rich guys who have been given everything, and they wind up crashing. They lose their family’s fortune. They didn’t know how to keep it because they didn’t earn it. That’s how I go through life.

“I go to the gym every day. I work hard. I know I will bring that title back. But it’s not about waiting for the time. It’s about making my time now.”

In recent years, it seems UFC title shots often have been granted to the most outspoken contender rather than the most deserving. Middleweight Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) is the poster boy of such opportunities, masterfully campaigning for title shots in two different weight classes, where he lost each time. But Belfort, 36, chooses to not follow that path.

“Everyone is about fighting for the title, and they want to get themselves there by selling fights, picking fights, talking trash on Twitter,” Belfort says. “I’m not saying they’re wrong. It’s a style. I’m not criticizing or judging them, because I don’t have that right.

“But I have the right to work hard and to ask people to recognize that work. That’s the way I want to get to the top, and I believe I made it. I believe I’ve done everything necessary.”

Indeed, Belfort is 7-1 in his eight bouts as a middleweight, with the loss coming in 2011 to current champion Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC). Since that defeat, Belfort has earned stoppage wins against four different middleweights while also venturing up to 205 pounds for a chance at champ Jon Jones, where “The Phenom” nearly pulled off a monumental upset before ultimately submitting in the fourth round.

But after wins in 2013 against Luke Rockhold and Michael Bisping — both of whom were expected to challenge for the title should they have beaten Belfort — the knockout artist wants to know from UFC brass why he shouldn’t be next for the winner of next month’s UFC 162 headliner between Silva and challenger Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

“Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta, they are promoters, and I respect them very much,” Belfort says. “Right now, I haven’t heard from them, and I don’t know what’s going on, but I’ve served the organization very well.

“I’m fighting in main events, winning fights, shocking everybody. I’m right there, and they know that. Now it’s just waiting to see if I’ve done enough.

“You cannot go against results, so look at my results. That’s what I mean. Some people earn, and some people don’t. They try to get there without earning it. I believe in every area of my life, I earn — and I earn through the glory of God.”

For more on UFC 162, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Watch The MMA Beat live today

On this week's episode of The MMA Beat, the panel will discuss all things Jon Jones: from his arrest, to getting stripped of the belt, to losing sponsors. Where does Jones go from here and what to ma read news >>

VIDEO: Vitor Belfort is The Incredible Hulk and It’s Scary as Hell

Don't make Vitor Belfort angry. You wouldn't like Vitor Belfort when he's angry. read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, April 28: 'Mighty Mouse' is kinda good, eh?

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson is king of the UFC’s 125-pound division, but when considering the pound-for-pound rankings, should he leapfrog Jon Jones or Jose Aldo?Filed under: Bellator, MMA read news >>

No plea entered by UFC champion Jon Jones in first court appearance

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones today made his first appearance in court since an alleged hit-and-run incident and did not enter a plea.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Floyd Mayweather 'Grand Arrival Show' start time set, 'Money' to arrive at MGM Grand at 3 p.m. PT today

It's time to kickoff fight week, like only "Money" can ... Floyd Mayweather will embrace the fight week "hoopla" like only he can, arriving at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada -- the site read news >>

Jon Jones has first court appearance today, attorney says he wants to 'get down to training'

Jon Jones will make his first appearance in Bernalillo county court today, and his attorney spoke to the media. Embattled UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will make his first court appearance read news >>

Jon Jones to appear in court today, lawyer provides first comments on felony hit-and-run charge

Jon Jones will be headed to court this afternoon. The UFC light heavyweight champion is due to appear before Judge Rosemary Dominguez at 1 p.m. local time at the Albuquerque Metro Court in New Mexico read news >>

Video: Tim Kennedy's excitement for Vitor Belfort vs. Chris Weidman dropping like 'The Phenom's' testosterone levels

Tim Kennedy says his excitement for the title fight between Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort at UFC 187 on May 24, 2015 has dropped like "The Phenom's" testosterone levels thanks to numerous setbacks read news >>

Tickets On Sale Friday, May 29 For Debut Scottish Event

UFC today confirmed tickets to the highly anticipated UFC® FIGHT NIGHT GLASGOW will go on sale to the general public on Friday, May 29. UFC FIGHT NIGHT GLASGOW, which will take place on Saturday, Jul read news >>