sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and ( “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

Kyra Gracie: I can’t say I’ll never fight MMA

Kyra Gracie wouldn’t rule out making her mixed martial arts debut after finding out she was pregnant, and the door is still open one year after the birth of her daughter Ayra. One of the best grapple read news >>

Wanderlei Silva initiates Nevada Supreme Court appeal

Retired UFC fighter Wanderlei Silva today initiated an appeal with the Nevada Supreme Court to rule on whether the Nevada State Athletic Commission overstepped its bounds by imposing a lifetime ban e read news >>

Mayweather vs Berto: Live stream online of fight weigh-ins

Watch the Mayweather vs. Berto weigh-in, live, right here at Bloody Elbow today at 6:00 pm. We are just one day away from what may or may not be the final fight in the professional boxing career of p read news >>

Video: Mayweather vs Berto weigh in results with live stream updates today

We're just one day away from the latest boxing pay-per-view (PPV) blockbuster. And that means it's time to get half-naked for the media. Or, in other words, it's time to weigh-in. Today (Fri., Sept. read news >>

Tickets on sale today for UFC 194: Ready to shell out $1,300 for Aldo-McGregor, cageside?

Tickets go on sale today for UFC 194 in Las Vegas, featuring a pair of title fights at the top of the bill – including one of the most highly anticipated bouts in recent memory.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: NBA's Detroit Pistons train MMA with UFC stars

Watch NBA stars from the Detroit Pistons train with UFC stars at the Ultimate Fighter gym. Last month, UFC fighters went to the Detroit Pistons' training facility to cross-train and do some basketbal read news >>

GLORY news: Petrosyan returns, Pat Barry out with injury

Premier kickboxing league GLORY today gave fans some news they have long been waiting for: Giorgio ‘The Doctor’ Petrosyan is back in the lightweight division. He makes his return at GLORY 25 MILAN on read news >>

Watch today's Legacy FC 45 weigh-ins on MMAjunkie at 5 p.m. ET

Weigh-ins for Friday’s Legacy FC 45 event take place today, and you can watch a live stream exclusively on MMAjunkie. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Videos read news >>

Dana White nearly left Ronda Rousey's 'Do-Nothing B-tch' on cutting-room floor

A clip featuring the debut of a catchphrase that’s become synonymous with UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey was nearly left on the cutting-room floor, according to UFC President Dana Whi read news >>

Mayweather vs Berto live stream from Las Vegas press conference (Video)

Tune in today (Weds., Sept. 9, 2015) at 4 p.m. ET to watch LIVE coverage of the final press conference for "Mayweather vs. Berto," which takes place this Saturday night (Sept. 12, 2015) inside MGM Gr read news >>