sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 96

The biggest prize in MMA today is a fight with Conor McGregor. Fans and fighters may not like it, but it's an indisputable fact at this point. Whether it's Chad Mendes, Jose Aldo or Nate Diaz, facing read news >>

UFC Mexico City: Quick Results | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Etzel Espinosa-USA TODAY Sports? Ferguson Sees Off Dos Anjos Tony Ferguson extended his unbeaten run to nine with a victory over his toughest opponent to date, Rafael Dos Anjos. The contest read news >>

Fight Night Mexico City bonuses: Who got $$$?

Who won the UFC Fight Night Mexico City performance bonuses? Find out who walked away with an extra $50,000. read news >>

Jon Jones gets 1-year suspension from USADA for doping violation stemming from UFC 200

A three-member arbitration panel today upheld a standard one-year suspension for Jon Jones’ UFC 200 drug test failure, rendering the UFC interim light heavyweight champ unable to fight until July 7, read news >>

The Tactical Guide to Conor McGregor versus Eddie Alvarez | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Joshua Dahl-USA TODAY Sports When he found out that Jose Aldo had pulled out of their UFC 189 title fight, and that Chad Mendes would be taking the Brazilian's place, Conor McGregor is credi read news >>

Photos: The best images from UFC Fight Night 98 in Mexico with brutal backfists and crushing chokes

After a month away, the UFC UFC returned Saturday for its latest card in Mexico. Now you can take a look back at the card through the lens of USA TODAY Sports photographer Etzel Espinosa.Filed under: read news >>

UFC Won't Find New Opponent for Tim Kennedy, Shuffles Fight Schedule | MMAWeekly.com

With Rashad Evans not granted a license to fight at UFC 205 due to concerns about a medical issue, Tim Kennedy will also be pulled from the fight card. read news >>

UFC Announces Highly Anticipated Return to London

After months of speculation, UFC® today announced its much anticipated return to London, England. The event will take place at The O2 in London on Saturday, March 18, 2017. read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 205 press conference live on MMAjunkie at 3 p.m. ET

Two days before the big event, you can watch a live video stream of today’s official UFC 205 pre-event press conference here on MMAjunkie beginning at 3 p.m. ET (noon PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Vide read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 205 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET

NEW YORK – UFC 205 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place today, and you can catch a live stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>