sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

Zingano's break gave time to gain back her passion

Cat Zingano took a break from MMA after losing to Ronda Rousey. Now she's back, re-focused and will fight Julianna Pena at UFC 200. read news >>

UFC Statement on Daniel Omielanczuk

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency informed Daniel Omielanczuk of a potential Anti-Doping Policy Violation involving Meldonium, a prohibited substance on the Wor read news >>

UFC Statement on Islam Makhachev

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has lifted Islam Makhachev’s provisional suspension due to recent WADA statements regarding the handling of Meldonium cases. read news >>

The 10: The Best of the Best from the Best Month in UFC History

Take a look at the 10 best fights from one of the best fight months in UFC history. This is The 10 for July. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: Cat Zingano – Warrior Code

Women's bantamweight contender Cat Zingano shares what her first UFC walkout felt like and more while discussing her Warrior Code. read news >>

The Survivor: Cat Zingano on Life, Death and Her UFC Future

Cat Zingano has rarely been afraid. It's something for people who weren't the only girls on their high school wrestling team. For girls who didn't jump whenever dared. Those who didn't risk everythin read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter Finale bonus recap

Find out who took home all the post-fight bonus awards from The Ultimate Fighter Finale. read news >>

Cat Zingano Could Have Quit Fighting, but Didn’t Want to be a Product of Circumstance (UFC 200 Video)

The past couple of years have been rough for UFC bantamweight contender Cat Zingano, but as a proud mom, she refused to give up. read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Julianna Pena Tops Cat Zingano in Featured Prelim

Julianna Pena picked up the biggest win of her UFC career on Saturday, beating Cat Zingano in the featured UFC 200 prelim fight at the T-Mobile in Las Vegas. read news >>

Cat Zingano vs Julianna Pena Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

After 16 months off, No. 3 bantamweight and former title contender Cat Zingano (9-2) faced Julianna Pena, the winner of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rousey vs. Team Tate at UFC 200. After a promising f read news >>