sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

From Around the Web

UFC Fight Night Berlin Tickets on Sale in One Month

London – UFC® today announced that tickets to the highly anticipated UFC® FIGHT NIGHT BERLIN will go on sale in one month, on 24 April. read news >>

Latest rankings after UFC 184: Holly Holm cracks Top 10, Anderson Silva continues to tumble

And fortunately for Cat Zingano, she is still considered the next best women's bantamweight after Ronda Rousey despite her quick loss to "Rowdy." The official Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) ran read news >>

Video: Ronda Rousey predicted 15 second finish 3 days before UFC 184 fight with Cat Zingano

UFC women's bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey predicted her lightning quick submission finish of Cat Zingano almost to the second. This past Saturday night, UFC women's bantamweight champion, Ronda read news >>

UFC fighter rankings: Holly Holm in the top 10 following win in her UFC debut

The latest UFC rankings put women's bantamweight Holly Holm up in the top 10 after her split decision win over Raquel Pennington last Saturday. There wasn't much activity in the latest UFC rankings u read news >>

UFC 184 Medical Suspensions: Pennington, Six Others, Sidelined up to Six Months | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano avoided any time out due to the UFC 184 medical suspensions, but Raquel Pennington topped the list of potential six-month suspensions. read news >>

Brian Bowles among eight fighters recently released by UFC

UFC decided to thin the herd after releasing eight fighters from its active roster. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) roster has a few vacancies after the world's largest mixed martial arts (M read news >>

UFC's Melbourne debut confirmed for November with UFC 193

As expected, the UFC will expand its Australian presence with its first Melbourne event later this year.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch Ronda Rousey submit Cat Zingano at UFC 184 ... in Claymation

In case you forgot how much fun the Internet can be sometimes, I present to you Ronda Rousey's submission win over Cat Zingano, completely redone in lumpy clay because, well, who doesn't love some go read news >>

Tickets on sale today for UFC 187's two title fights in Vegas, $1,042 gets you cageside

Tickets go on sale today for May’s UFC 187 in Las Vegas, featuring a pair of title fights at the top of the bill.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>