sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 12: Who's the world's best bantamweight?

Who’s the best bantamweight fighter on the planet? We’ll find out shortly with Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 title headliner.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Fans invited to next month's Bellator Fan Fest with Angle, Ortiz, Couture, more

Bellator heads to Houston for next month’s “tentpole event.” Beforehand, fans can get up close and personal with some MMA legends.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Dana White’s UFC Boston Wrap-Up: We’ve Got to Find Out if Cruz is Healthy

UFC president Dana White recaps Sunday night's UFC Fight Night 81 in Boston and talks about the resiliency of Dominick Cruz. read news >>

Tim Kennedy Responds to ISIS Threat: ‘They’re Feeble Children’

It was confirmed on Wednesday that the Federal Bureau of Investigations was looking into ISIS terror threats made against UFC middleweight contender Tim Kennedy. read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 19: Champ Cruz back on top

Dominick Cruz is back where he long stood: atop MMA’s bantamweight division.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Watch today's UFC 197 press conference on MMAjunkie at 2 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – You can watch a live video stream of today’s UFC 197 press conference here on MMAjunkie beginning at 2 p.m. ET (11 a.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Motivation for UFC Fight Night 81 win? Rob Font was bored by his own fights

Rob Font picked up his second win in two trips to the octagon at UFC Fight Night 81 on Sunday. More impressive than simply getting two UFC wins, Font scored his second consecutive knockout when he st read news >>

WSOF 27 live weigh-in video stream and official results 7 p.m. ET

WSOF 27 fighter weigh-ins take place today, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, Videos, WSOF read news >>

Reminder: 'UFC Road to the Octagon: Johnson vs. Bader' debuts today on FOX

The quarterly “UFC Road to the Octagon” preview show returns today to spotlight the upcoming UFC on FOX 18 light heavyweight contenders fight between recent title challenger Anthony Johnson and “TUF read news >>

NY federal judge denies UFC move to allow Madison Square Garden event

A federal judge today denied UFC parent company Zuffa a preliminary injunction that would have allowed the promotion to hold an April 23 event at New York City’s Madison Square Garden.Filed under: Ne read news >>