sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

Big Nog takes scouting gig with the UFC, hasn't decided if he will retire yet

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will help the UFC look for new talents in Brazil, but that does not mean he is done fighting yet. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira did have that talk with Dana White. You know, the s read news >>

Only 20 of 107 fighters who change weight classes find better results. Find out why:

Michael Hutchinson breaks down the statistics on why a change in weight class more often results in failure. Fighters have been using a change in weight class as a way to re-surge their career since read news >>

Diego Sanchez Makes Featherweight Debut Against Ricardo Lamas in Mexico

After having debuted in the UFC as a middleweight in 2005 and competing as a welterweight and lightweight, Diego Sanchez will debut as a featherweight on Nov. 21 against Ricardo Lamas. read news >>

Diego Sanchez to make UFC featherweight debut vs. Ricardo Lamas

Diego Sanchez will make his debut at 145 lbs this November in a big fight against top 10 ranked Ricardo Lamas. Diego Sanchez, perhaps quite fittingly, is the only cast member from the inaugural seaso read news >>

Diego Sanchez heads to featherweight, meets Ricardo Lamas at UFC Fight Night 79

Diego Sanchez is set to make his debut in his fourth different UFC weight class as part of November’s UFC Fight Night 79 event in Mexico.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

MMAjunkie's 'Knockout of the Month' for July: A come-from-behind masterpiece

With another action-packed month of MMA in the books, MMAjunkie takes a look at the best knockouts from July. Check out the nominees, our winner and vote in our poll inside. Filed under: Bellator, Ne read news >>

Myles Jury drops to featherweight, among four fighters to leave Alliance MMA

Ranked lightweight Myles Jury has decided to continue his career at featherweight, and has joined a few fighters who are leaving Alliance MMA in favor of an Arizona gym. It looks like Myles Jury is s read news >>

WSOF 22 medical suspensions: Jake Shields handed potential six-month suspension after Palhares bout

Welterweight headliner Jake Shields is among four fighters who face potential six-month medical suspensions in the aftermath of Saturday night's World Series of Fighting 22 event, the Nevada Athletic read news >>

UFC 190 winner 'Bigfoot' Silva found motivation in Mir and Arlovski comebacks

Fans and media are often quick to call for a fighter to retire if he falls on hard times in his career. It was no different for Antonio Silva as he went 0-3-1 in a four-fight stretch leading up to UF read news >>

UFC 190 injuries and medical suspensions: Claudia Gadelha and Patrick Cummins facing six-month sits

Brazilian Athletic Commission (CABMMA) issued its list of injuries and medical suspensions on Monday for the mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters who participated in UFC 190, which took place last Sat. read news >>