sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

UFC on Fox 21 Video: Paige VanZant — Warrior Code

Go one-on-one with women's strawweight sensation Paige VanZant and find out what makes her a UFC warrior. Don't miss VanZant's return against Bec Rawlings. read news >>

Live Stream : Bears vs Chiefs NFL Preseason-2016

Watch Here==== http://hlok.qertewrt.com/offer?prod=224&ref=5050122 Today 1 pm et on LIve Live Stream : Bears vs Chiefs NFL Preseason-2016 read news >>

Paige VanZant vs. Bec Rawlings Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 21

Paige VanZant took a round to find her rhythm, but she ousted Bec Rawlings with a highlight-reel TKO in the second round Saturday night in Vancouver at UFC on Fox 21. The fight started with VanZant d read news >>

Invicta FC 19 Fight Card Finalized with Tiffany Van Soest Facing Kalyn Schwartz

Invicta Fighting Championships today announced the last match-up for Invicta FC 19, finalizing the eight-fight card. read news >>

Kim and Nelson to Headline UFC's Return to Belfast

UFC® announced today that No.10-ranked “The Stun Gun” Dong Hyun Kim will take on No.12 Gunnar "Gunni” Nelson in Belfast on Saturday November 19 at the SSE Arena. read news >>

Bruno Pucci Happy to Bury 18-Month Injury Nightmare at ONE: Unbreakable Warriors

Brian Pucci looking to bury his 18-month injury nightmare with his second consecutive victory at Friday's ONE: Unbreakable Warriors. read news >>

UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem Fantasy Cheat Sheet

In today's fantasy preview, we're going to examine some of these fights to see who has the edge going into Saturday night and if there might be an upset brewing on the card as UFC 203: Miocic vs. Ove read news >>

VIDEO: CM Punk Asks Reporter to Feel Him Up, Gets Shot Down

It seems CM Punk can't find anyone that'll support him. In fact, even when he's offering for people to reach out and touch him, it ain't happening. read news >>

CM Punk invigorated by renewed Fight Week anticipation, excitement

By the time CM Punk decided to walk away from professional wrestling “making the walk” didn’t quite do it for him anymore. Just three days before he makes his first walk as an actual fighter, Punk is read news >>

Gennady Golovkin vs. Kell Brook: Someone’s “0” Must Go | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports On Saturday night, London’s O2 Arena will bear witness to Brit Kell “The Special One” Brook stepping up two weight classes to face the Kazakhstani boxing p read news >>