sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

Tickets On Sale Friday, May 29 For Debut Scottish Event

UFC today confirmed tickets to the highly anticipated UFC® FIGHT NIGHT GLASGOW will go on sale to the general public on Friday, May 29. UFC FIGHT NIGHT GLASGOW, which will take place on Saturday, Jul read news >>

Benson Henderson willing to save UFC 186, issues open call for opponents

UFC 186 lost its planned co-headliner earlier today, but former champion Benson Henderson is willing to save the day.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Donald Cerrone: 'Drug test me', you'll only find hard work and Budweiser!

"The Cowboy" responds to steroid allegations made by UFC 187 opponent Khabib Nurmagomedov. Last week, Khabib Nurmagomedov accused "Cowboy" Donald Cerrone of steroid abuse to further build up their li read news >>

Report: Burt Watson in talks with Submission Series Pro

It has been over a month since Burt Watson ended his 14-year stint with the UFC. It now seems Watson is possibly poised to join Canadian promotion Submission Series Pro, according to sources close to read news >>

Zingano on Rousey fight: 'I wouldn't change a thing about my approach'

Cat Zingano was finished by Ronda Rousey in just 14 seconds at UFC 184, but she wouldn't change anything about her strategy to charge out of the gate. Cat Zingano obviously didn't get much time in th read news >>

Video: Watch Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao official commercial launch

We're a little less that a month away from the biggest boxing match in recent memory as Floyd Mayweather Jr. is (finally) set to take on Manny Pacquiao in a fight for the ages on May 2, 2015 in Las V read news >>

'Reckless' Cat Zingano won't change 'aggressive' attack despite quick loss to Ronda Rousey

Since coming up short in her bid to dethrone Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey, back at UFC 184 (video replay here), Cat Zingano has shied away from the read news >>

UFC hires BALCO investigator Jeff Novitzky for 'clean initiative education program'

The UFC today announced the hiring of a prominent anti-doping figure as part of its ongoing efforts to ensure clean competition within the promotion’s octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cat Zingano 'wouldn't change a thing' about her approach to Ronda Rousey fight

Cat Zingano has never been one to live life with regrets. So she's not about to second-guess herself for her approach to fighting Ronda Rousey at UFC 184. Long called a slow starter, Zingano rushed o read news >>