sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

Watch flyweight title challenger Henry Cejudo's dominant UFC debut at bantamweight

Henry Cejudo is pretty familiar with gold, and later this month he’s going to attempt to add some to his collection. But before he does, check out his UFC debut – at bantamweight. Filed under: News, read news >>

RIZIN FF Announces Wanderlei Silva’s Tag Team Partner

RIZIN FF announced today that MMA pioneer and former professional wrestling standout Kiyoshi Tamura will join forces with Wanderlei Silva in the special grappling tag team matchup. read news >>

Why Jon Jones decided to step up and not pull out of UFC 197 (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: The ex-champ declined a replacement bout at UFC 151, but he has a change of heart regarding fighting Ovince Saint Preux. read news >>

Why Jon Jones decided to step up and not pull out of UFC 197 (Yahoo Sports)

Julianna Pena cleared to resume UFC career following assault allegations

The UFC today announced it has completed an investigation into allegations of assault by women’s bantamweight Julianna Pena and reinstated “The Ultimate Fighter 18” winner, freeing her to resume her read news >>

Michael Bisping blasts Yoel Romero's 6-month suspension: 'He could have killed somebody'

Michael Bisping is one of the more outspoken critics of performance-enhancing-drug users – especially in his own division – and he had a scathing critique of fellow middleweight Yoel Romero.Filed und read news >>

Yoel Romero Accepts 6-Month Sanction for Using Contaminated Supplement

USADA announced on Monday that Yoel Romero has accepted a 6-month sanction for an anti-doping policy violation stemming from a contaminated supplement. read news >>

UFC strawweight Paige VanZant recaps Episode No. 3 of 'Dancing with the Stars'

On Monday, UFC strawweight Paige VanZant returned on Season 22 of “Dancing with the Stars.” Today, she talked to MMAjunkie about her appearance on the season’s third episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, April 5: WSOF champ Branch keeps rolling

Since a brief run in the UFC, two-division WSOF champ David Branch has become one of the sport’s top fighters competing outside the octagon. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Mike Dolce: After coaches meeting, Ronda Rousey plotting return and 'world domination'

This past month, renowned MMA nutritionist Mike Dolce found himself in Los Angeles for a “coaches meeting” with longtime client Ronda Rousey.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>