sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and ( “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

Caio Magalhaes: Six-month suspension, 40 hours community service for spitting on Samman

UFC middleweight Caio Magalhaes was today given a six-month suspension and ordered to perform 40 hours of community service for spitting on Josh Samman following their bout at The Ultimate Fighter 21 read news >>

Rousimar Palhares Handed 2-Year Suspension, $40K Fine

One of mixed martial arts dirtiest fighters was today suspended for two years and fined $40,000 (plus attorney general's fees) for holding a submission too long earlier this year. Rousimar Palhares, read news >>

Rousimar Palhares suspended two years, fined 40k for holding WSOF 22 submission

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today voted unanimously to suspend ex-WSOF welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares two years and issue a $40,000 fine – in addition to court costs – for holding a read news >>

Listen to today's UFC 193 media call with Rousey-Holm, Jedrzejczyk-Letourneau at 5 p.m. ET

You can listen to a live stream of today’s UFC 193 media call with headliners Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm, plus co-headliners Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Valerie Letourneau, on MMAjunkie beginning at 5 p. read news >>

Ronda Rousey’s Coach Refuses to Address Her Mom’s Abhorrence of Him

Confronted about Ronda Rousey's mom's abhorrence for him, coach Edmond Tarverdyan refused to address her recent remarks. read news >>

The Speed Bag: UFC-named arena would be cool ... but cool enough for the price?

A report today in Las Vegas said the UFC is in talks to purchase the naming rights to a new arena on the Strip. In the latest Speed Bag, Ben Fowlkes wonders if that’s cool enough for the price it wil read news >>

UFC 193 extended preview with Ronda Rousey-Holly Holm, Jedrzejczyk-Letourneau

The UFC returns to Australia next month for what it hopes will be a new high-water mark for attendance. Check out an extended preview of the event inside.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vide read news >>

Ronda Rousey Addresses Mom’s Criticism and Ring Magazine Cover (Video)

Ronda Rousey addressed the firestorm of controversy swirling around her mom's comments about her coach, and also talked about being on the cover of "Ring Magazine." read news >>

NOS® Energy Drink MMA Rankings, Oct. 27: Smolka, Carvalho debut in rankings

After a weekend featuring UFC Fight Night 76 and Bellator 144, the NOS Energy Drink MMA Rankings have a couple of new additions.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

UFC's Vitor Belfort Spars, Prays with Presidential Candidate Ben Carson

Ben Carson picked up a new endorsement today as he continues his run for the Republican party's presidential nomination: UFC middleweight and ex-champ Vitor Belfort. Apparently the two men and variou read news >>