glover-teixeira-6.jpg(This story appears in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil – THE UFC conducts its third fight card in seven days tonight. Although the latest has been overshadowed by its predecessors, UFC Fight Night 28 features three contests with top-10 fighters, led by the matchup of light heavyweights Glover Teixeira vs. Ryan Bader.

Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), ranked seventh in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA rankings, and No. 10 Bader (15-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) headline the event at Mineirinho Arena (5 p.m. ET, FOX Sports 1).

Teixeira, a Brazilian who lives and trains in Danbury, Conn., returns to his home state of Minas Geraisto compete professionally for the first time.

“When I was fighting in Brazil, I was always thinking I would eventually get on a card in Belo Horizonte so I could fight in my home state, but I never got that opportunity,” Teixeira told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com. “Now I’m in the UFC, and I’m fighting in the main event here. It’s going to be great. It’s very exciting. I hope all the people will come to support me.”

Teixeira, 33, a longtime training partner of UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell, made his UFC debut 16 months ago but already has four wins, each more impressive than the last. Recently, UFC Director of International Development Marshall Zelaznik said that a “strong victory” against Bader could earn Teixeira a shot at the light heavyweight title.

Teixeira, who was not present at that August press conference, said he heard about the opportunity almost immediately but said it will have little effect on his approach to the fight.

“Right away my friends called me and said, ‘Guess what,’” Teixeira said. “But no matter what happens, whether I could have a title shot or not, I’m going to step into the octagon the same way. I’m going to go for the knockout. That’s the way I fight.

“I’m going to push the pace. I’m going to try to control the octagon and finish the fight as fast as I can. It’s not a matter of doing something different because I might have a title shot later. That’s the way I fight.”

Bader, a two-time Division I All-American wrestler and winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 8,” represents the best wrestler Teixeira has faced. However, Teixeira has a 19-fight winning streak, 17 of which came by stoppage, a testament to both his knockout power and submission abilities.

Wednesday’s event represents Teixeira’s opportunity to transition from long-hyped prospect to true championship contender, and he’ll do it before a friendly crowd that will include his four siblings. Unfortunately, his parents will not be there.

“My dad wanted to go, but my mom, she gets nervous,” Teixeira said. “She doesn’t watch the fights live. She records them watches them later. So my dad is just going to stay home and keep her happy.”

Also on the card, No. 4 middleweight Yushin Okami (29-7 MMA, 13-4 UFC) meets No. 8 Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza (18-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC), and No. 2 flyweight Joseph Benavidez (18-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC) faces No. 5 Jussier Formiga (15-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC).

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 28, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Graves' throwback demeanor will be on display at UFC 201

Michael Graves isn't into today's culture. He's just here to do one thing: fight. On Saturday Graves is featured in the FIGHT PASS prelims at UFC 201. read news >>

UFC 202 Free Fight: Glover Teixeira Submits Ovince Saint Preux

Glover Teixeira submitted Ovince Saint Preux in a light heavyweight fight between top contenders at UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs Saint Preux. read news >>

Making Glover Teixeira: Urban legend to UFC star

Glover Teixeira was once an MMA urban legend. Now he finds himself in the co-main event at UFC 202 against Anthony Johnson on August 20. read news >>

UFC 202 Primer: Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira will collide in the co-main event of UFC 202 for a light heavyweight tilt carrying strong title implications. Both men are rebounding from abortive title runs, Tei read news >>

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

The Question: Does Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Point to Divisional Woes?

UFC 202 is on Saturday, and if you haven’t looked closely, you might have missed the fact that there are other fights on the card aside from Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor. You can understand how that read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett Available on Free to Air Television in Germany

UFC today announced that the upcoming UFC Fight Night 93: Alovski vs. Barnett will air on the free to air channel ProSieben MAXX. read news >>

Glover Teixeira Full UFC 202 Open Workout Scrum Video

After Glover Teixeira participated in the UFC 202 open workouts, he answered questions from the media about his co-main event bout against Anthony Johnson. read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>

UFC 202 Results: Anthony Johnson Flattens Glover Teixeira in 13 Seconds

Top light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson made quick work of second ranked Glover Teixeira in the UFC 202 co-main event on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>