glover-teixeira-6.jpg(This story appears in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil – THE UFC conducts its third fight card in seven days tonight. Although the latest has been overshadowed by its predecessors, UFC Fight Night 28 features three contests with top-10 fighters, led by the matchup of light heavyweights Glover Teixeira vs. Ryan Bader.

Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), ranked seventh in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA rankings, and No. 10 Bader (15-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) headline the event at Mineirinho Arena (5 p.m. ET, FOX Sports 1).

Teixeira, a Brazilian who lives and trains in Danbury, Conn., returns to his home state of Minas Geraisto compete professionally for the first time.

“When I was fighting in Brazil, I was always thinking I would eventually get on a card in Belo Horizonte so I could fight in my home state, but I never got that opportunity,” Teixeira told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com. “Now I’m in the UFC, and I’m fighting in the main event here. It’s going to be great. It’s very exciting. I hope all the people will come to support me.”

Teixeira, 33, a longtime training partner of UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell, made his UFC debut 16 months ago but already has four wins, each more impressive than the last. Recently, UFC Director of International Development Marshall Zelaznik said that a “strong victory” against Bader could earn Teixeira a shot at the light heavyweight title.

Teixeira, who was not present at that August press conference, said he heard about the opportunity almost immediately but said it will have little effect on his approach to the fight.

“Right away my friends called me and said, ‘Guess what,’” Teixeira said. “But no matter what happens, whether I could have a title shot or not, I’m going to step into the octagon the same way. I’m going to go for the knockout. That’s the way I fight.

“I’m going to push the pace. I’m going to try to control the octagon and finish the fight as fast as I can. It’s not a matter of doing something different because I might have a title shot later. That’s the way I fight.”

Bader, a two-time Division I All-American wrestler and winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 8,” represents the best wrestler Teixeira has faced. However, Teixeira has a 19-fight winning streak, 17 of which came by stoppage, a testament to both his knockout power and submission abilities.

Wednesday’s event represents Teixeira’s opportunity to transition from long-hyped prospect to true championship contender, and he’ll do it before a friendly crowd that will include his four siblings. Unfortunately, his parents will not be there.

“My dad wanted to go, but my mom, she gets nervous,” Teixeira said. “She doesn’t watch the fights live. She records them watches them later. So my dad is just going to stay home and keep her happy.”

Also on the card, No. 4 middleweight Yushin Okami (29-7 MMA, 13-4 UFC) meets No. 8 Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza (18-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC), and No. 2 flyweight Joseph Benavidez (18-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC) faces No. 5 Jussier Formiga (15-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC).

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 28, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, June 30: 'Soldier of God' on the rise

After a weekend with Bellator 139 and UFC Fight Night 70, the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA rankings got an update, and “Soldier of God” was the big winner.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, read news >>

Here We Go: Josh Samman breaks down Reebok unveiling

The UFC announced further details of their Athletic Outfitting Policy today, removing many of the questions surrounding things to come. In this feature article, UFC middleweight Josh Samman does his read news >>

Video: UFC champ Ronda Rousey on her role in Reebok's women's fight kits

The UFC and Reebok today unveiled fighters’ new uniform “fight kits” at a special presentation in New York. We talked to Ronda Rousey about the role she played in the creation of the women’s kits. Fi read news >>

Fan Perspective: The UFC's new Reebok uniforms and Yoel Romero's comments

The UFC unveiled its new uniform kits today, a long-awaited reveal with new partner Reebok. Joe Ferraro reached out to get fans’ takes on that, plus Yoel Romero’s controversial post-fight speech in F read news >>

The UFC's Reebok era has finally begun, but things are off to a rocky start

Today we got our first look at the UFC’s new Reebok “fighter kits.” For a change that’s supposed to “elevate” the sport of MMA, it seems just as likely to homogenize it.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Check out Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor unveiling new UFC 'fighter kits'

NEW YORK CITY – The UFC and Reebok today unveiled their new “fighter kits,” and the organization’s biggest stars, including champion Ronda Rousey and UFC 189 headliner Conor McGregor, were there to m read news >>

UFC's new Reebok fight kits have some humorous errors

The UFC and Reebok unveiled their long-awaited fight kits today, but some of them didn't turn out as intended. After waiting forever for the UFC and Reebok to put out their fighter uniforms, or fight read news >>

Pic: New UFC uniforms revealed during Reebok 'Fight Kit' press conference

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) held a special media press conference earlier today (Tues., June 30, 2015) in New York City to unveil its long-awaited "Fight Kit" from Reebok. Watch the video re read news >>

Live stream: Watch official UFC-Reebok 'Fight Kit' press conference video here

Today is the big day! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will reveal its Reebok "Fight Kit" during a special media press conference today (Tues., June 30, 2015) in New York City, which means mixed read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC-Reebok 'fight kit' press conference at 10 a.m. ET

The UFC today hosts a press conference as officials and nearly two dozen UFC fighters unveil the new Reebok “fight kits,” and you can just us for a live stream of the festivities today at 10 a.m. ET read news >>