glover-teixeira-6.jpg(This story appears in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil – THE UFC conducts its third fight card in seven days tonight. Although the latest has been overshadowed by its predecessors, UFC Fight Night 28 features three contests with top-10 fighters, led by the matchup of light heavyweights Glover Teixeira vs. Ryan Bader.

Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), ranked seventh in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA rankings, and No. 10 Bader (15-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) headline the event at Mineirinho Arena (5 p.m. ET, FOX Sports 1).

Teixeira, a Brazilian who lives and trains in Danbury, Conn., returns to his home state of Minas Geraisto compete professionally for the first time.

“When I was fighting in Brazil, I was always thinking I would eventually get on a card in Belo Horizonte so I could fight in my home state, but I never got that opportunity,” Teixeira told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com. “Now I’m in the UFC, and I’m fighting in the main event here. It’s going to be great. It’s very exciting. I hope all the people will come to support me.”

Teixeira, 33, a longtime training partner of UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell, made his UFC debut 16 months ago but already has four wins, each more impressive than the last. Recently, UFC Director of International Development Marshall Zelaznik said that a “strong victory” against Bader could earn Teixeira a shot at the light heavyweight title.

Teixeira, who was not present at that August press conference, said he heard about the opportunity almost immediately but said it will have little effect on his approach to the fight.

“Right away my friends called me and said, ‘Guess what,’” Teixeira said. “But no matter what happens, whether I could have a title shot or not, I’m going to step into the octagon the same way. I’m going to go for the knockout. That’s the way I fight.

“I’m going to push the pace. I’m going to try to control the octagon and finish the fight as fast as I can. It’s not a matter of doing something different because I might have a title shot later. That’s the way I fight.”

Bader, a two-time Division I All-American wrestler and winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 8,” represents the best wrestler Teixeira has faced. However, Teixeira has a 19-fight winning streak, 17 of which came by stoppage, a testament to both his knockout power and submission abilities.

Wednesday’s event represents Teixeira’s opportunity to transition from long-hyped prospect to true championship contender, and he’ll do it before a friendly crowd that will include his four siblings. Unfortunately, his parents will not be there.

“My dad wanted to go, but my mom, she gets nervous,” Teixeira said. “She doesn’t watch the fights live. She records them watches them later. So my dad is just going to stay home and keep her happy.”

Also on the card, No. 4 middleweight Yushin Okami (29-7 MMA, 13-4 UFC) meets No. 8 Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza (18-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC), and No. 2 flyweight Joseph Benavidez (18-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC) faces No. 5 Jussier Formiga (15-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC).

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 28, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 96

The biggest prize in MMA today is a fight with Conor McGregor. Fans and fighters may not like it, but it's an indisputable fact at this point. Whether it's Chad Mendes, Jose Aldo or Nate Diaz, facing read news >>

UFC Mexico City: Quick Results | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Etzel Espinosa-USA TODAY Sports? Ferguson Sees Off Dos Anjos Tony Ferguson extended his unbeaten run to nine with a victory over his toughest opponent to date, Rafael Dos Anjos. The contest read news >>

Jon Jones gets 1-year suspension from USADA for doping violation stemming from UFC 200

A three-member arbitration panel today upheld a standard one-year suspension for Jon Jones’ UFC 200 drug test failure, rendering the UFC interim light heavyweight champ unable to fight until July 7, read news >>

The Tactical Guide to Conor McGregor versus Eddie Alvarez | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Joshua Dahl-USA TODAY Sports When he found out that Jose Aldo had pulled out of their UFC 189 title fight, and that Chad Mendes would be taking the Brazilian's place, Conor McGregor is credi read news >>

UFC Announces Highly Anticipated Return to London

After months of speculation, UFC® today announced its much anticipated return to London, England. The event will take place at The O2 in London on Saturday, March 18, 2017. read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 205 press conference live on MMAjunkie at 3 p.m. ET

Two days before the big event, you can watch a live video stream of today’s official UFC 205 pre-event press conference here on MMAjunkie beginning at 3 p.m. ET (noon PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Vide read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 205 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET

NEW YORK – UFC 205 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place today, and you can catch a live stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

ONE Championship 49 live and official results

“ONE Championship 49: Defending Honor” takes place today, and you can join us for live and official results beginning at 7 a.m. ET (4 a.m. PT).Filed under: News read news >>

The Messy Rise of Sergey Kovalev | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Eric Bolte-USA TODAY Sports I am discussing four drunk men in a bathhouse with Sergey "The Krusher" Kovalev, the undefeated light-heavyweight champ known most for his overwhelming power. We' read news >>

Donald Trump May Attend UFC 205 | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports After an endless, bruising, down-to-the-wire gut-punch of a presidential election we as Americans, who have spent so much of the last 18 months at each other read news >>