demetrious-johnson-24.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

SEATTLE – For most new parents, the first week after their child’s birth is one of great joy, a time to celebrate a new life and the growth of a family. For UFC flyweight titleholder Demetrious Johnson, that week will include a five-round prizefight with his belt on the line.

“I’ve never gotten in the octagon, regardless of the circumstances, and not been in shape and prepared to fight,” Johnson told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “So I’ve made arrangements. It’s not like I was in the hospital eating chicken tenders and french fries. I’m going to handle my business as a married husband and take care of my responsibilities, but I’m also going to handle my business as UFC champion.”

Johnson (17-2-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC), a Washington state native and resident, puts his 125-pound title on the line Saturday against top contender John Moraga (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in the headlining bout of UFC on FOX 8, at Seattle’s KeyArena. The four-fight main card airs on Fox (8 p.m. ET) following prelims on FX (5 p.m. ET).

Johnson’s wife, Destiny, gave birth on Friday to the couple’s first child, son Tyren. Johnson briefly broke training camp to enjoy the occasion, but insists his 12 weeks of intense preparation wasn’t affected by the short hiatus. Incredibly, balancing his pre-fight readiness with his wife’s pregnancy might not have even been the most difficult hurdle to overcome.

It was four months ago that Johnson, 26, had shoulder surgery to repair multiple labrum tears. Still, “Mighty Mouse” insists he’s 100 percent heading into his second title defense.

“I know it’s a fast turnaround with me getting back into it, but honestly, I had a good surgeon, and I listened to my coaches and just took my time with this injury,” Johnson said. “We hammered the physical therapy pretty hard, but when it came to relaxing and healing and all that stuff, I made sure to take precautions. Now I’m back in there to fight.”

In Moraga, Johnson faces an opponent who, though relatively unknown to the casual fan after two UFC appearances, boasts an impressive blend of wrestling prowess and durability, plus knockout power. Moraga, who trains alongside UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson at Arizona’s MMA Lab, has also criticized Johnson, labeling the champ’s style as “boring” and unwilling to put on “fights the fans want to see.”

Johnson is aware of the criticism, but the even-keeled champ said this hasn’t become a grudge fight.

“I don’t let it affect me,” Johnson said. “That’s his opinion, and everybody is entitled to his opinion. At the end of the day, July 27, we’re going to step into the octagon and fight.”

On Saturday, Johnson will make the 30-minute drive from his home in Kirkland, Wash., to KeyArena, where all the variables will be put to the test. While it seems Johnson’s road to the event has been paved with pitfalls and distractions, he insists everything is going according to plan.

“My training was good, my family is good, weight is good – everything is just really good,” Johnson said. “On Saturday, I’m going to just go up the street, fight, and drive back home.”

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Video: Watch today's UFC Fight Night 98 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 7 p.m. ET

MEXICO CITY – UFC Fight Night 98 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place on today, and you can catch a live stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 163 official results and live video stream (6:45 p.m. ET)

Bellator 163 takes place today, and you can join us for official results and a live video stream here on MMAjunkie beginning at 6:45 p.m. ET (3:45 p.m. PT).Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

One to Watch: Beneil Dariush vs. Rashid Magomedov | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Joshua Lindsey-USA TODAY Sports Two weeks without a UFC event seems an abnormally long time, given the promotion’s busy 2016 schedule. But, Saturday 5th November sees the UFC return to our l read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 96

The biggest prize in MMA today is a fight with Conor McGregor. Fans and fighters may not like it, but it's an indisputable fact at this point. Whether it's Chad Mendes, Jose Aldo or Nate Diaz, facing read news >>

UFC Mexico City: Quick Results | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Etzel Espinosa-USA TODAY Sports? Ferguson Sees Off Dos Anjos Tony Ferguson extended his unbeaten run to nine with a victory over his toughest opponent to date, Rafael Dos Anjos. The contest read news >>

Jon Jones gets 1-year suspension from USADA for doping violation stemming from UFC 200

A three-member arbitration panel today upheld a standard one-year suspension for Jon Jones’ UFC 200 drug test failure, rendering the UFC interim light heavyweight champ unable to fight until July 7, read news >>

The Tactical Guide to Conor McGregor versus Eddie Alvarez | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Joshua Dahl-USA TODAY Sports When he found out that Jose Aldo had pulled out of their UFC 189 title fight, and that Chad Mendes would be taking the Brazilian's place, Conor McGregor is credi read news >>

UFC Announces Highly Anticipated Return to London

After months of speculation, UFC® today announced its much anticipated return to London, England. The event will take place at The O2 in London on Saturday, March 18, 2017. read news >>

Frankie Edgar responds to Conor McGregor's criticism he wasn't good enough to headline UFC 205

NEW YORK – Conor McGregor recently said he would have been fighting Frankie Edgar in the UFC 205 headliner had Edgar not lost to Jose Aldo at UFC 200 earlier this year. “The Answer” heard those comme read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 205 press conference live on MMAjunkie at 3 p.m. ET

Two days before the big event, you can watch a live video stream of today’s official UFC 205 pre-event press conference here on MMAjunkie beginning at 3 p.m. ET (noon PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Vide read news >>