miesha-tate-18.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

LAS VEGAS – UFC women’s bantamweight contender Miesha Tate soon will become the latest fighter to appear nude in ESPN the Magazine’s “Body Issue.” While the publication strives for artful shots done in a tasteful fashion, Tate admits her participation wasn’t a decision she took lightly.

“I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous when they first approached me,” Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) told USA TODAY Sports. “It really took some quality group decision-making for me to do it. But now that I did it, it was an awesome experience, and I’m definitely very honored to be a part of this issue.”

Tate is in Las Vegas filming Season 18 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” in which she serves as a team coach opposite her rival, UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. The series debuts Sept. 4 on FOX Sports 1.

In April, Tate fought in the second women’s bout held under the UFC banner. A former Strikeforce champion and six-year professional, Tate has never been afraid to play up her sexuality as a means of self-marketing. But she said it remains imperative to keep a proper balance between sensuality and sport.

“I just felt like I should be proud of being a strong and empowered woman,” Tate said. “I’m proud of my physique. I work really hard, and I felt like that was a very appropriate way to kind of show it and to be able to look back on it one day and say, ‘You know, that was me when I was young.’

“It’s a fine line to walk, and I think that everyone has a different line to walk. My goal is to be respected first and foremost as an athlete. However, I don’t see any problem with a woman embracing her beauty. Sexuality is fine. I’m proud of myself that I’m able to compete in a sport that’s mainly driven by men and testosterone. It’s not typically something you would picture a woman doing. So I think it’s a really healthy balance to have, and it’s something that I’m comfortable with and proud of.”

Tate’s photo shoot took place in May at a private Southern California beach, where she says it took time to feel comfortable. Still, she’s proud to join Rousey, Jon Jones and Gina Carano as MMA fighters who have been featured in “The Body Issue,” which goes on sale July 12.

“It definitely was very nerve-racking,” Tate said. “Granted, it was a private beach, but there were still some pedestrians that could possibly walk by. But the crew did a great job of putting blinders up and trying to keep it as private as possible. And once you got into the flow of things, any sense of modesty kind of has to go out the window. So we just had fun with it.

“Everyone was very professional, and it was a blast. To be a part of ESPN’s ‘The Body Issue’ is just such a huge honor that it didn’t make sense to turn it down.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Miesha Tate 'extremely disappointed' at Ronda Rousey-Holly Holm title snub

Onetime UFC title challenger Miesha Tate took to social media today to vent on the promotion’s decision to book Holly Holm over her as the next contender to champ Ronda Rousey.Filed under: Featured, read news >>

Photo: Miesha Tate Stares Down Cris 'Cyborg' Justino on Set of 'Fight Valley'

• a day ago

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is big. Like, really big. During filming for the upcoming movie Fight Valley, Cyborg squared off with UFC women's bantamweight Miesha Tate, dwarfing her in the process. The prod read news >>

Fans invited to today's UFC Fight Night 73 open workouts, Friday's weigh-ins

Near Nashville and wanting access to this week’s pre-UFC Fight Night 73 events? Fans are invited to today’s open workouts and Friday’s weigh-ins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch today's RFA 28 weigh-ins on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET

Weigh-ins for Friday’s RFA 28 take place today, and you can watch a live stream exclusively on MMAjunkie.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Videos read news >>

The MMA Hour - 293 - Miesha Tate

Miesha Tate will give her thoughts on Ronda Rousey's win and facing her for a third time. read news >>

Miesha Tate: Bethe Correia ‘got what was coming to her’ at UFC 190

At least on the promotional side, few fighters have ever attacked Ronda Rousey quite like Bethe Correia did before UFC 190. Correia's infamous ‘suicide‘ remark set a tone that stretched well into fig read news >>

Miesha Tate: Correia isn't that good, 'got what was coming' against Ronda Rousey

Miesha Tate doesn't think Bethe Correia is that good yet, and thinks she got what she asked for after stepping out of line with her trash talk against Ronda Rousey. read news >>

'Third time won't be different': Ronda Rousey opens as 11-1 favorite vs. Miesha Tate

It appears the long odds against Ronda Rousey’s opponents will continue – something the MMA world probably should get used to.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Power-punching Miesha Tate 'catching up to Ronda Rousey as far as being a better athlete'

After disposing of Jessica Eye at UFC on FOX 16 just a few weeks ago in Chicago, Illinois (watch it), Miesha Tate earned herself a third fight against Ronda Rousey and another chance to unseat "Rowdy read news >>

The MMA Hour with Miesha Tate, Joanna Jedrzejczyk, Chad Mendes, Ray Sefo, Dustin Poirier, Gene LeBell, Michael Lunardell

The Mixed Martial Arts Hour is back in your life on Tuesday. Below is a rundown of the show: 1:00 p.m. ET -- World Series of Fighting president Ray Sefo will discuss Rousimar Palhares' controversial read news >>