ryan-couture-7.jpg(This story appeared in today’s print edition of USA TODAY.)

Ryan Couture always knew his last name would be a blessing and a curse.

The son of UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture knew that following in his father’s fighting footsteps would mean dealing with the spotlight every step of the way.

“It’s opened a lot of doors for me, and there’s no way with so few fights that I would be in the position I’m in right now if it wasn’t for my last name, so I owe a lot to it,” Ryan Couture told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and USA TODAY Sports.

“It’s also opened me up to some extra criticism and set the bar much higher that I have to strive to meet. But I’ve enjoyed the challenge, and I think it’s sort of lit that fire under me that I’ve needed to get to the level I’m at in the time that it’s taken.”

Couture (6-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) makes his UFC debut April 6, facing British lightweight Ross Pearson (14-6 MMA, 6-3 UFC) in the co-main event of “UFC on Fuel TV 9: Gustafsson vs. Mousasi” at Stockholm’s Ericsson Globe Arena (Fuel TV, 2 p.m. ET).

“With every fight, competing in the UFC seemed more like (it) was going to be a reality,” says Couture, who fought for Strikeforce before the UFC’s sister promotion closed shop in January. “I felt I was proving more to myself and everyone else every time out. Going from the prelims on a Strikeforce event to the co-main event of a UFC card is a major step up. It’s going to be a great fight and a hell of an experience.”

Despite his status as MMA royalty, Randy Couture and his former UFC employers haven’t always been on the best of terms. A recent dispute, stemming from Couture’s new business relationship with rival organization Bellator MMA, means dad won’t be in his son’s corner for the historic moment when Ryan becomes the first child of a UFC veteran to appear in the octagon.

“It’s a bummer things went the way they did, but I feel Dad made the decision he felt was best for him, and I respect that,” says Couture, 30. “I’m not thrilled he can’t be there, but at the end of the day, I’ve still got to fight, so I’m just making the most of it and working with what I’ve got.”

Where that will take him remains to be seen. But he insists he’s not trying to live up to anyone’s expectations but his own.

“You just have to tell people, ‘Hey, I’m not him,’” Couture says. “I never said that I was setting out to achieve what he achieved. I’ve always been pretty clear that I’m just doing stuff that I love and trying to do it the best that I can.”

For more on UFC on FUEL TV 9, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, June 30: 'Soldier of God' on the rise

After a weekend with Bellator 139 and UFC Fight Night 70, the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA rankings got an update, and “Soldier of God” was the big winner.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, read news >>

Here We Go: Josh Samman breaks down Reebok unveiling

The UFC announced further details of their Athletic Outfitting Policy today, removing many of the questions surrounding things to come. In this feature article, UFC middleweight Josh Samman does his read news >>

Video: UFC champ Ronda Rousey on her role in Reebok's women's fight kits

The UFC and Reebok today unveiled fighters’ new uniform “fight kits” at a special presentation in New York. We talked to Ronda Rousey about the role she played in the creation of the women’s kits. Fi read news >>

Fan Perspective: The UFC's new Reebok uniforms and Yoel Romero's comments

The UFC unveiled its new uniform kits today, a long-awaited reveal with new partner Reebok. Joe Ferraro reached out to get fans’ takes on that, plus Yoel Romero’s controversial post-fight speech in F read news >>

The UFC's Reebok era has finally begun, but things are off to a rocky start

Today we got our first look at the UFC’s new Reebok “fighter kits.” For a change that’s supposed to “elevate” the sport of MMA, it seems just as likely to homogenize it.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Check out Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor unveiling new UFC 'fighter kits'

NEW YORK CITY – The UFC and Reebok today unveiled their new “fighter kits,” and the organization’s biggest stars, including champion Ronda Rousey and UFC 189 headliner Conor McGregor, were there to m read news >>

UFC's new Reebok fight kits have some humorous errors

The UFC and Reebok unveiled their long-awaited fight kits today, but some of them didn't turn out as intended. After waiting forever for the UFC and Reebok to put out their fighter uniforms, or fight read news >>

Pic: New UFC uniforms revealed during Reebok 'Fight Kit' press conference

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) held a special media press conference earlier today (Tues., June 30, 2015) in New York City to unveil its long-awaited "Fight Kit" from Reebok. Watch the video re read news >>

Live stream: Watch official UFC-Reebok 'Fight Kit' press conference video here

Today is the big day! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will reveal its Reebok "Fight Kit" during a special media press conference today (Tues., June 30, 2015) in New York City, which means mixed read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC-Reebok 'fight kit' press conference at 10 a.m. ET

The UFC today hosts a press conference as officials and nearly two dozen UFC fighters unveil the new Reebok “fight kits,” and you can just us for a live stream of the festivities today at 10 a.m. ET read news >>