ryan-couture-7.jpg(This story appeared in today’s print edition of USA TODAY.)

Ryan Couture always knew his last name would be a blessing and a curse.

The son of UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture knew that following in his father’s fighting footsteps would mean dealing with the spotlight every step of the way.

“It’s opened a lot of doors for me, and there’s no way with so few fights that I would be in the position I’m in right now if it wasn’t for my last name, so I owe a lot to it,” Ryan Couture told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and USA TODAY Sports.

“It’s also opened me up to some extra criticism and set the bar much higher that I have to strive to meet. But I’ve enjoyed the challenge, and I think it’s sort of lit that fire under me that I’ve needed to get to the level I’m at in the time that it’s taken.”

Couture (6-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) makes his UFC debut April 6, facing British lightweight Ross Pearson (14-6 MMA, 6-3 UFC) in the co-main event of “UFC on Fuel TV 9: Gustafsson vs. Mousasi” at Stockholm’s Ericsson Globe Arena (Fuel TV, 2 p.m. ET).

“With every fight, competing in the UFC seemed more like (it) was going to be a reality,” says Couture, who fought for Strikeforce before the UFC’s sister promotion closed shop in January. “I felt I was proving more to myself and everyone else every time out. Going from the prelims on a Strikeforce event to the co-main event of a UFC card is a major step up. It’s going to be a great fight and a hell of an experience.”

Despite his status as MMA royalty, Randy Couture and his former UFC employers haven’t always been on the best of terms. A recent dispute, stemming from Couture’s new business relationship with rival organization Bellator MMA, means dad won’t be in his son’s corner for the historic moment when Ryan becomes the first child of a UFC veteran to appear in the octagon.

“It’s a bummer things went the way they did, but I feel Dad made the decision he felt was best for him, and I respect that,” says Couture, 30. “I’m not thrilled he can’t be there, but at the end of the day, I’ve still got to fight, so I’m just making the most of it and working with what I’ve got.”

Where that will take him remains to be seen. But he insists he’s not trying to live up to anyone’s expectations but his own.

“You just have to tell people, ‘Hey, I’m not him,’” Couture says. “I never said that I was setting out to achieve what he achieved. I’ve always been pretty clear that I’m just doing stuff that I love and trying to do it the best that I can.”

For more on UFC on FUEL TV 9, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Fans invited to today's UFC Fight Night 73 open workouts, Friday's weigh-ins

Near Nashville and wanting access to this week’s pre-UFC Fight Night 73 events? Fans are invited to today’s open workouts and Friday’s weigh-ins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch today's RFA 28 weigh-ins on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET

Weigh-ins for Friday’s RFA 28 take place today, and you can watch a live stream exclusively on MMAjunkie.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Videos read news >>

Jake Shields knew Rousimar Palhares was 'a dirty cheater, but I wasn't ready for eye-gouges'

LAS VEGAS – Once or twice? Perhaps he could overlook it. But at least eight “blatant” eye-gouges? That’s where Jake Shields drew the line with WSOF welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares.Filed under read news >>

Jake Shields outraged at Rousimar Palhares: ‘What he did was absolutely blatant cheating'

LAS VEGAS -- Jake Shields knew what he was getting into when he signed up to fight Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 22, but what transpired Saturday night was even beyond what he could'v read news >>

Watch WSOF 22 Prelims fights online | Live WSOF.com free stream video

The "Prelims" bouts for WSOF 22: "Palhares vs. Shields" will stream live online today (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) from Planet Hollywood Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, prior to the NBC Sports broadcast. It is read news >>

Dana White: Correia 'absolutely' knew Rousey's father committed suicide

Dana White says Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew about Ronda Rousey's father committing suicide before she made the suicide insult. Earlier in May, bantamweight title challenger Bethe Correia may have read news >>

UFC 190 Video: Jose Aldo recovered from injury, would 'beat' Conor McGregor today

During a UFC 190 Q&A, Jose Aldo spoke about his return to training after a rib injury and a unification bout against Conor McGregor. Jose Aldo was a guest at UFC 190 fan Q&A, and he spoke about recov read news >>

WSOF 22 live video stream and official results (8 p.m. ET)

WSOF 22 takes place today, and you can join us for a live stream and official results beginning at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, Videos, WSOF read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 190's post-fight press conference on MMAjunkie

RIO DE JANEIRO – UFC 190 takes place today at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena. As usual, you can watch a live video stream of the post-fight news conference here on MMAjunkie following the event.Filed un read news >>

Dana White: Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew Ronda Rousey's father committed suicide before comments

Ronda Rousey is partly fueled at UFC 190 by comments Bethe Correia made about Rousey possibly killing herself if she loses. Rousey's father committed suicide when she was a child. Correia has apologi read news >>