rashad-evans-36.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

Even as the fight was happening, Rashad Evans knew it was a bad one.

The former UFC light heavyweight titlist could feel it as he stood in the cage across from Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 156 in February. Nogueira waited for Evans to attack. Evans waited for Nogueira. In the end, Evans acknowledges, “Really nothing happened.”

Actually, one thing did happen. Evans (17-3-1 MMA, 12-3-1 UFC) lost a unanimous decision, his second in a row.

In nine years as a pro, he had never lost back-to-back fights. He had also never lost while doing so little to try to win, which was what really bothered him.

“My coach was in the corner telling me, ‘You’ve got to go,’” Evans told USA TODAY Sports. “But I couldn’t hit that switch. I just couldn’t turn it on and let it all hang out.”

Now that he has had a few months to dwell on it, he thinks he knows why. It has a lot to do with an accusation that has followed him since he first appeared in the UFC in 2005, when fans and some fellow fighters criticized him for being too cocky.

“I turned down the swagger a little because I wanted to be more focused in my competitions,” Evans said. “But when I did that, I took a little piece away from me. I took a little of that go inside of me that pushed me, that part that made me get into a dogfight with anybody and do anything to get the win.”

Evans will get his chance to rediscover that swagger in the main event of UFC 161, which takes place at MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, on Saturday (pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET).

He faces former PRIDE champion Dan Henderson (29-9 MMA, 6-3 UFC), who is coming off a lackluster decision loss of his own to former champion Lyoto Machida in February.

With both fighters seeking redemption, Evans doesn’t expect any shortage of action. But he has to find the right balance, especially against a knockout artist such as Henderson.

“When I go out there and compete, I have to be cocky,” Evans said. “That’s how I compete. I have to have my swag out there and be like that because that’s a part of me. It’s a part you’d never see of me in regular life because I joke around and smile, and you don’t see that side.

“But when I compete, I want the person I’m fighting to know that he shouldn’t have even signed the contract to fight me. He should be embarrassed, and I want to embarrass him for doing so.”

As Evans knows, that kind of attitude brings out haters. Then again, so can an overabundance of caution.

“No one wrote a book on what you should and shouldn’t do,” Evans said. “I’m just making it up as I go along. But at the same time, I have to be honest with myself.

“I have to be real with myself and compete the way I’m feeling. When I’m in the moment, my body will do what it does. And when that happens, I have to trust that it will be OK.”

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jake Shields knew Rousimar Palhares was 'a dirty cheater, but I wasn't ready for eye-gouges'

LAS VEGAS – Once or twice? Perhaps he could overlook it. But at least eight “blatant” eye-gouges? That’s where Jake Shields drew the line with WSOF welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares.Filed under read news >>

Jake Shields outraged at Rousimar Palhares: ‘What he did was absolutely blatant cheating'

LAS VEGAS -- Jake Shields knew what he was getting into when he signed up to fight Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 22, but what transpired Saturday night was even beyond what he could'v read news >>

UFC 190 stream: 'Rousey vs Correia' live results, updates, recaps and more

UFC 190 results live online: UFC returns to pay-per-view (PPV) TONIGHT (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) with "Rousey vs. Correia," which features a five-round women's Bantamweight championship main event match b read news >>

Watch WSOF 22 Prelims fights online | Live WSOF.com free stream video

The "Prelims" bouts for WSOF 22: "Palhares vs. Shields" will stream live online today (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) from Planet Hollywood Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, prior to the NBC Sports broadcast. It is read news >>

UFC 190: Latest Rousey vs. Correia Fight-Card Predictions and Projected Winners

The UFC returns to the birth spot of modern MMA this weekend, when it presents UFC 190 live from Rio de Janeiro on Saturday. Women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey will defend against Brazil's ow read news >>

Dana White: Correia 'absolutely' knew Rousey's father committed suicide

Dana White says Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew about Ronda Rousey's father committing suicide before she made the suicide insult. Earlier in May, bantamweight title challenger Bethe Correia may have read news >>

UFC 190 Video: Jose Aldo recovered from injury, would 'beat' Conor McGregor today

During a UFC 190 Q&A, Jose Aldo spoke about his return to training after a rib injury and a unification bout against Conor McGregor. Jose Aldo was a guest at UFC 190 fan Q&A, and he spoke about recov read news >>

WSOF 22 live video stream and official results (8 p.m. ET)

WSOF 22 takes place today, and you can join us for a live stream and official results beginning at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, Videos, WSOF read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 190's post-fight press conference on MMAjunkie

RIO DE JANEIRO – UFC 190 takes place today at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena. As usual, you can watch a live video stream of the post-fight news conference here on MMAjunkie following the event.Filed un read news >>

Dana White: Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew Ronda Rousey's father committed suicide before comments

Ronda Rousey is partly fueled at UFC 190 by comments Bethe Correia made about Rousey possibly killing herself if she loses. Rousey's father committed suicide when she was a child. Correia has apologi read news >>