USA TODAY: Eddie Alvarez says 'gloves are off' in Viacom/Bellator contract fight

• submit to reddit

eddie-alvarez-13.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

Eddie Alvarez is through playing nice. When it comes to his legal battle with his former employers at the Bellator MMA fight promotion, Alvarez said, “The gloves are off.”

“They’re not playing fair,” said Alvarez (24-3), who criticized Bellator’s majority owner, Viacom, as a “group of idiots” in a Twitter tirade last weekend.

For Alvarez (24-3), a highly marketable fighter who’s No. 10 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings, that means giving up any hope of a settlement with Bellator or a speedy resolution to their contract dispute, and taking his fight to the court of public opinion while he waits for a trial to settle the matter. Alvarez’s lawsuit has been filed in U.S. District Court in New Jersey.

In October the former Bellator lightweight champion won the final fight on his contract, allowing him to entertain offers from the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Bellator initially granted Alvarez an early release from his exclusive negotiation period but retained the right to match any offer Alvarez received. That’s exactly what the organization claimed it did after the UFC made him an offer, though Alvarez and his legal team disagree.

“They’re saying they’re matching the UFC’s contract,” Alvarez said. “They knew they couldn’t match it, and when I was given my early release, they tried to change the wording in my early release, which I had to sign. They tried to change ‘all terms’ to ‘material terms’ because they know they can’t match all terms.”

That’s just one of the accusations Alvarez is making. He also said though Viacom lawyers told a judge of plans to put him in a pay-per-view championship fight, no such plans exist.

Bellator has yet to hold a PPV event, and even if it did, Alvarez said, “they know they wouldn’t even come close to doing the same numbers as the UFC,” which offered him a percentage of PPV revenue in its offer.

Representatives for Bellator and Viacom, which owns the Spike TV network that airs Bellator events, declined to comment for this story, though Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney recently said discussions with Alvarez had broken down.

“I don’t have any projections of it getting settled at this point because we’re not talking,” he said.

In the meantime, Alvarez is out of work. He recently sold an investment property in Philadelphia, which he said he “had to do to survive financially.” He has accused Bellator of short-changing other fighters, saying the organization bullied another former champion into taking a pay cut.

“It’s become a little bigger than my case,” Alvarez said. “I’m no sob story. There are fighters who make way less who have to fight. They can’t speak out because they have bills to pay. I’m fortunate to be in the position where I can stand up for myself. I don’t know if it’s worth it, but I know that this is what I would tell my kids to do. As long as I can pay my bills and stay afloat, I’m going to do what’s right.”

(Pictured: Eddie Alvarez)

Eddie Alvarez had 'emergency' talks with Scott Coker that forced him to cancel an Asian tour, with his contract situation likely to be a main talking point with Bellator. Members of the Blackzillians such as Tyrone Spong are currently on a seminar tour in Asia, and one of the main draws for that trip was supposed to be Bellator lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez, until he decided to pull out on the last minute. According to a report from MMA-in-Asia, the reason behind the cancellation was brought o read news >>

Bellator interim champ Will Brooks was “shocked” and “surprised” at the promotion’s recent change of leadership. He’s currently lying low, but he still he wants a title-unification bout with Eddie Alvarez.Filed under: Bellator, News (...) read news >>

Let's get this out of the way from the top. Will Brooks never asked for the sort of luckless fate that befell poor Bjorn Rebney, a strangely apathetic exile which booted the former Bellator boss straight from the penthouse to the outhouse while the masses engaged in their own public revelry. Still, if ever there was a man who called his shot, it was Brooks. Here is the ultimate party spoiler, the thorn who burst the "most anticipated" trilogy bubble and never once toed the company line in doing read news >>

• a day ago

A loaded UFC 178 lineup could get even more interesting, as a bout between streaking lightweight Donald Cerrone and Bellator 155-pound kingpin Eddie Alvarez has been targeted for the Sept. 27 event. read news >>

• 22 hours ago

Could Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez be UFC bound? According to Sherdog.com, a bout between Alvarez and Donald Cerrone is being targeted for UFC 178 Sept. 27 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Sources close to the bout who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the matchup had not yet been finalized confirmed the news to Sherdog.com. The bout is contingent on the UFC acquiring Alvarez's services from Bellator. Negotiations are ongoing because Alvarez currently remains under Bellator contrac read news >>

• 22 hours ago

According to reports, Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez is now a member of the UFC, and he already has his first fight lined up: a UFC 178 tilt opposite top-10 staple Donald Cerrone on Sept. 27. The news was first reported Wednesday night by Sherdog. Rumors have swirled over the last week of a mystery fight being in the works for UFC 178, and some speculated days ago that the UFC had successfully spirited Alvarez into the promotion. Regarding the UFC 178 co main event. It's not Ronda G read news >>

• 21 hours ago

When I jokingly said on The MMA Beat that if Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva was booked, I'd have to question my religious beliefs, I never thought people would take it seriously. But many did, and I'm not entirely sure I can blame them. Diaz vs. Silva isn't the perfect superfight or the best kind of superfight that can be made. It's also arguably not even a superfight, but quibbling about the context is a useless exercise. It's the kind of fight that doesn't get made often that the game sorely lac read news >>

• 20 hours ago

Assuming the Bellator lightweight champ defect to ZUFFA Most mixed martial arts (MMA) fans were completely bummed out when Khabib Nurmagomedov was injured and forced to withdraw from his Donald Cerrone fight at UFC 178, which takes place on Sept. 27, 2014 inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Here's something that might cheer them up. According to a surprising report from Sherdog.com, Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez could soon find his way to "Sin City" as a replacement read news >>

• 17 hours ago

MMA fans may see yet another action packed bout added to UFC 178 as rumors of a bout between Donald Cerrone and Bellator champion Eddie Alvarez are picking up steam. UFC 178 is already one of the most exciting fight cards in recent memory, with Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier as the main event. There have been rumors for days that there is another fight in the works that would be a "huge announcement," with some talk even that it would be the kind of fight that would significantly move the needle i read news >>