conor-mcgregor-3.jpg(This story appears in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

Say what you will about UFC featherweight Conor McGregor; just don’t say he lacks confidence.

In a single breath, the fast-talking fighter from Dublin will tell you he’s the best in the world, the most popular mixed martial artist to come out of the Emerald Isle, and he’s ready for the UFC 145-pound title whenever the company brass feels like saving time and putting it around his waist.

“I guess I have a little bit of an ego,” McGregor, 25, tells USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in a phone interview. “I’m confidently cocky, you might say. I just tell myself I’m the best that ever lived. No one can touch me.”

That’s a hypothesis that will be tested when McGregor (13-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) makes his North American debut in Boston on Saturday, taking on featherweight Max Holloway (7-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 26 (FOX Sports 1, 6 p.m. ET).

Although McGregor has had only one UFC fight — a first-round TKO win against Marcus Brimage in April — the hype around him is exerting its own gravitational pull. Even UFC President Dana White appears to have gotten caught up in it. A recent video McGregor posted shows his boss squiring him around the Las Vegas Strip in a topless Ferrari to celebrate his birthday in July.

It might seem like too much, too soon to some, but not to McGregor. He’ll tell you no one deserves this sort of treatment more than he does.

“Honestly, the hype and all that, to me it feels the same,” McGregor says. “I’ve always felt like there was a lot of hype around me even when there wasn’t. I felt like everyone was talking about me even when no one was talking about me. In my head, it was always like this.”

It probably helps that McGregor has the support of a nation. His Irish fans have long petitioned the UFC to sign the self-proclaimed “King of Dublin,” and now that he’s in the big leagues, his goal is to prove the faith of his supporters is well-founded.

“We’re a small nation, and we support our own who go out and have success, anybody who makes our nation proud,” McGregor says. “You could be playing ping-pong, but if you’re doing well, we get behind you.”

That’s part of why he so desperately wanted to be on this fight card, McGregor said. It might be a big event for the UFC primarily because it helps to kick off the newly created FOX Sports 1 network, but for McGregor it’s also a chance to fight in a place with strong ancestral ties. That’s why walking to the cage in the “long lost Irish city of Boston,” McGregor says, will feel like a homecoming.

“I’m expecting the biggest cheers there,” he added. “Twenty-thousand Irish Americans are going to tear the roof off for me, and I’m going to do them proud. I’m going to give them a show. It’s going to be a special night.”

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 26, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Conor McGregor’s Coach Hints at Irishman’s Return, Announcement Coming Soon

Conor McGregor's coach, John Kavanagh, on Tuesday hinted at the Irishman's comeback... no, not at UFC 200. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Sympathizes with Conor McGregor, ‘But It’s Part of the Job’

Daniel Cormier weighs in on media obligations and Conor McGregor being removed fro the UFC 200 fight card. "It's part of the job." read news >>

Brendan Schaub Ridicules Amir Khan for Conor McGregor MMA Boast

Former UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub slammed Amir Khan after the Englishman said he would "fancy [his] chances" of beating Conor McGregor if he switched to MMA. Schaub explained in his Fighter and t read news >>

LOL, Conor McGregor is Reportedly Close to Deal to Fight Floyd Mayweather

The internet thinks Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are going to punch each other for money. read news >>

UFC Rotterdam Video: Gunnar Nelson – Proud Icelandic Fighter

Gunnar Nelson is proud of the Icelandic roots that helped shape him into the fighter he is today. Nelson faces Albert Tumenov at UFC Fight Night 87 on Sunday. read news >>

UFC to Return to Germany, Announces Hamburg Event Set for September 3

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced today that it will host an event in Hamburg, Germany on Sept. 3. read news >>

Conor McGregor Posts Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight 'Poster' on Instagram

UFC star Conor McGregor has posted a mock-up fight poster on social media depicting himself and retired boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. face-to-face. There has been speculation swirling that the duo could read news >>

Conor McGregor Fans the Floyd Mayweather Rumor Flames, Reveals Fight Poster

Conor McGregor continues to fan the flames of a rumored boxing match between him and retired boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Confirms Conor McGregor Rumors… That He Started!

Floyd Mayweather confirms Conor McGregor rumors. Well, he confirmed that the rumors are indeed rumors, but keep your fingers crossed. read news >>

Joe Rogan Comments on Potential Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor Fight

UFC commentator Joe Rogan thinks Conor McGregor has what it takes to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. should the two fight in the future, although he concedes it’s unlikely the two will face off. Speculatio read news >>