chael-sonnen-31.jpg(This story appeared in today’s print edition of USA TODAY.)

NEW YORK – There might not be an appropriate word for just how much of an underdog Chael Sonnen is to Jon Jones on Saturday.

It’s big enough that UFC Dana White believes a win by Sonnen (27-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) over Jon Jones (17-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC), the UFC’s light heavyweight champion who’s widely considered the second best fighter in the world, would be the biggest upset in his company’s history.

Odds in Jones’ favor have exceeded 10-to-1, and even Sonnen acknowledges the almost otherworldly level Jones is at ahead of their UFC 159 main event at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. (10 p.m. ET, pay-per-view).

“I’ve watched very little of his tapes because every time you watch Jon, he’s kicking somebody’s [butt],” Sonnen told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com on Thursday. “It wasn’t doing a lot for me. I would have far more compliments than I would have insults about him. But I’ve got my skills too. I’ve been at this a long time.”

Sonnen has had one of the biggest career resurgences in MMA history, going from middle-of-the-pack middleweight to superstar. In large part, it has been thanks to an ability to draw interest in fights with his talk. At his longtime home at middleweight, through two unsuccessful title fights with champ Anderson Silva, he was a near-constant sound bite.

The knock on him fighting Jones has been he talked his way into it, given he hasn’t fought at 205 pounds in nine years. Lately, though, his talk has been highly complimentary toward Jones, unlike what he ever had to say about Silva. Sonnen said it’s not gamesmanship, and he’s not trying to sell a fight in which he’s a heavy underdog.

“I just answer the questions. I don’t manufacture conflict,” he said. “I would never try to sell a fight. I’m not going to disparage a guy and create a fake animosity to try to get $50. This is what it is. This is a superfight, the two baddest dudes in the world in a steel cage until one of us has had enough. If that interests you, it’s Saturday night – and it’s only on pay-per-view.”

But there he goes – selling a fight, apparently by not selling a fight, using a dichotomy that may be like no other in the sport.

White said interest in the headliner has to do with people wanting to see if Sonnen can do what no one else has been able to do, given Jones’ utter dominance throughout his career.

“The question becomes, ‘Can Chael Sonnen do something?’” White said. “Jon Jones is in the best shape I’ve ever seen him in. It shows me two things. One, he respects Chael Sonnen. And No. 2, if there’s anyone on Earth he doesn’t want to lose to, it’s Chael.”

And Sonnen believes he’s as ready as he’s ever been and that the one thing missing from his resume is a world title.

“You can’t retire without a world title. You can just quit,” he said. “I’ve never thought about quitting. I’ve never thought past this fight. … Everything’s on the line.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Albuquerque PD Seeks Jon Jones for Questioning… UFC Responds

UFC champion Jon Jones is being sought by Albuquerque, N.M., police for questioning about his possible role in a hit-and-run accident. read news >>

Jon Jones may face felony charges for alleged role in hit-and-run accident

Jon Jones could be facing felony charges. There is currently no arrest warrant for the UFC light heavyweight champion, but he is suspected to be the perpetrator in a hit-and-run accident Sunday morni read news >>

Jon Jones to appear in court today, lawyer provides first comments on felony hit-and-run charge

Jon Jones will be headed to court this afternoon. The UFC light heavyweight champion is due to appear before Judge Rosemary Dominguez at 1 p.m. local time at the Albuquerque Metro Court in New Mexico read news >>

Jon Jones has first court appearance today, attorney says he wants to 'get down to training'

Jon Jones will make his first appearance in Bernalillo county court today, and his attorney spoke to the media. Embattled UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will make his first court appearance read news >>

No plea entered by UFC champion Jon Jones in first court appearance

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones today made his first appearance in court since an alleged hit-and-run incident and did not enter a plea.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Chael Sonnen on Jon Jones: 'You either cut the guy completely or shut up'

Chael Sonnen doesn't agree with the UFC's decision of simply taking away Jon Jones' belt. He believes something more drastic should've been done or nothing at all. Most people think the decision to s read news >>

Watch The MMA Beat live today

On this week's episode of The MMA Beat, the panel will discuss all things Jon Jones: from his arrest, to getting stripped of the belt, to losing sponsors. Where does Jones go from here and what to ma read news >>

Jon Jones Warned by Dana White over Future as Chael Sonnen Queries UFC Sanction

UFC President Dana White has admitted Jon Jones has "got some work to do" after being suspended by the organisation for his part in an alleged hit-and-run accident that left a pregnant woman with a b read news >>

Chael Sonnen 'confused' by UFC punishment of Jon Jones: 'If you part ways with a guy, cut him completely'

"I'm a little bit confused by it. You have to do something, you have to take some kind of action, I support that. But I don't fully know what it means to strip a guy of his belt. What do you do with read news >>