chael-sonnen-31.jpg(This story appeared in today’s print edition of USA TODAY.)

NEW YORK – There might not be an appropriate word for just how much of an underdog Chael Sonnen is to Jon Jones on Saturday.

It’s big enough that UFC Dana White believes a win by Sonnen (27-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) over Jon Jones (17-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC), the UFC’s light heavyweight champion who’s widely considered the second best fighter in the world, would be the biggest upset in his company’s history.

Odds in Jones’ favor have exceeded 10-to-1, and even Sonnen acknowledges the almost otherworldly level Jones is at ahead of their UFC 159 main event at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. (10 p.m. ET, pay-per-view).

“I’ve watched very little of his tapes because every time you watch Jon, he’s kicking somebody’s [butt],” Sonnen told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com on Thursday. “It wasn’t doing a lot for me. I would have far more compliments than I would have insults about him. But I’ve got my skills too. I’ve been at this a long time.”

Sonnen has had one of the biggest career resurgences in MMA history, going from middle-of-the-pack middleweight to superstar. In large part, it has been thanks to an ability to draw interest in fights with his talk. At his longtime home at middleweight, through two unsuccessful title fights with champ Anderson Silva, he was a near-constant sound bite.

The knock on him fighting Jones has been he talked his way into it, given he hasn’t fought at 205 pounds in nine years. Lately, though, his talk has been highly complimentary toward Jones, unlike what he ever had to say about Silva. Sonnen said it’s not gamesmanship, and he’s not trying to sell a fight in which he’s a heavy underdog.

“I just answer the questions. I don’t manufacture conflict,” he said. “I would never try to sell a fight. I’m not going to disparage a guy and create a fake animosity to try to get $50. This is what it is. This is a superfight, the two baddest dudes in the world in a steel cage until one of us has had enough. If that interests you, it’s Saturday night – and it’s only on pay-per-view.”

But there he goes – selling a fight, apparently by not selling a fight, using a dichotomy that may be like no other in the sport.

White said interest in the headliner has to do with people wanting to see if Sonnen can do what no one else has been able to do, given Jones’ utter dominance throughout his career.

“The question becomes, ‘Can Chael Sonnen do something?’” White said. “Jon Jones is in the best shape I’ve ever seen him in. It shows me two things. One, he respects Chael Sonnen. And No. 2, if there’s anyone on Earth he doesn’t want to lose to, it’s Chael.”

And Sonnen believes he’s as ready as he’s ever been and that the one thing missing from his resume is a world title.

“You can’t retire without a world title. You can just quit,” he said. “I’ve never thought about quitting. I’ve never thought past this fight. … Everything’s on the line.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jon Jones gets 1-year suspension from USADA for doping violation stemming from UFC 200

A three-member arbitration panel today upheld a standard one-year suspension for Jon Jones’ UFC 200 drug test failure, rendering the UFC interim light heavyweight champ unable to fight until July 7, read news >>

Mousasi: "If I Fought Whittaker I Would Be a Huge Favorite" | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Per Haljestam-USA TODAY Sports Gegard Mousasi maintained that the only reason he accepted his UFC Belfast main event with Uriah Hall was to avenge the loss he suffered to the Jamaican in Sep read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 96

The biggest prize in MMA today is a fight with Conor McGregor. Fans and fighters may not like it, but it's an indisputable fact at this point. Whether it's Chad Mendes, Jose Aldo or Nate Diaz, facing read news >>

UFC Mexico City: Quick Results | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Etzel Espinosa-USA TODAY Sports? Ferguson Sees Off Dos Anjos Tony Ferguson extended his unbeaten run to nine with a victory over his toughest opponent to date, Rafael Dos Anjos. The contest read news >>

Jon Jones Suspended 1 Year by USADA for Positive Drug Test

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) officially suspended Jon Jones for one year Monday after he tested positive for two banned substances prior to his UFC 200 clash with Daniel Cormier in July, accor read news >>

With Conor McGregor on Hiatus, the Dust Is Settling in the Featherweight and Lightweight Divisions | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Per Haljestam-USA TODAY Sports Last December, in the main event of UFC 194, Ireland’s Conor McGregor knocked out Jose Aldo in just 13 seconds to claim the UFC featherweight title. A little l read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Nov. 29: Robert Whittaker soars up the middlewieght rankings

UFC Fight Night 101 was not loaded with ranked fighters, but the main event middleweight showdown led to a big shift in the rankings.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Is Football Less Moral Than MMA? | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports I used to work in an office, the kind with a dress code, and much as I tried to keep quiet, I was "the weird guy who watches UFC stuff." Eventually, I found ways read news >>

Bellator 166 weigh-in results and live stream (3:30 p.m. ET)

The weigh-ins for Friday’s Bellator 166 event take place today, and you can watch a live stream on MMAjunkie at 3:30 p.m. ET (12:30 p.m. PT, 2:30 p.m. CT local time). Filed under: Bellator, News, Vid read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Previously Partying Before Fights

Jon Jones is one of the most talented MMA fighters in history, but his actions outside the Octagon have held him back. He discussed some of his past actions Thursday on The Joe Rogan Experience (h/t read news >>