UFC's Wanderlei Silva says Sonnen bout 'really interesting,' teases announcement

• submit to reddit

wanderlei-silva-20.jpgAlthough Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) might now have moved on to different targets, former PRIDE champ Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC) remains interested in a fight with the three-time UFC title challenger.

Silva called a fight with Sonnen “a really interesting fight” and teased an announcement about his future on Friday during an in-studio appearance with MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

“I think he’s a good opponent,” said “The Axe Murderer,” who knocked out Brian Stann in his most recent appearance. “More than that, I think we can give a great show to the fans. He thinks he’s going to take me down; everybody knows his game. But I want to see what he does after I defend the first takedown. He’s going to be toe-to-toe with me.”

As always, Sonnen was first out of the gate with verbal fireworks when the potential fight first surfaced, using his platform as a FUEL TV fight analyst to call out Silva. He said Silva had pulled “a dirtbag move” for publishing an old video of Silva giving him pointed criticism about his promotional tactics during a van ride to an event.

“I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all,” Sonnen said.

Sonnen then issued a 24-hour deadline on Twitter for Silva to respond to his challenge. The window passed without confirmation of the fight.

This past week, Silva went on FUEL TV to say he hadn’t been told about the fight by the UFC, but would gladly accept it – in one of the more bizarre responses in recent history.

“I want to suck his blood,” Silva said. “I want to smell it. Not just fight—I want to hurt him. Chael is a joke, man. He’s going to be second forever. He’s never going to be first.”

As always, Sonnen had a response on hand.

“I think the real breaking news there is that Wanderlei put together a coherent sentence that somebody understood,” Sonnen said.  “But I can assure you, Wanderlei, I will not be signing a contract for you to suck on any part of me. I suggest you go to a bath and find yourself.”

Sonnen this past month came up short in his third attempt at winning a UFC belt, suffering a first-round TKO loss to current light-heavyweight kingpin Jon Jones at UFC 159. Silva’s knockout of Stann came this past March at UFC on FUEL TV 8.

While most MMA observers believe the buildup to a Sonnen vs. Silva fight would offer more fireworks than the action inside the cage, it’s agreed the matchup would attract a great deal of attention.

Ultimately, that may be all that results from the media sparring session between the two veterans, but Silva’s announcement hints at a concrete answer down the line.

“I can’t tell,” he said when asked whether the announcement was fight-related, adding it would come “soon.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Wanderlei Silva is convinced that Chael Sonnen will return to the octagon once he finishes his suspension. Although it would appear that Chael Sonnen's professional career as a Mixed Martial Artist is complete, Wanderlei Silva is still convinced that his longtime nemesis will still weasel his way back to the octagon once he competes his suspension. "I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Wand told Submiss read news >>

With his fighting status in limbo, Wanderlei Silva remains hopeful he'll get a chance to settle up with Chael Sonnen in the Octagon. "I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back," Silva told Submission Radio. "I hope this fight is gonna happen." "I think him and [Vitor] Belfort are just the two good fights that have a reason to happen for me." The pair were slated to fight Jul. 5 at UFC 175 before they each ran afoul of the Nevada State Athleti read news >>

The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) has yet to announce a punishment for Wanderlei Silva for refusing to do a random drug test and later admitting the use of diuretics, but the former PRIDE champion is confident he won’t face any hurdles once he decides to get back in the Octagon. Silva, who hasn’t fought since March of 2013, said in an interview to Tatame in Brazil that he’s "totally clean and cleared to fight as soon as possible." "Life is great. I’m training well," Silva said. "I did a test read news >>

Luke Barnatt, friend of Chael Sonnen, wants to fight against Wanderlei Silva, who doesn't know his challenger but accepts the bout anyway. One of Chael Sonnen's pupils on The Ultimate Fighter season 17, Luke Barnatt, wants to settle matters with one of his coach's enemies, Wanderlei Silva. The Englishman's challenge was already accepted, as "The Axe Murderer" told Combate.com that he is up for the fight, aeven though he doesn't know who his opponent is. He also mentioned that bouts against Vitor read news >>

Former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva had his grudge match with Chael Sonnen scheduled for earlier this month postponed after "The Axe Murderer" ran into some trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but he still thinks the bout will happen. The Brazilian slugger allegedly refused to take a random drug test administered by the commission, on top of not applying for his fighter's license on time, so he was removed from UFC 175 in late May, per MMA Fighting. While Sonnen was quick to pok read news >>

• a day ago

Where you at, Ralek? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight Wanderlei Silva, who coached alongside bitter rival Chael Sonnen on season three of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Brazil," still wants to settle their score after years of public quarreling. It could be awhile. Sonnen -- who insists he's retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) -- is currently serving a two-year suspension handed down by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) for a pair of failed drug tests. In addition, Si read news >>

The MMA legend says "everything was cleared" following his appearance before the Nevada State Athletic Commission about an incident in which he fled from a random drug test. Before Chael Sonnen had to pull out of UFC 175, his initial opponent Wanderlei Silva was pulled from the card for fleeing from a NSAC surprise drug test. UFC president Dana White told the media he expected Silva to be "in big trouble" with the commission. Silva has since attended a hearing before the commission and he told B read news >>

UFC President Dana White set the MMA world on fire when he defended the decision of the UFC and Fox Sports to terminate Chael Sonnen's broadcasting contract, but if he plays his cards right, "The American Gangster" could be back. In an interview with MMA Fight Corner's Heidi Fang (at the 5:58 mark), White explained that while the chips are down for Sonnen right now, he could feasibly return to working for the promotion (transcription per Mixedmartialarts.com): "It breaks my heart," [White] said. read news >>

Glancing at the language regarding Chael Sonnen's 'termination' with UFC and FOX Sports, you had to know the door hadn't been completely slammed on the charismatic fighter turned commentator. Unlike his hard-line stance on castoffs Paul Daley and Jason High, UFC president Dana White doesn't sound like he's completely out of the Chael Sonnen business. "It breaks my heart," said White of the decision to cut ties with Sonnen. "I care about Chael very much. Me and Chael have had a very good relation read news >>