wanderlei-silva-20.jpgAlthough Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) might now have moved on to different targets, former PRIDE champ Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC) remains interested in a fight with the three-time UFC title challenger.

Silva called a fight with Sonnen “a really interesting fight” and teased an announcement about his future on Friday during an in-studio appearance with MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

“I think he’s a good opponent,” said “The Axe Murderer,” who knocked out Brian Stann in his most recent appearance. “More than that, I think we can give a great show to the fans. He thinks he’s going to take me down; everybody knows his game. But I want to see what he does after I defend the first takedown. He’s going to be toe-to-toe with me.”

As always, Sonnen was first out of the gate with verbal fireworks when the potential fight first surfaced, using his platform as a FUEL TV fight analyst to call out Silva. He said Silva had pulled “a dirtbag move” for publishing an old video of Silva giving him pointed criticism about his promotional tactics during a van ride to an event.

“I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all,” Sonnen said.

Sonnen then issued a 24-hour deadline on Twitter for Silva to respond to his challenge. The window passed without confirmation of the fight.

This past week, Silva went on FUEL TV to say he hadn’t been told about the fight by the UFC, but would gladly accept it – in one of the more bizarre responses in recent history.

“I want to suck his blood,” Silva said. “I want to smell it. Not just fight—I want to hurt him. Chael is a joke, man. He’s going to be second forever. He’s never going to be first.”

As always, Sonnen had a response on hand.

“I think the real breaking news there is that Wanderlei put together a coherent sentence that somebody understood,” Sonnen said.  “But I can assure you, Wanderlei, I will not be signing a contract for you to suck on any part of me. I suggest you go to a bath and find yourself.”

Sonnen this past month came up short in his third attempt at winning a UFC belt, suffering a first-round TKO loss to current light-heavyweight kingpin Jon Jones at UFC 159. Silva’s knockout of Stann came this past March at UFC on FUEL TV 8.

While most MMA observers believe the buildup to a Sonnen vs. Silva fight would offer more fireworks than the action inside the cage, it’s agreed the matchup would attract a great deal of attention.

Ultimately, that may be all that results from the media sparring session between the two veterans, but Silva’s announcement hints at a concrete answer down the line.

“I can’t tell,” he said when asked whether the announcement was fight-related, adding it would come “soon.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Eddie Alvarez Spoils Conor McGregor's Big Surprise Announcement! | MMAWeekly.com

Eddie Alvarez spoiled what Conor McGregor's supposed UFC 205 post-fight surprise announcement would be. read news >>

Conor McGregor's Big Announcement? 'I Want UFC Ownership Now' | MMAWeekly.com

Now a two-division champion and the driving force between numerous record-setting events, Conor McGregor wants a piece of the UFC ownership pie. read news >>

After UFC 205 win – and baby announcement – Conor McGregor says he deserves piece of UFC ownership

NEW YORK – After accomplishing his dream of becoming the first simultaneous two-weight world champion under the UFC banner, Conor McGregor is setting his sights higher than ever.Filed under: News, UF read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Chael Sonnen and UFC 205 recap

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Chael Sonnen and a recap of the weekend’s big UFC 205 event.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2326 with Chael Sonnen

Stream or download Monday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with Chael Sonnen.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio read news >>

The Evidence For (and Against) a McGregor – Mayweather Fight | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports It’s been a long and interesting year for UFC superstar Conor McGregor. Though he bested the seemingly invincible José Aldo late last year, he technically read news >>

The Evidence For (and Against) a McGregor – Mayweather Fight | FIGHTLAND

Chael Sonnen claims Mackenzie Dern ducked Miesha Tate, manager responds

Chael Sonnen on Monday said the meeting between former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Miesha Tate and Jessica Eye was not the originally planned matchup for next month’s Submission Underground 2.File read news >>

'If I can't get the gold, I won't fight,' says emotional Manny Gamburyan after retirement announcement

SAO PAULO – After a surprising retirement announcement following a TKO loss at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 100, UFC and WEC vet Manny Gamburyan doesn’t believe his body can take him to the top anymore read news >>

Catch a First Look at Chael Sonnen on 'The Celebrity Apprentice' | MMAWeekly.com

Catch Chael Sonnen in this clip for all of .78 if a second. read news >>