UFC's Wanderlei Silva promises 'butt face' Chael Sonnen a fight


Wanderlei Silva has an answer to news that he won’t fight Chael Sonnen, but it may lack the one fans seek.

One day after UFC President Dana White told MMAFighting.com that Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC) wouldn’t face Sonnen (29-13-1 MMA, 7-6 UFC) unless he received pay-per-view profits from their fight – and that his retirement was imminent – the Brazilian fighter responded through a YouTube video.

Cut straight from a pro-wrestling promo, the clip is backed by an 80s heavy metal soundtrack and flips between color and black-and-white in shadowed lighting.

For nearly five minutes, Silva blasts Sonnen, calling him a “coward,” a “lower level fighter,” and a “butt face.”

“I’m only waiting for the date and the location,” said the former PRIDE champ of a potential Sonnen fight. “Because people want this fight and I want this fight.”

Earlier this week, it appeared he would get his wish. White told “FOX Sports Live” that Sonnen, who this past Saturday submitted former Silva teammate Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in the headliner of UFC Fight Night 26, asked to fight Silva at UFC 167. White said he would try to book the matchup.

We can do that fight,” he said. “The question, I think, is Wanderlei Silva is out until the beginning of the year. I’m not sure if he’s healthy. But if he’s healthy, I will definitely make that fight, and I will definitely make it the co-main event.”

Then, on Thursday, everything changed.

In the video, Silva never addresses White’s assertion that he turned the fight down. Instead, he rails at Sonnen.

“I’ve already shut you up, face to face, and you were not man enough to step up to me,” Silva said. “Sonnen, you are afraid of me, and I can see it in your eyes every time we meet.”

Silva declined multiple interview requests from MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) over the past week.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 17 days ago
  • 100 views

Chael Sonnen's retirement from MMA hasn't exactly been silent. After the former UFC light heavyweight was suspended for two years by the Nevada Athletic Commission in July for testing positive for mu read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 85 views

Wanderlei Silva will never fight again. More than a year after his last fight inside the Octagon, and still involved a controversy with the Nevada Athletic Commission, the former PRIDE champion has a read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 6 views

After 49 professional fights, Wanderlei Silva has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 3 views

An extremely emotional Wanderlei Silva on Friday announced his retirement from fighting, blaming his loss of desire on the way the UFC has treated him and other fighters. read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 98 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 3 views

On last week's edition of The MMA Beat, the panelists discussed a variety of interesting topics, including Eddie Alvarez singing with the UFC, his match-up against Donald Cerrone, Wanderlei Silva's f read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 3 views

Many of the most timeless submissions in the history of MMA unfolded unexpectedly. Anderson Silva's fifth-round triangle armbar of Chael Sonnen was a classic stunner simply because it spoiled a seemi read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 19 views

UFC heavyweight title challenger Fabricio Werdum isn’t convinced Wanderlei Silva’s trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission will tarnish his career.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 9 views

UFC president Dana White says Wanderlei Silva would have been better off testing positive to a banned substance than running from the random drug test. read news >>