tom-watson-5.jpgSTOCKHOLM – Riding high from the biggest win of his career, British middleweight slugger Tom Watson (16-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is aiming even higher. A full month after calling out MMA legend Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC), Watson remans adamant he would knock out the Brazilian if given the chance.

And while he’s come under fire from some fans who believe he’s being a bit disrespectful, Watson said he has no regrets.

“From my point of view, I go online and I say, ‘Wanderlei, you’re a legend. Please can I fight you?’ Nobody cares,” Watson said. “If I go in there and say, ‘Wanderlei, listen. Come to fight, and I’ll knock you out’ – which I will do, you know that – then maybe we’ll fight.”

Watson’s remarks came during Friday’s UFC Fight Club Q&A session, which preceded the official UFC on FUEL TV 9 weigh-ins at Stockholm’s Ericsson Globe Arena.

Watson most recently fought at February’s UFC on FUEL TV 8 event in England, where he scored the evening’s “Knockout of the Night” and “Fight of the Night” bonuses in a thrilling second-round stoppage of Stanislav Nedkov. Shortly after, he took to Twitter to ask UFC officials for his next opponent, and he named “The Axe Murderer” as his top target.

“Yo @wandfc, stay on your supplements at 205, or come back to 185 and get knocked the f— out,” Watson wrote. “You decide? Obrigado @ufc & @danawhite.”

Silva then appeared on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), where he said he wasn’t offended by Watson’s remarks and request.

“More guys talking about me is good,” Silva said. “Talking good or talking bad, but talking about me is good.”

But Silva’s fans weren’t quite as forgiving and immediately attacked Watson, who’s just two fights into his UFC career, for calling out an MMA legend.

Watson said he didn’t mean for anyone to take offense at his idea.

“Everybody got carried away with it, all of Wanderlei’s fans,” Watson said. “I have nothing against Wanderlei. Many of his fans have told me online that it’s disgraceful I called out a legend. But here’s what it is: Wanderlei Silva’s last fight, he fought Brian Stann. I’m very good friends with Brian Stann. I’ve lived in his house. I know his family very well, and (when) I watch a fight and see my friend get knocked out, my reaction is, ‘I want to get this guy myself.’”

Whether or not the UFC will ultimately agree with Watson remains to be seen. Nursing a few nagging injuries, Watson said June or July seems a logical date for his next booking. Meanwhile, Silva’s past two fights have been contested at limits heavier than 185 pounds, and the 36-year-old has expressed some concern about cutting weight at this stage of his career.

With that in mind, Watson said he’s not exactly optimistic. Still, he thinks it’s a matchup that absolutely should happen.

“Listen, I don’t see it happening,” Watson said. “Look, Wanderlei is at 205 pounds. He’s got bigger names. But I just think for the fans, that would be a great fight.

“I want someone who’s going to stand up and throw down, and who does that more than Wanderlei? Not many guys.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC Fight Night 73 results: Chris Camozzi takes unanimous decision over Tom Watson

NASHVILLE – Riding a sharp jab and a series of easy takedowns, Chris Camozzi outpointed Tom Watson in a grinding three-round battle.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Photo: UFC middleweight title challenger Luke Rockhold hanging out with Taylor Swift

Luke Rockhold has the biggest fight of his career coming up in December. But December is a long ways away, and that leaves plenty of opportunities in the meantime for fun stuff, for non-fight stuff … read news >>

Dana White says UFC 190's pay-per-view buys trending ahead of UFC 189

Dana White last night said that UFC 190 is trending ahead of its biggest show this year, UFC 189 from three weeks ago. Early evidence of public interest shows that he may have understated that. After read news >>

UFC 190: Did Dana White Just Announce Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Retirement?

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has had an illustrious MMA career. It's not exactly breaking news, however, that that career has been in decline for several years now. Though Big Nog, 39, has long resisted read news >>

Trainer: Ronda Rousey will damage Miesha Tate's career in trilogy fight, 'Cupcake' guarantees victory

And Edmond Tarverdyan is going to see to it that "Rowdy" puts on a memorable beating on "Cupcake" this time around. Miesha Tate earned herself a third title fight against Ultimate Fighting Championsh read news >>

UFC 190: Results and Reactions from Biggest Fights on Rousey vs. Correia Card

Ronda Rousey retained her bantamweight championship and improved her record to 12-0 Saturday night at UFC 190 in what's become typical Rousey-fight fashion: unsparing, unrelenting and under a minute. read news >>

UFC 190 results: Biggest winners, losers from 'Rousey vs Correia' in Brazil

Let's run down the list of "Who’s Hot" and "Who’s Not" from UFC 190: "Rousey vs Correia," which took place last night (Sat., Aug. 1st, 2015), nominating the biggest winners and losers from the pay-pe read news >>

UFC 190 results: Antonio Silva scores crushing TKO over Soa Palelei

Antonio Silva's career peak might be passed, but "Bigfoot's" power remains intact. Silva unleashed his fury on Soa Palelei in a heavyweight bout on Saturday night at UFC 190 overpowering him with vic read news >>

At least Leandro Issa isn't UFC 190's biggest underdog

Leandro Issa is underdog tonight at UFC 190, but, of course, he’s not the biggest one.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Forever the underdog, Fabricio Werdum says Bethe Correia can upset Ronda Rousey

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Bethe Correia would score one of the biggest upsets in UFC history with a win over Ronda Rousey at UFC 190 in Brazil, and an expert on shocking the world gives her advice ahead of t read news >>