UFC's Stefan Struve wants Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira next


stefan-struve-11.jpgUFC heavyweight contender Stefan Struve has an opponent in mind for his next bout, and the young buck is hoping to take out one of the most accomplished veterans in his weight class.

Struve (25-6 MMA, 9-4 UFC) wants a fight with former PRIDE champion and ex-UFC titleholder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (34-8-1 MMA, 5-4 UFC).

As he wrote on Twitter: “Bigger they are, harder they fall huh @Minotauromma , lets back those words up and sign the contract, I’m waiting for you.”

Struve first discussed the idea with Bleacher Report‘s Damon Martin earlier this week. He said the matchup makes sense “since we’re both coming off a loss.”

Struve is ranked No. 11 and Nogueira is No. 14 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA heavyweight rankings.

Struve most recently suffered a broken jaw in a loss to Mark Hunt at UFC on FUEL TV 8. That defeat snapped the 7-footer’s four-fight win streak that him nearing title contention.

The Dutchman could add a signature win to his resume with a victory over Nogueira, who recently suffered a submission loss to Fabricio Werdum at UFC on FUEL TV 10 following their head-coaching gigs on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 2.” Nogueira suffered a ligament damage in his arm and underwent surgery. He’s expected to be out of action until later this year, though Struve is willing to wait for him.

Struve, 25, grew up watching PRIDE events that prominently featured the 37-year-old Nogueira, who hasn’t won back-to-back fights in more than three years. However, nearly all of the Brazilian’s recent fights came against top-level competition.

For the latest on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Stefan Struve)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 4 views

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira’s mixed martial arts career is coming to an end. The former PRIDE and UFC heavyweight champion, who built a 34-9-1 (1 no-contest) record since his MMA debut in 1999, announce read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 1 views

Former UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira revealed that he plans on retiring by the end of 2015 when he completes his UFC contract. Antonio ‘Minotauro' Nogueira is not prep read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 381 views

In Dana White's first video blog for UFC 177, Matt Mitrione comforts a distraught Stefan Struve after the heavyweight passed out in the locker room, Uriah Hall deals with the agonizing aftermath of h read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 0 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

A heavyweight bout between Richard Odoms and Ruslan Magomedov set for the main card of UFC 177 is no longer. read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 0 views

A heavyweight bout between Richard Odoms and Ruslan Magomedov has been scratched from the UFC 177 main card slated for Aug. 30 in Sacramento, Calif. read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 22 views

The UFC top Light Heavyweight contender says that he will wait for his shot at Jon Jones' title and that fellow LHW contender Anthony "Rumble" Johnson needs a few more wins before he's ready. Swedish read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 466 views

UFC light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson has some harsh words about his former teammate in Alistair Overeem. Things between former teammates in Anthony Johnson and Alistair Overeem are startin read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 134 views

UFC light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson has heard Anthony Johnson’s request to fight, and for now, the answer is no. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>