Fresh off a disappointing outing against Melvin Guillard, Michael Johnson is aiming at a previous target: Nate Diaz.

“I’m not saying he’s scared, but he’s acting like he’s scared,” Johnson today told MMAjunkie Radio. “I don’t know if he’s seen or heard anything about me wanting to fight him, but where you at, Nate?

“We need to get this going.”

Johnson, who against Guillard earned his third straight win, isn’t ready to get it going just yet, mind you. After all, it’s merely been nine days since he took home a unanimous decision over “The Young Assassin” in a grudge match that failed to deliver fireworks.

A summer return, though, sounds right to the 27-year-old vet (15-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC). Rather than fight an opponent of equal position in the 155-pound class, he’s again targeting Diaz (17-9 MMA, 12-7 UFC), whom he previously called out on Twitter.

“I think he has a fight style that can’t compete with mine,” said Johnson. “I think my fighting style is better than his. He’s one of the guys that I want. If I beat him, it opens up a lot of doors for me, as opposed to sitting back and waiting or fighting guys that are the same rank. I want to fight the top guys in the division.”

Johnson first stumped for the Diaz fight after knocking out Gleison Tibau at UFC 168, but instead was called as a short-notice injury replacement for the injured Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night 37.

“It feels really good to bounce back from those two losses in a row and to beat three guys,” he said. “That just shows me and its proof that all the hard work that I’m putting in is really starting to pay off now. We’re looking at bigger and better things, like old Nate Diaz if he ever steps up to the plate.”

Diaz remains unbooked after turning down a fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 170 when the promotion declined a request to renegotiate his contract. The fighter then made headlines by hinting he’d like to be released from his contract, a request which UFC President Dana White declined to offer.

While Johnson said both he and Diaz like to stand and trade punches, he isn’t at all worried about grappling with Diaz on the mat, where the brash young fighter has earned several submission wins.

“He’s not taking me down,” Johnson said. “His wrestling isn’t sharp enough to take me down. The only way we get on the ground is when I drop him and I jump on to finish him and I don’t. That’s the only way.”

And if Johnson gets the fight, he’d like it to be on the biggest stage possible.

“I would love to be the co-main event on a pay-per-view,” Johnson said. “Me and Nate Diaz doing that, that would be a good one.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to http://www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Tony Ferguson Scores Record-Setting Win Over Rafael dos Anjos (UFC Mexico City Results) | MMAWeekly.com

In case his previous record wasn't enough, Tony Ferguson proved that he is truly deserving of a title shot after getting the better of Rafael dos Anjos. read news >>

Go ahead, Michael Johnson says: Overlook him one more time at UFC 205 vs. Nurmagomedov

NEW YORK – This whole getting overlooked thing is becoming old hat for Michael Johnson. But if you’re sleeping on him Saturday night at UFC 205, he’s got other plans for you.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Knockout Radio LIVE: Liz Carmouche, Michael Johnson, Tim Boetsch, and Marcus Davis | MMAWeekly.com

Tune in Wednesday, Nov. 9, at 6 pm ET, for Knockout Radio LIVE! with special guests Liz Carmouche, Michael Johnson, Tim Boetsch, and Marcus Davis. read news >>

UFC 205's Khabib Nurmagomedov: After I beat Michael Johnson, I deserve a title shot

NEW YORK – When undefeated UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov told his promoter he wanted to fight at UFC 205, the answer was, sure, no problem. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gilbert Melendez thinks Nate Diaz will fight UFC 205's McGregor vs. Alvarez winner

Gilbert Melendez echoes his colleagues who aren’t that upset Conor McGregor is getting a shot at Eddie Alvarez’s lightweight title.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

One to Watch: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael Johnson | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC ?It's finally here. Saturday night sees the UFC hold its first ever event in New York City, at Madison Square Garden no less, and is celebrating in the most appropri read news >>

UFC 205 results: Khabib Nurmagomedov taps out Michael Johnson, calls for title shot

NEW YORK – For a brief moment, it looked as though Michael Johnson had found a weakness to exploit in the undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov, stinging him with a high-pace striking attack.Filed under: Ne read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Decimates Michael Johnson (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Second-ranked lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov extended his unbeaten streak to 24 fights on Saturday when he decimated sixth-ranked Michael Johnson at UFC 205. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Subs Michael Johnson (UFC 205 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Khabib Nurmagomedov's submission finish of Michael Johnson in this UFC 205 Fight Highlights video. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Michael Johnson Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Khabib Nurmagomedov had everything on the line at Saturday's UFC 205. Dominance and bad luck have defined the Russian grappler's career. Catastrophic injuries have consistently weighed down big wins, read news >>