UFC's Michael Johnson: Nate Diaz, where you at?


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Fresh off a disappointing outing against Melvin Guillard, Michael Johnson is aiming at a previous target: Nate Diaz.

“I’m not saying he’s scared, but he’s acting like he’s scared,” Johnson today told MMAjunkie Radio. “I don’t know if he’s seen or heard anything about me wanting to fight him, but where you at, Nate?

“We need to get this going.”

Johnson, who against Guillard earned his third straight win, isn’t ready to get it going just yet, mind you. After all, it’s merely been nine days since he took home a unanimous decision over “The Young Assassin” in a grudge match that failed to deliver fireworks.

A summer return, though, sounds right to the 27-year-old vet (15-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC). Rather than fight an opponent of equal position in the 155-pound class, he’s again targeting Diaz (17-9 MMA, 12-7 UFC), whom he previously called out on Twitter.

“I think he has a fight style that can’t compete with mine,” said Johnson. “I think my fighting style is better than his. He’s one of the guys that I want. If I beat him, it opens up a lot of doors for me, as opposed to sitting back and waiting or fighting guys that are the same rank. I want to fight the top guys in the division.”

Johnson first stumped for the Diaz fight after knocking out Gleison Tibau at UFC 168, but instead was called as a short-notice injury replacement for the injured Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night 37.

“It feels really good to bounce back from those two losses in a row and to beat three guys,” he said. “That just shows me and its proof that all the hard work that I’m putting in is really starting to pay off now. We’re looking at bigger and better things, like old Nate Diaz if he ever steps up to the plate.”

Diaz remains unbooked after turning down a fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 170 when the promotion declined a request to renegotiate his contract. The fighter then made headlines by hinting he’d like to be released from his contract, a request which UFC President Dana White declined to offer.

While Johnson said both he and Diaz like to stand and trade punches, he isn’t at all worried about grappling with Diaz on the mat, where the brash young fighter has earned several submission wins.

“He’s not taking me down,” Johnson said. “His wrestling isn’t sharp enough to take me down. The only way we get on the ground is when I drop him and I jump on to finish him and I don’t. That’s the only way.”

And if Johnson gets the fight, he’d like it to be on the biggest stage possible.

“I would love to be the co-main event on a pay-per-view,” Johnson said. “Me and Nate Diaz doing that, that would be a good one.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to http://www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 29 days ago
  • 76 views

Nick and Nate Diaz appear willing to continue their battle with the UFC over fighter pay as long as it takes after both used social media to make their continued complaints clear.
Nick Diaz and brother Nate Diaz are in a very unique situation in the modern mixed martial arts world. Where the UFC has failed in creating compelling, high drawing stars, the Diaz brothers--Nick especially--remain "mainstream attractions." This may be in large part due to antics that some find tasteless or objectionab more

  • 27 days ago
  • 60 views

That rumored Myles Jury vs. Nate Diaz fight won't be going down. But the undefeated lightweight will still tangle with a fighter known for throwing down.
The 12-0 Jury will meet former PRIDE lightweight champion Takanori Gomi on the Sept. 20 UFC Fight Night card in Saitama, Japan. FOXSports.com initially reported the news of the bout on Wednesday night.
The San Diego-based Jury is 14-0, with his last five victories coming in the UFC. He has 11 wins via finish, and his last victory was a one-side more

  • 25 days ago
  • 25 views

After his release from the UFC, Melvin Guillard sees his role in the upstart WSOF very clearly.Filed under: Featured Videos, MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio Highlight, Videos, WSOF more

  • 19 days ago
  • 59 views

A highly anticipated lightweight contest has been scrapped, as Michael Johnson has been forced to withdraw from a planned UFC on FOX 12 bout with Josh Thomson.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 19 days ago
  • 76 views

"The Punk" gets punked ... yet again.
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight number one contender, Josh Thomson, will no longer throw hands opposite Michael Johnson at the upcoming UFC on FOX 12 event, scheduled for the SAP Center in San Jose, California, on July 26, 2014.
That's because "The Menace" has been injured, according to MMA Junkie, and forced to withdraw from the event.
To complicate matters, the promotion has roughly two weeks to find a replacement against a fighter more

  • 19 days ago
  • 59 views

The anticipated lightweight match-up between Josh Thomson and Michael Johnson has been discarded after Johnson withdrew with an injury. One of the most exciting contests on the UFC on FOX 12 fight card will no longer be taking place, as Michael Johnson withdrew from his feature fight against Josh Thomson with an undisclosed injury.
MMAJunkie.com was the first to report the news.
The UFC is still looking for a potential opponent for Thomson, who is coming off a controversial decision loss to form more

  • 19 days ago
  • 31 views

Lightweight bouts between Bobby Green and Abel Trujillo, as well asMichael Johnson and Josh Thomson are no more. more

  • 19 days ago
  • 20 views

UFC lightweight Michael Johnson (15-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC) has pulled out of his fight with Josh Thomson (20-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at UFC on Fox 12 with an injury. MMAJunkie.com reported the news on Friday. Update: UFC.com has reported that Bobby Green will be stepping up on short-notice to face Thomson. Green was originally slated to face Abel Trujillo, in a fight that was moved from UFC 176 to UFC Fight Night 47 in Bangor, Maine.
The card, which is headlined by a welterweight showdown between top contender more

  • 19 days ago
  • 51 views

Green is forced to abandon Abel Trujillo at UFC Fight Night 47 in Maine; however, the promotion is expected to find a new opponent for "Killa" in the next few days.
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight number one contender, Josh Thomson, is still competing this month, thanks to a last-minute save from Bobby Green for the upcoming UFC on FOX 12 event, scheduled for the SAP Center in San Jose, California, on July 26, 2014.
FOX Sports brought word of the 155-pound pairing earlier more