Fresh off a disappointing outing against Melvin Guillard, Michael Johnson is aiming at a previous target: Nate Diaz.

“I’m not saying he’s scared, but he’s acting like he’s scared,” Johnson today told MMAjunkie Radio. “I don’t know if he’s seen or heard anything about me wanting to fight him, but where you at, Nate?

“We need to get this going.”

Johnson, who against Guillard earned his third straight win, isn’t ready to get it going just yet, mind you. After all, it’s merely been nine days since he took home a unanimous decision over “The Young Assassin” in a grudge match that failed to deliver fireworks.

A summer return, though, sounds right to the 27-year-old vet (15-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC). Rather than fight an opponent of equal position in the 155-pound class, he’s again targeting Diaz (17-9 MMA, 12-7 UFC), whom he previously called out on Twitter.

“I think he has a fight style that can’t compete with mine,” said Johnson. “I think my fighting style is better than his. He’s one of the guys that I want. If I beat him, it opens up a lot of doors for me, as opposed to sitting back and waiting or fighting guys that are the same rank. I want to fight the top guys in the division.”

Johnson first stumped for the Diaz fight after knocking out Gleison Tibau at UFC 168, but instead was called as a short-notice injury replacement for the injured Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night 37.

“It feels really good to bounce back from those two losses in a row and to beat three guys,” he said. “That just shows me and its proof that all the hard work that I’m putting in is really starting to pay off now. We’re looking at bigger and better things, like old Nate Diaz if he ever steps up to the plate.”

Diaz remains unbooked after turning down a fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 170 when the promotion declined a request to renegotiate his contract. The fighter then made headlines by hinting he’d like to be released from his contract, a request which UFC President Dana White declined to offer.

While Johnson said both he and Diaz like to stand and trade punches, he isn’t at all worried about grappling with Diaz on the mat, where the brash young fighter has earned several submission wins.

“He’s not taking me down,” Johnson said. “His wrestling isn’t sharp enough to take me down. The only way we get on the ground is when I drop him and I jump on to finish him and I don’t. That’s the only way.”

And if Johnson gets the fight, he’d like it to be on the biggest stage possible.

“I would love to be the co-main event on a pay-per-view,” Johnson said. “Me and Nate Diaz doing that, that would be a good one.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to http://www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Super Prospect Darrion Caldwell, Melvin Guillard Top Bellator 159 Card

Darrion Caldwell, a national college wrestling champion and one of the brightest up-and-coming bantamweights in MMA, will vie for a title shot this summer when he faces Joe Taimanglo in the main even read news >>

Conor McGregor Wants Nate Diaz, So He Came Up with Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar

While Conor McGregor focuses on exacting his revenge upon Nate Diaz, he says it was his idea for Jose Aldo to fight Frankie Edgar for the interim belt. read news >>

Dana White Declares Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz in Jeopardy, Might Have to Move On

Dana White on Thursday admitted that, with Nate Diaz negotiations stalling out, Conor McGregor may have to move on from his desire for a rematch. read news >>

Dana White Talks About Problems in Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz Negotiations

UFC President Dana White has had some problems negotiating recently with two of the UFC's biggest fighters. UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor, perhaps the most famous fighter in MMA today, se read news >>

Watch Nate Diaz Hit Dana White with the ‘Stockton Slap’

Well, looks like Dana White and Nate Diaz are getting along. So much that Dana's letting Nate smack that hell out of him. read news >>

Dana White Gets 'Hit' with the 'Stockton Slap' from Nate Diaz in Video

Nate Diaz is closer to stepping back inside the Octagon, and part of getting the deal done appears to be slapping Dana White. Warning: Video contains NSFW lyrics. Diaz posted the video to Instagram o read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor II Announced for UFC 202: Latest Comments, Reaction

After plenty of posturing by all parties involved, the UFC confirmed Saturday night Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon for a rematch with Nate Diaz, per UFC commentator Jon Anik. The two will read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 2 Booked for UFC 202 on August 20

The highly anticipated rematch between Nate Diaz and featherweight champion Conor McGregor has been signed to take place at UFC 202 on August 20. read news >>

Always a Step Above, Phil Hawes Aiming for Championship Gold

Feeling like he is always a step above his competition, Phil Hawes is always aiming for championship gold. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Talks Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz Before Eddie Alvarez UFC Fight

UFC Lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos thinks a future fight with Conor McGregor would be “easy money” for him. The Brazilian title-holder was speaking ahead of his upcoming bout with Eddie Alvare read news >>