UFC's Lavar "Big" Johnson suspended nine months, fine to be determined


lavar-johnson-13.jpg

UFC heavyweight Lavar Johnson has received a nine-month suspension from the California State Athletic Commission after failing his post-fight drug test at UFC 157.

A concurrent fine hasn’t been set, but could range between $1,000 and $1,250, according to CSAC Executive Officer Andy Foster.

Johnson (17-7 MMA, 2-2 UFC), who lost a unanimous decision to Brendan Schaub (9-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) at the Feb. 23 pay-per-view event, said he won’t appeal the suspension, Foster today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

In a recent discussion, Johnson admitted he was undergoing testosterone replacement therapy, Foster said, but failed to disclose it on a pre-fight medical questionnaire.

Heidi Seibert Adams, a PR rep for American Kickboxing Academy, said Johnson may seek an exemption for the treatment in the future. She added that as of yet, the UFC has not taken any punitive action against the fighter.

Foster initially said Johnson had been flagged for elevated testosterone, but today clarified that an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone (T/E) ratio of 6.6-to-1 triggered a carbon isotope ratio (CIR) test that confirmed the testosterone in Johnson “was consistent with the administration of a steroid.”

The CSAC’s acceptable T/E ratio is 4-to-1, which mirrors that of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

All other competitors tested at UFC 157 came back negative for performance-enhancers and drugs of abuse. The event took place at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Strikeforce vet Johnson opened his UFC career with a pair of highlight-reel knockouts over Joey Beltran and Pat Barry, but stumbled with losses to Stefan Struve and Schaub.

Recently, the UFC released middleweight Riki Fukuda after he tested positive for a trio of stimulants – phenylpropanolamine, norpseudoephedrine and ephedrine – in the wake of a decision loss to Brad Tavares at UFC on FUEL TV 8. He blamed the failure on a cold medication he took weeks prior to the bout.

Additionally, Alex Caceres was suspended and ordered to undergo drug treatment for a positive marijuana test at the March 2 event. His win over Kyung Ho Kang was overturned to a no-contest.

For complete coverage of UFC 157, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Lavar Johnson)

(Updated at 2:50 p.m. ET on March 21 to add that Johnson did not disclose his TRT use to the CSAC, and Johnson’s reps saying he may seek a future exemption.)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 19 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson is no longer under suspension after a Florida judge dismissed the temporary protection order filed against him. As of today, Anthony Johnson is cleared read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 2 views

Anthony Johnson, a streaking light heavyweight who had been indefinitely suspended after domestic abuse allegations, has been cleared to continue his career in the UFC after a civil case against him read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 5 views

With his suspension behind him, UFC light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson got his wish -- a fight with Sweden’s own Alexander Gustafsson. That fight will take place on Jan. 24 in Gustafsson’s n read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 2 views

After finally making his much-anticipated Octagon debut at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 19 Finale back in July with an impressive submission victory over Keith Berish, Robert Drysdale's win, unfortunat read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 0 views

Anthony Johnson's indefinite suspension has come to an end. The UFC announced on Thursday that the civil case levied against Johnson stemming from past allegations of domestic abuse has been dismisse read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 45 views

Light heavyweight Anthony Johnson has been reinstated with the UFC after a Florida domestic case was dismissed, the promotion today announced.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 1 views

The legal complaint filed against UFC light heavyweight Anthony Johnson has been dismissed. Is a fight with Alexander Gustafsson in the offing? read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 4 views

On Thursday, Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White revealed that a civil lawsuit against Anthony Johnson has been dismissed, thus allowing the light heavyweight to resume fighting immed read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 1 views

One of Bloody Elbow's top welterweight prospects of 2015, and a brand new heavyweight, make their way to the UFC. Big news in the Bloody Elbow scouting report. We're seeing immediate results with the read news >>

Jump to: