jon-jones-52.jpgFighting is treating Jon Jones pretty well these days. The tug of Hollywood isn’t as strong for the UFC light heavyweight champ as it’s been for others who’ve come before him.

Jones, though, likes the idea of starting a new career as an entertainer after he hangs up his gloves, and there’s one person he’d like to emulate if he goes into show business.

“I’d like to model my acting career on Dwayne Johnson, the way he came out of [WWE] and started off tough guy roles and then moved over to doing ‘Tooth Fairy,’” the 24-year-old Jones told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during an appearance at the UFC’s “World Tour” in Los Angeles. “That’s when you really saw that he could act, and he’s the one I admire and respect a lot, so I know I’d love to model my acting career after (him).”

A scarce few have been able to transition as successfully from the ring to the screen as the former pro wrestler, but several MMA athletes are giving it their best. Randy Couture, Gina Carano, and most recently, UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey are working in Hollywood in action movies.

As the youngest-ever UFC champ in history, Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) is no stranger to breaking down barriers. If he beats Gustafsson, he will become the most successful light-heavyweight in the promotion’s history. That goal, and securing he and his family’s financial future, keeps him focused on fighting. His bout next month against Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 165 is one more step on his current road.

The champ, however, is also looking life beyond fighting. At the start of this summer, he made the rounds of Hollywood studios and received some positive feedback about a potential acting career.

“Those meetings went great,” Jones said. “I realize that they see that I have a little bit of character on me, and with the right training, I could possibly be in some movies in the future.

“As an entertainer, I think acting is one of the highest levels you can get, and right now, I’m doing pretty well in my field, which is the martial arts world. To branch out a little bit and get my feet wet there and maybe prepare myself for a career after this career, I think it’s all part of the plan.”

The ability to morph from a tough guy to dramatic actor might be the toughest skill Jones has to learn if he decides to jump into a new field, but he said he’ll take it as seriously as fight camp.

“I’ll definitely take a lot of classes,” he said.

UFC 165 takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook.

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Knockout Radio LIVE from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for UFC 203!

LIVE from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland with guests Ian McCall, CB Dollaway, Mickey Gall, and Kai Kara France. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

Knockout Radio Podcast: LIVE from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for UFC 203! | MMAWeekly.com

Join Knockout Radio for their podcast from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland with guests Ian McCall, CB Dollaway, and Kai Kara France. read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Irate if Jon Jones Fights Anthony Johnson with Interim Belt | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is not happy about the idea that Jon Jones could defend the interim title against Anthony Johnson in his return. read news >>

What if Jon Jones Returned at Heavyweight? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez Don't Like It | MMAWeekly.com

What if Jon Jones returned to the Octagon as a heavyweight and fought Stipe Miocic? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez tear the idea apart. read news >>