jon-jones-52.jpgFighting is treating Jon Jones pretty well these days. The tug of Hollywood isn’t as strong for the UFC light heavyweight champ as it’s been for others who’ve come before him.

Jones, though, likes the idea of starting a new career as an entertainer after he hangs up his gloves, and there’s one person he’d like to emulate if he goes into show business.

“I’d like to model my acting career on Dwayne Johnson, the way he came out of [WWE] and started off tough guy roles and then moved over to doing ‘Tooth Fairy,’” the 24-year-old Jones told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during an appearance at the UFC’s “World Tour” in Los Angeles. “That’s when you really saw that he could act, and he’s the one I admire and respect a lot, so I know I’d love to model my acting career after (him).”

A scarce few have been able to transition as successfully from the ring to the screen as the former pro wrestler, but several MMA athletes are giving it their best. Randy Couture, Gina Carano, and most recently, UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey are working in Hollywood in action movies.

As the youngest-ever UFC champ in history, Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) is no stranger to breaking down barriers. If he beats Gustafsson, he will become the most successful light-heavyweight in the promotion’s history. That goal, and securing he and his family’s financial future, keeps him focused on fighting. His bout next month against Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 165 is one more step on his current road.

The champ, however, is also looking life beyond fighting. At the start of this summer, he made the rounds of Hollywood studios and received some positive feedback about a potential acting career.

“Those meetings went great,” Jones said. “I realize that they see that I have a little bit of character on me, and with the right training, I could possibly be in some movies in the future.

“As an entertainer, I think acting is one of the highest levels you can get, and right now, I’m doing pretty well in my field, which is the martial arts world. To branch out a little bit and get my feet wet there and maybe prepare myself for a career after this career, I think it’s all part of the plan.”

The ability to morph from a tough guy to dramatic actor might be the toughest skill Jones has to learn if he decides to jump into a new field, but he said he’ll take it as seriously as fight camp.

“I’ll definitely take a lot of classes,” he said.

UFC 165 takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook.

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Jon Jones Suspended 1 Year by USADA for Positive Drug Test

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) officially suspended Jon Jones for one year Monday after he tested positive for two banned substances prior to his UFC 200 clash with Daniel Cormier in July, accor read news >>

Jon Jones gets 1-year suspension from USADA for doping violation stemming from UFC 200

A three-member arbitration panel today upheld a standard one-year suspension for Jon Jones’ UFC 200 drug test failure, rendering the UFC interim light heavyweight champ unable to fight until July 7, read news >>

Jon Jones Suspended Following USADA Arbitration Hearing | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones won't be back in the Octagon any time soon after being issued a suspension following his recent U.S. Anti-Doping Agency arbitration hearing. read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson set for Submission Underground 2

No punches will be thrown, but Jon Jones and Dan Henderson will finally get a chance to compete.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Despite Suspension, Jon Jones Pleased to be Cleared of Cheating | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones issues statement after receiving the maximum allowable suspension for his anti-doping violation from USADA on Monday. read news >>

UFC statement on Jon Jones

UFC is aware of the one-year sanction levied against Jon Jones as a result of his UFC Anti-Doping Policy violation, decided by a three-person arbitration panel held on Monday, October 31, 2016. read news >>

Jon Jones Set to Meet Dan Henderson Grappling Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones may be under a one-year suspension that won’t end until July of 2017, but he does have his next competition tentatively scheduled. read news >>

Jon Jones Suspended for 1 Year by USADA | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC A positive out-of-competition drug test was the reason UFC interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was pulled off the historic UFC 200 card back in July. He was s read news >>

UFC's Jon Jones 'very happy I have been cleared in any wrongdoing'

Interim UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones declared a victory of sorts despite a one-year suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) stemming from his UFC 200 drug-test failure. Filed und read news >>

'Real journey' to begin for Alvarez at UFC 205

Eddie Alvarez says the real journey of his career will begin this Saturday, when he takes on Conor McGregor for the lightweight title at UFC 205 in New York City at Madison Square Garden. read news >>