jon-jones-52.jpgFighting is treating Jon Jones pretty well these days. The tug of Hollywood isn’t as strong for the UFC light heavyweight champ as it’s been for others who’ve come before him.

Jones, though, likes the idea of starting a new career as an entertainer after he hangs up his gloves, and there’s one person he’d like to emulate if he goes into show business.

“I’d like to model my acting career on Dwayne Johnson, the way he came out of [WWE] and started off tough guy roles and then moved over to doing ‘Tooth Fairy,’” the 24-year-old Jones told ( during an appearance at the UFC’s “World Tour” in Los Angeles. “That’s when you really saw that he could act, and he’s the one I admire and respect a lot, so I know I’d love to model my acting career after (him).”

A scarce few have been able to transition as successfully from the ring to the screen as the former pro wrestler, but several MMA athletes are giving it their best. Randy Couture, Gina Carano, and most recently, UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey are working in Hollywood in action movies.

As the youngest-ever UFC champ in history, Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) is no stranger to breaking down barriers. If he beats Gustafsson, he will become the most successful light-heavyweight in the promotion’s history. That goal, and securing he and his family’s financial future, keeps him focused on fighting. His bout next month against Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 165 is one more step on his current road.

The champ, however, is also looking life beyond fighting. At the start of this summer, he made the rounds of Hollywood studios and received some positive feedback about a potential acting career.

“Those meetings went great,” Jones said. “I realize that they see that I have a little bit of character on me, and with the right training, I could possibly be in some movies in the future.

“As an entertainer, I think acting is one of the highest levels you can get, and right now, I’m doing pretty well in my field, which is the martial arts world. To branch out a little bit and get my feet wet there and maybe prepare myself for a career after this career, I think it’s all part of the plan.”

The ability to morph from a tough guy to dramatic actor might be the toughest skill Jones has to learn if he decides to jump into a new field, but he said he’ll take it as seriously as fight camp.

“I’ll definitely take a lot of classes,” he said.

UFC 165 takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook.

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC Fight Night 95: Renan Barao vs. Phillipe Nover video highlights

After the first two-fight losing skid of his career, Renan Barao is back in the win column. The former bantamweight champ picked up a much-needed win over Phillipe Nover.Filed under: News, UFC, Video read news >>

'I wish to fight 'Cyborg' again before my career is over,' says a no-excuses Lina Lansberg

Less than three days after falling victim to yet another one of Cristiane Justino's thunderous performances, Lina Lansberg made no excuses for herself in an Instagram post, saying she wants to "rack read news >>

Watch Conor McGregor Burn Jeremy Stephens: 'Who the F*** is That Guy?' |

Jeremy Stephens has had a long career in the UFC with some memorable fights. Memorable to you and us, that is, but apparently not to Conor McGregor. read news >>

Rashad Evans Breaks Down UFC Portland Headliner, John Dodson vs. John Lineker

Rashad Evans has accomplished a great deal in his UFC career, picking up the light heavyweight strap in the course of 20 fights with the promotion. The soon-to-be middleweight contender takes on Tim read news >>

With Matt Hughes in His Corner, Adam Osmoe Ready to Kick Career into Full Gear |

With UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes in his corner and school behind him, Adam Osmoe is ready to kick his fight career into full gear. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 results: Andre Fili upsets Hacran Dias for biggest win of MMA career

PORTLAND, Ore. – Andre Fili put Hacran Dias down early and nearly put him away. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nate Marquardt, 53 Fights Later, Only Getting Better (video) |

Nate Marquardt is 53 fights into his professional career, but he's only getting better. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 video highlights: Alex Oliveira vs. Will Brooks

Alex Oliveira picked up the biggest win of his career. Then things got weird. Check out the highlights inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Trading Shots: Would you let your child do MMA? How about as a career?

A new CNN report asks whether you’d let your child do MMA. In this week’s Trading Shots, Downes and Fowlkes ask each other the same question, then ask whether the answer would change when it comes to read news >>

Dan Henderson wishes he'd fought Jon Jones, but won't do it if he beats Michael Bisping at UFC 204

There isn’t much that Dan Henderson hasn’t accomplished in the sport of MMA. So far, the only thing that’s eluded him is an undisputed UFC title. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vi read news >>