UFC's Jon Jones wants to model future acting career on Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

• submit to reddit

jon-jones-52.jpgFighting is treating Jon Jones pretty well these days. The tug of Hollywood isn’t as strong for the UFC light heavyweight champ as it’s been for others who’ve come before him.

Jones, though, likes the idea of starting a new career as an entertainer after he hangs up his gloves, and there’s one person he’d like to emulate if he goes into show business.

“I’d like to model my acting career on Dwayne Johnson, the way he came out of [WWE] and started off tough guy roles and then moved over to doing ‘Tooth Fairy,’” the 24-year-old Jones told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during an appearance at the UFC’s “World Tour” in Los Angeles. “That’s when you really saw that he could act, and he’s the one I admire and respect a lot, so I know I’d love to model my acting career after (him).”

A scarce few have been able to transition as successfully from the ring to the screen as the former pro wrestler, but several MMA athletes are giving it their best. Randy Couture, Gina Carano, and most recently, UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey are working in Hollywood in action movies.

As the youngest-ever UFC champ in history, Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) is no stranger to breaking down barriers. If he beats Gustafsson, he will become the most successful light-heavyweight in the promotion’s history. That goal, and securing he and his family’s financial future, keeps him focused on fighting. His bout next month against Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 165 is one more step on his current road.

The champ, however, is also looking life beyond fighting. At the start of this summer, he made the rounds of Hollywood studios and received some positive feedback about a potential acting career.

“Those meetings went great,” Jones said. “I realize that they see that I have a little bit of character on me, and with the right training, I could possibly be in some movies in the future.

“As an entertainer, I think acting is one of the highest levels you can get, and right now, I’m doing pretty well in my field, which is the martial arts world. To branch out a little bit and get my feet wet there and maybe prepare myself for a career after this career, I think it’s all part of the plan.”

The ability to morph from a tough guy to dramatic actor might be the toughest skill Jones has to learn if he decides to jump into a new field, but he said he’ll take it as seriously as fight camp.

“I’ll definitely take a lot of classes,” he said.

UFC 165 takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook.

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

With friends like these...
I know what some of you are thinking: Who cares what a WWE wrestler and Hollywood actor thinks?
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), apparently, as the world's leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion recently put "Hercules" on the cover of its latest magazine, along with an excerpt about his relationship with several prominent fighters (and one surprise prediction).
From UFC.com: "I always have my eyes on the champions, specifically the heavyweight and light heavyw more

With the line between athlete and entertainer becoming more blurred each year, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson finds himself working alongside some of MMA's biggest stars. Having filmed Fast & Furious 6 with Gina Carano and Fast & Furious 7 with UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, who better to pick a would-be matchup between the two than Johnson?
"Come on, man, you can't ask me that," Johnson told UFC.com. "That's like asking me, "Hey, Rock, which side of your handsome face do you like be more

New Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight No. 1 contender Daniel Cormier (because of this) talks about his last sparring session with longtime training partner and UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez (1:20 mark), which threw him for a loop because Velasquez was trying to emulate Jon Jones -- complete with side kick to the knee. "DC" told him to pump the brakes on that (for now) because they're still nine weeks out from UFC 178, where Cormier will attempt to break "Bones" for more

• a day ago

There are things former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans will and won't do.
First up, getting healthy and returning to the Octagon is 'Suga's' top priority. He will do that. As he told Ariel Helwani on Monday's The MMA Hour, he suspects early 2015 is when he'll finally be able to get off the sidelines.
"I want to return in February," Evans said, since being on the proverbial bench from an injury he sustained in February of this year. "That's just me giving myself enough time to make s more

I can think of a worse way to spend 90 minutes, and even if you aren't a professional wrestling fan, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin has some interesting insight into mixed martial arts (MMA) and its biggest promotion, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). That includes his comments on UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones (read 'em here), which ruffled a few feathers on Monday following the conclusion of the MMA Hour. Watch Austin dish on "Bones" and a bunch of other hot-button topics in the video more

See you in "Sin City."
Canada? Pfffft. Sweden? As if.
The Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson light heavyweight championship rematch, recently booked for the upcoming UFC 178 pay-per-view (PPV) event on Sept. 27, 2014, now has a place to call home, according to promotion president Dana White.
Well, sorta.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on Friday (July 4) announced the event would be held in Las Vegas, Nevada, but has yet to reveal an official venue, though both MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay ar more

Sorry Torontonians, Las Vegas is the place to be for one of the biggest fights of the year.
The first epic clash between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson took place in Toronto, Ontario, and the rematch was supposed to be in the same city. Those plans have been nixed, and on a special edition of UFC Tonight, Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed that UFC 178 will be in Las Vegas on 9/27. Believe it or not, it's the first time that Jones has fought in Vegas as a champion, although they tried to accomplish more

The highly-anticipated light heavyweight championship rematch between Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson finally has a location. more

Because fighting a bigger man like "Bones" would provide Weidman more of a test than the much smaller Hendricks. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight titleholder Johny Hendricks recently took the opportunity to put his boss, Dana White, on the spot, asking for a potential "super fight" against middleweight champion Chris Weidman at some point in the future.
The UFC president, however, was having none of it, saying that "Bigg Rigg" still had a long road ahead of him in a stacked 170- more