jon-jones-52.jpgFighting is treating Jon Jones pretty well these days. The tug of Hollywood isn’t as strong for the UFC light heavyweight champ as it’s been for others who’ve come before him.

Jones, though, likes the idea of starting a new career as an entertainer after he hangs up his gloves, and there’s one person he’d like to emulate if he goes into show business.

“I’d like to model my acting career on Dwayne Johnson, the way he came out of [WWE] and started off tough guy roles and then moved over to doing ‘Tooth Fairy,’” the 24-year-old Jones told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during an appearance at the UFC’s “World Tour” in Los Angeles. “That’s when you really saw that he could act, and he’s the one I admire and respect a lot, so I know I’d love to model my acting career after (him).”

A scarce few have been able to transition as successfully from the ring to the screen as the former pro wrestler, but several MMA athletes are giving it their best. Randy Couture, Gina Carano, and most recently, UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey are working in Hollywood in action movies.

As the youngest-ever UFC champ in history, Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) is no stranger to breaking down barriers. If he beats Gustafsson, he will become the most successful light-heavyweight in the promotion’s history. That goal, and securing he and his family’s financial future, keeps him focused on fighting. His bout next month against Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 165 is one more step on his current road.

The champ, however, is also looking life beyond fighting. At the start of this summer, he made the rounds of Hollywood studios and received some positive feedback about a potential acting career.

“Those meetings went great,” Jones said. “I realize that they see that I have a little bit of character on me, and with the right training, I could possibly be in some movies in the future.

“As an entertainer, I think acting is one of the highest levels you can get, and right now, I’m doing pretty well in my field, which is the martial arts world. To branch out a little bit and get my feet wet there and maybe prepare myself for a career after this career, I think it’s all part of the plan.”

The ability to morph from a tough guy to dramatic actor might be the toughest skill Jones has to learn if he decides to jump into a new field, but he said he’ll take it as seriously as fight camp.

“I’ll definitely take a lot of classes,” he said.

UFC 165 takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and Facebook.

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Fernando Gonzalez vs. Michael Page gets Bellator 151 co-main event spot

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 151.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81's Daron Cruickshank: 'Desperate animal is going to fight for its life'

BOSTON – Lightweight Daron Cruickshank’s career with the UFC has been bumpy to say the least. The “Detroit Superstar” has been shoved into the corner, and the way he sees it, he’s got only one way ou read news >>

Jon Anik picking Cruz over champ Dillashaw due to McGregor-like confidence

Jon Anik remembers the time he sat between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans prior to their fight at UFC 145. “They went 90 minutes straight, and after one minute (and 15 seconds), I didn’t say a word,” he read news >>

Francisco Trinaldo preparing for UFC Fight Night 81 by 'improving my deficiencies'

Francisco Trinaldo has his UFC career rolling. The Brazilian lightweight has rattled off four straight wins to cement his place in one of the deepest division’s in the world’s top MMA promotion.Filed read news >>

Twitter reacts to Eddie Alvarez's upset of Anthony Pettis at UFC Fight Night 81

Eddie Alvarez has accomplished much in his career, but at UFC Fight Night 81 he earned arguably his biggest victory to date against ex-UFC champ Anthony Pettis. Check out the top Twitter reactions to read news >>

Travis Browne Beats Matt Mitrione in Foul-Filled Fight at UFC Fight Night 81

Matt Mitrione and Travis Browne entered UFC Fight Night 81 at a career crossroads. Mitrione walked into the cage with free agency in mind. Openly discussing his intent to test the market, this bout w read news >>

Travis Browne Beats Matt Mitrione in Foul-Filled Fight at UFC Fight Night 81

How a couple of eyepokes changed Matt Mitrione’s career plans (spoiler: they didn’t)

UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione expects to undergo surgery Monday for an orbital blowout fracture he suffered from a Travis Browne punch at UFC Fight Night 81.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The New Kaiju King: Jon Jones Would Destroy Godzilla Inside of 2 Rounds

Jon Jones' latest Instagram posts are the equivalent of sirens blaring to warn of Godzilla coming ashore. They are an omen of impending destruction. And absolutely no one is safe. He is coming back t read news >>

Ex-champ Jon Jones would fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196 – if heavyweight belt is on line

Here’s an intriguing – though likely farfetched – possibility for next week’s UFC 196 headliner.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>