UFC's Hector Lombard considering a drop to welterweight


hector-lombard-18.jpgAfter a successful middleweight run outside the UFC and mixed results in the organization, Hector Lombard is considering a drop to welterweight.

FUEL TV’s “UFC Tonight” reported the possibility on Tuesday.

Lombard (32-4-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) dominated the competition from 2007-2011, which included a 24-0-1 record and a lengthy title run with his former home at Bellator MMA.

However, after signing with the UFC this past year, Lombard suffered a split-decision loss to Tim Boetsch in a flat promotional debut. He rebounded for a knockout victory over Rousimar Palhares, but this past month at UFC on FUEL TV 8, he dropped a split decision to perennial contender Yushin Okami.

Lombard, who recently employed the services of weight-cutting and dieting consultant Mike Dolce, will do a test weight cut to 170 pounds before making a final decision.

However, many factors are working against him, including his stocky build and his age (35). In fact, Lombard had to strip and stand behind a towel to make weight for the Okami fight. Additionally, the Cuban-Australian and Olympic judoka also previously competed as heavy as light heavyweight earlier in his career.

Lombard currently is awaiting surgery on a broken nose he suffered in the loss to Okami before he resumes a full training camp.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 26 days ago
  • 14 views

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard feared the worst after a neck injury suffered in training. Now, he tells MMAjunkie, he’s working toward a comeback and trying to rebrand himself with a new nickname an read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 5 views

Hector Lombard was on the rise in the UFC's welterweight division before an injury forced him to the sidelines earlier this year. The fighter, now known as “Showeather,” is prepping for a return to t read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 12 views

UFC President Dana White said a potential welterweight fight between Tyron Woodley and Hector Lombard is a go – if Woodley agrees. Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC welterweight contender Tyron Woodley recently called out Matt "The Immortal" Brown, but it appears the UFC has different plans for T-Wood. Speaking with UFC.com, UFC President Dana White revealed read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 4 views

The UFC will return to Australia on Nov. 8, and UFC welterweight contender Hector Lombard is likely to headline the card.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 624 views

Hector Lombard repeatedly told MMAjunkie Radio that he has no relationship with Tyron Woodley that would keep the two of them from fighting as the UFC requested. Filed under: Featured, Featured Video read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 1 views

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) with guests Hector Lombard and Kenny Monday.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 14 views

Hector Lombard has already agreed to a fight against fellow Top 10 welterweight Tyron Woodley, according to UFC President Dana White. read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 22 views

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - UFC president Dana White was looking to book Hector Lombard vs. Tyron Woodley as the headliner for a December show in Australia. According to the UFC president, Lombard, the form read news >>