UFC's Gegard Mousasi believed Belfort, 'idiot' Silva were replacement options


gegard-mousasi-19.jpgSTOCKHOLM – Before he ultimately got paired up with little-known Ilir Latifi (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC), Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) believed he had two possible replacements for injured opponent Alexander Gustafsson: Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva.

Of course, with little information coming in about Saturday’s UFC on FUEL TV 9 headliner, he was getting most of his updates from social media.

And, as Mousasi today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), “Social media sucks.”

Like everyone else, Mousasi, who headlines Saturday’s FUEL TV-televised event at Stockholm’s Ericsson Globe Arena, read all kinds of crazy possibilities. The fact that most of the chatter took place on April Fools’ Day only made matters worse.

“There was disappointment,” said Mousasi when talking about the initial reports of Gustafsson’s facial cut. “No one left me anything. I had to find out through my manager and through the Internet. It wasn’t a pleasant week.”

So he flew to Sweden unsure of whom he’d be fighting, or even if he’d be fighting at all. UFC officials remains tight-lipped, Gustafsson was campaigning to stay on the card, and then Twitter and Facebook lit up. At first, though, he felt he might get a high-profile replacement and a former UFC champion as a replacement.

“Vitor Belfort stepped up, and there were talks with my manager, and he wanted to take the fight on short notice,” said Mousasi, who isn’t sure what ultimately happened with the possibility. “So we would have gladly accepted that fight.”

Of course, the following situation with Silva irked him more than others. The fan favorite took to Twitter and announced the UFC had contacted him about filling in, and Silva even did subsequent interviews confirming he had taken the fight and that it wasn’t an April Fools’ Day joke.

Except that, you know, it was.

“Wanderlei (Silva) was saying he wanted the fight, and we said yes,” said Mousasi, who later learned it was a joke. “If I had done it to him, he wouldn’t have appreciated it either. I’m in a situation where no one is informing me of anything, and this idiot is saying it for three days as an April Fools’ joke. It’s not funny. But what I can I do?”

Mousasi said he has no desire to fight Silva. If the UFC wants to make the fight, he’ll do it. But despite his annoyance, he sees no reason for it. Instead, he wants to win on Saturday and then get paired up with Gustafsson or fellow top contender Lyoto Machida after a planned vacation.

Obviously, though, Latifi is up first. Mousasi is a heavy favorite, and it’s admittedly a big reason he wasn’t all that excited about the matchup when they first pitched it to him.

“Latifi asked for the fight on social media and in Sweden, so eventually, he was the only guy we were able to fight,” he said. “At first there was a little of hesitation because it’s a risky fight. I’ve got nothing to win but a lot to lose, but hey, at least I’m fighting.”

For more on UFC on FUEL TV 9, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 23 days ago
  • 106 views

UFC fighter Gegard Mousasi can’t seem to catch a break when it comes to hanging on to his belongings.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 16 views

Vote now in the Bloody Elbow Baddest Tournament to determine the Greatest MMA Striker of All Time. Today's match-up: #4 Carlos Condit vs. #5 Gegard Mousasi. Vote now! In the battle of crazy reach vs. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 1 views

One down, several to go. UFC 184 headliner Vitor Belfort was hit with a surprise drug test earlier this month while training in South Florida, when the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) sent co read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort passed a random drug test administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission in advance of his February title fight against champ Chris Weidman.Filed read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 1 views

UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort has passed a random drug test administered to him by Nevada's Athletic Commission earlier this month. The leading storyline in the build-up to Chris We read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 11 views

Vitor Belfort passed the first of what is expected to be many random drug tests ahead of his upcoming UFC 184 title challenge against middleweight champion Chris Weidman, MMAFighting.com confirmed wi read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 2 views

Vitor Belfort has cleared the first of what is likely to be several hurdles leading up to his UFC 184 title challenge of middleweight champion Chris Weidman. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 33 views

There were a lot of Vitor Belfort fans bitching and moaning about the playing field as we head into the UFC 184 pay-per-view (PPV) event, scheduled for Feb. 28, 2014 inside the Staples Center in Los read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 32 views

Ahead of January’s UFC on FOX 14 event and an intriguing light heavyweight headliner, the organization today headed to the host site, Stockholm’s Tele2 Arena, for a press conference and open workouts read news >>