UFC's Chael Sonnen tells Wanderlei Silva 'accosting a gangster can be hazardous'


As the host of “UFC Tonight,” Chael Sonnen has a battery of cameras at his disposal. So after Wanderlei Silva filmed and posted a recent confrontation between the two fighters, what else did you expect him to do?

Sonnen opened Wednesday’s new edition of “UFC Tonight” with a rant about the seemingly manufactured confrontation with “The Axe Murderer” this past Saturday at the Mr. Olympia event in Las Vegas.

“I’m all for Wanderlei having a little fun,” Sonnen said. “Good for him. Let him have his fun. But Wanderlei, thee things: First off, if you’re going to do a publicity stunt, do not bring your own camera. It looks staged, which it was. It insults your audience. Assume that they’re going to connect the dots. Show up where a camera is, and then go into your routine.”

Sonnen, who of course has made a living as MMA’s unquestioned king of trash talk, didn’t stop there. The self-proclaimed “Gangster from West Linn, Oregon” honed in on Silva’s recent reluctance to accept a fight with Sonnen, with the Brazilian reportedly holding out for a cut of pay-per-view revenue, as reason why the MMA legend has no business issuing challenges.

“Secondly, in this country and within this industry, if you refuse to fight a guy like you did me, you forfeit your right to talk about that person in this type of fashion,” Sonnen said. “Accosting someone in public can be regrettable. Accosting a gangster can be hazardous.”

Sonnen (29-13-1 MMA, 7-6 UFC) is currently slated to fight Rashad Evans (18-3-1 MMA, 13-3-1 UFC) at November’s UFC 167 event. Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC) is currently on the mend but should be ready to fight in early 2014. While time will whether the pair will ultimately fight, Sonnen said he’d be happy to meet Silva in a different fashion on the set of “UFC Tonight.”

“Third and finally, Wanderlei, if you would like to come on this very set and conduct a conventional and traditional style interview, we here at ‘UFC Tonight’ will pay your way,” Sonnen said.

RSVP at your earliest convenience, Mr. Silva.

For more UFC 167, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 16 days ago
  • 97 views

Chael Sonnen's retirement from MMA hasn't exactly been silent. After the former UFC light heavyweight was suspended for two years by the Nevada Athletic Commission in July for testing positive for mu read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

On last week's edition of The MMA Beat, the panelists discussed a variety of interesting topics, including Eddie Alvarez singing with the UFC, his match-up against Donald Cerrone, Wanderlei Silva's f read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 3 views

Many of the most timeless submissions in the history of MMA unfolded unexpectedly. Anderson Silva's fifth-round triangle armbar of Chael Sonnen was a classic stunner simply because it spoiled a seemi read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 8 views

UFC heavyweight title challenger Fabricio Werdum isn’t convinced Wanderlei Silva’s trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission will tarnish his career.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 9 views

UFC president Dana White says Wanderlei Silva would have been better off testing positive to a banned substance than running from the random drug test. read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 6 views

Pro-Wrestling legend Jim Ross and former UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen pair up to announce the upcoming Battleground MMA PPV in October. After expressing a keen interest in announcing an MMA even read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 9 views

Retired two-time UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen may be done inside the Octagon, but that doesn't mean his passion for combat sports has completely faded. On Thursday, The American Gangster tweeted read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 5 views

Former UFC top contender Chael Sonnen was promoted to purple belt in jiu jitsu. Multiple-time UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen has been working on his jiujitsu lately after a lengthy ban from mixed read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 85 views

Wanderlei Silva will never fight again. More than a year after his last fight inside the Octagon, and still involved a controversy with the Nevada Athletic Commission, the former PRIDE champion has a read news >>