UFC's Alistair Overeem explains why he turned down proposed Junior dos Santos fight


alistair-overeem-ufc-169Alistair Overeem said there are a couple good reasons he turned down a proposed fight with fellow UFC heavyweight Junior dos Santos.

Wednesday’s edition of “UFC Tonight” reported that Overeem (37-13 MMA, 2-2 UFC) turned down a five-round fight ex-champ dos Santos (16-3 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in Brazil, as well as a potential three-rounder in Las Vegas. UFC President Dana White characterized it as the Dutchman “literally hiding” from dos Santos.

But Overeem, on vacation in Jamaica, recently defended himself on Twitter:

Overeem is fresh off a lopsided UFC 169 decision victory over Frank Mir. In the Feb. 2 pay-per-view co-headliner, Overeem didn’t put away the former champ, but he left little doubt about the win while posting winning 30-27 scores on all three judges’ cards.

It marked a successful turnaround for the 33-year-old Dutchman, who had suffered back-to-back knockout losses to Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and Travis Browne in his previous two fights.

Prior to the skid, which put his UFC employment in jeopardy, the kickboxer had won 11 straight fights while picking up titles with Strikeforce and DREAM. That ultimately led to a UFC contract and a promotional-debut win over Brock Lesnar. However, a subsequent No. 1 contender’s bout with dos Santos in early 2012 was scrapped when Overeem failed a pre-fight drug test due.

Perhaps surprisingly, Overeem used his post-UFC 169 interview to call out Lesnar, who hasn’t fought since the duo’s first meeting in 2011. Lesnar, though, had been the subject of speculation about a potential return to the cage, which likely prompted Overeem’s callout. (After the event, White said Lesnar won’t be returning to the cage.)

With Overeem likely out of the mix, White didn’t give a Plan B for dos Santos’ next fight. The Brazilian most recently competed in October, when he failed to reclaim the title from reigning champion Cain Velasquez.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 10 days ago
  • 11 views

Watch the video highlights from the UFC Fight Night 61 bout between Michael de la Torre and Tiago dos Santos. read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 3 views

Roy Nelson discusses his next fight against Alistair Overeem. read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 44 views

Urijah Faber is no longer part next month’s UFC Fight Night bill in Rio de Janeiro, but according to a report from Combate, “The California Kid” turned down at least one potential r read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 7 views

On Saturday night, the UFC returns from a week off with UFC Fight Night 60. Live on Fox Sports 1, the card is headlined by former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson going up to 170 pounds for read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 0 views

Leonardo Santos has a new opponent for UFC Fight Night 62. Less than 24 hours after the media day that officially announced the fight card in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the promotion announced that Matt read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 1 views

An injury has forced a change to next month’s UFC return to Brazil, and Tony Martin now will face Leonardo Santos. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 3 views

Mixed martial arts is a chaotic sport where anything can and usually does happen. The leadup to the UFC's return to Denver for Fight Night 60 was a prime example of how hectic things can get at the h read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 12 views

This weekend, the UFC makes its return to Brazil with UFC Fight Night 61. Headlined by Frank Mir and Antonio Silva, the card is heavy on local talent but has a lot of strong fighters competing in its read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 200 views

Not a good look. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight champion Anderson Silva failed an out-of-competition drug test prior to stepping into the cage to face Nick Diaz at UFC 183 o read news >>