alexander-gustafsson-10.jpgSTOCKHOLM – Alexander Gustafsson is over the sorrow of losing his headlining spot at Saturday’s UFC on FUEL TV 9 event, and he’s already looking ahead. But he’s learned a valuable lesson for the future: Headgear can be a fighter’s best friend.

“The last three weeks, I will start wearing headgear, even when I sleep,” Gustafsson joked with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “It’s a lesson, and I learned from it. Let’s look forward now. To my fans, I’m sorry, but I will be back.”

Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) was scheduled to face Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in the main event of UFC on FUEL TV 9, which takes place in Gustafsson’s home nation of Sweden. But in one of his final practices, he said a freak accident opened a gash over his left eye when as a light grappling session saw him lose his balance and pitch forward into a cage post.

“It was one of my last training sessions, and it wasn’t even hard,” Gustafsson said. “We weren’t sparring. We were wrestling, pummeling arms, and I just injured myself. It’s a f—ed up thing to happen in your last training session.

“For me, it wasn’t a big deal. I was like, ‘Let’s go and fix this – stitch it up.’”

Unfortunately, things didn’t work out exactly as Gustafsson hoped. When officials from the Swedish MMA Federation were informed of the injury, they examined Gustafsson and ultimately decided that he wasn’t medically fit to fight.

“I wasn’t going to train any more before the fight and just let it heal it up,” Gustafsson said. “Then I guess someone found out about it and someone else found out about it. It was just a chain reaction. I had to go to the doctor, and they checked it out and said it didn’t look good.

“It’s been a circus. This is the first time it’s ever happened in my career, so it’s a new thing for me, and it’s been tough.”

Stepping into Gustafsson’s place is unheralded promotional newcomer Ilir Latifi (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who now becomes an extremely unlikely UFC headliner. If there is a bright side to the entire situation, Gustafsson said it’s that his training partner has been given an incredible opportunity.

“You won’t find a better guy,” Gustafsson said. “He’s a good friend of mine, a good person. He’s a great athlete. He’s tough. I can’t wait to see it.”

Whether or not fans will enjoy that same excitement level remains to be seen. Initial reaction has been tepid, at best, as the Swedish public was longing to see Gustafsson on Saturday at Stockholm’s Ericsson Globe Arena. The top light heavyweight contender understands fans’ disappointment but insists he’ll make it up to them very shortly. In the meantime, he’s trying to remain as positive as possible.

“I’m sorry to let my fans down, but I can’t be depressed about this,” he said. “I can’t walk around and think about it anymore. It’s done. It’s fixed. I can just look forward now.

“I learned a lesson. It’s not going to happen again.”

Should Mousasi prove victorious on Saturday night, he may very well be lined up again with Gustafsson. Current top contender Lyoto Machida could also prove a worthy adversary if “The Dragon” isn’t granted a title shot.

Gustafsson said he’s fine taking on any opponent, just as long as it pushes him toward a title shot.

“I need a week of rest,” Gustafsson said. “After that, I’ll get back to training. I’m training hard. I’m in shape. I’m ready for five rounds. I can take a fight anytime, anywhere, any place.

“I’ll fight whoever. I want to fight a guy that will bring me to the championship. That’s what I want.”

For more on UFC on FUEL TV 9, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Ryan Bader: Alexander Gustafsson Doesn't Deserve Title Shot, Isn't as Dangerous

Ryan Bader was passed over for a crack at Daniel Cormier's UFC light heavyweight title in favor of Alexander Gustafsson and, unsurprisingly, it isn't sitting well with him. Speaking with Ariel Helwan read news >>

UFC 188's Charles Rosa: Yair Rodriguez is fighting me 'too soon, too early' in career

Ahead of Saturday’s UFC 188 event, Charles Rosa praised UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby for giving him “the perfect matchup” and opponent: fellow featherweight prospect Yair Rodriguez Filed under: News, U read news >>

Ryan Bader: Alexander Gustafsson does not deserve UFC title shot against Daniel Cormier

Especially coming off a brutal knockout loss to a guy who just got choked out himself, says Bader. Ryan Bader -- once again -- was left out in the cold when it came to getting the next 205-pound titl read news >>

Ryan Bader: I'm a 'more dangerous' opponent for Daniel Cormier than Alexander Gustafsson

Not only does Ryan Bader think he deserves a title shot more than Alexander Gustafsson right now, he also believes that he'd be a tougher opponent for Daniel Cormier. Bader, who has won four in a row read news >>

UFC 188 Video: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum Full Countdown Show

Watch UFC 188 headlining title fight in Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum get previewed in depth. UFC 188 is approaching and Zuffa has released their traditional countdown show to preview the upcomi read news >>

Sans Bellator Belt, Michael Chandler Believes He’s Still One of the World’s Best

Despite losing his Bellator belt and sliding into a skid, Michael Chandler enters Bellator 138 believing he's still one of the best lightweights in the world. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 68 event in New Orleans, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those read news >>

Gustafsson believes Cormier has ‘tons’ of weaknesses he can exploit during title fight

Former title challenger Alexander Gustafsson believes that current champion Daniel Cormier has “tons” of weaknesses that can be exploited during their upcoming title fight. Several Saturdays ago, the read news >>

After first-round KO win, 44-year-old Dan Henderson has no plans for retirement

Saturday night would have been a perfect night for Dan Henderson to call it a career. After a rough stretch to the tune of five losses in six fights, the MMA legend flattened Tim Boetsch in just 28 s read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 results: Emotional Francisco Rivera KOs Alex Caceres in 21 seconds

NEW ORLEANS – Francisco Rivera snapped a losing skid and reminded why he is a danger for anyone in the 135-pound division with a 21-second knockout of Alex Caceres to kick off the UFC Fight Night 68 read news >>