UFC vet Chael Sonnen suspended two years for failed drug tests


chael-sonnen-ufc-148

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today handed down a two-year suspension and other punishments to now-retired UFC fighter Chael Sonnen following a pair of failed UFC 175 drug tests.

At a hearing today in Las Vegas, Sonnen (28-14-1 MMA, 7-6 UFC) admitted his guilt and said he agreed with the commission’s punishment, which also includes paying the cost and analysis of the drug tests that ensnared him, agreeing not to fight in any other jurisdiction for his two-year term, and acting as an educator to both the commission and fellow fighters on the issue of performance-enhancing drugs.

The commission voted unanimously after a short deliberation on Sonnen’s case.

NSAC commissioner Anthony A. Marnell III, a former minor league baseball player, took a hard line on the issue, suggesting the fighter should receive a lifetime ban in the state. However, commissioners Raymond “Skip” Avansino suggested a shorter term and countered that Sonnen should be used as a resource for stamping out future PED use.

“Today is the day for him to take responsibility for cheating,” NSAC chair Francisco Aguilar said. “It’s not a time to hide behind false excuses. I think a great penalty is warranted here for the sake of a clean sport.”

Sonnen was flagged for a total of five PEDs prior to a scheduled fight with Vitor Belfort at the July 5 pay-per-view event: anastrozole, clomifene, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), human growth hormone (HGH) and recombinant human erythropoietin. The first failed test prompted the UFC to pull him from the fight, after which he publicly retired from the sport on June 11. The second positive test, which revealed the presence of noted PEDs HGH and EPO, triggered the termination of his relationship with the UFC and FOX, where he served as a host of FOX Sports 1's “UFC Tonight.”

Nevada Deputy Attorney General Christopher Eccles represented the NSAC today in its amended complaint against Sonnen. The commission also heard from NSAC medical consultant Dr. Timothy Trainor and anti-doping expert Dr. Daniel Eichner before rendering their decision.

Sonnen’s legal rep and co-manger, Jeff Myer, restated a response to the commission’s complaint by saying the fighter did not dispute any of the findings against him. He again asked the commission to consider Sonnen’s cooperation during the drug tests and subsequent fallout.

While testifying before the commission, a grave Sonnen said, “I don’t want to say anything that comes off as an excuse (for the positive tests), because I’m guilty. I’m ashamed.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 21 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today suspended UFC light heavyweight Robert Drysdale for one year and fined him 33 percent of the purse he earned at The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale following a f read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 11 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) on Monday handed down a one-year suspension to UFC light heavyweight Robert Drysdale for his failed post-fight drug test following his debut fight with the promot read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 58 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission finally lived up to their promise to drug test former TRT user Vitor Belfort and showed up in Florida to collect blood and urine from the fighter. For those cynic read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 1 views

The California State Athletic Commission has issued fines and suspensions to the four Bellator MMA fighters who failed drug tests following Bellator 127 on Oct. 3. read news >>

  • 20 hours ago
  • 0 views

UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort has passed a random drug test administered to him by Nevada's Athletic Commission earlier this month. The leading storyline in the build-up to Chris We read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission is looking at toughening up on licensees who are found to have used banned substances.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 24 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission collected both blood and urine samples from UFC middleweight No. 1 contender Vitor Belfort in Florida on Saturday. read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 11 views

Exactly three months ago, the Nevada Athletic Commission granted Vitor Belfort a license to fight in the state based on three conditions: he could not compete prior to December, his next fight had to read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo compared Conor McGregor to former middleweight and light-heavyweight title challenger Chael Sonnen. Jose Aldo is not one to call out his potential title challenge read news >>

Jump to: