UFC releases veteran heavyweight Cheick Kongo after UFC 159 loss


cheick-kongo-18.jpgAfter a seven-year run that included 18 fights in the organization, veteran heavyweight Cheick Kongo is a UFC fighter no more.

A UFC official told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Kongo recently fulfilled the last fight on his contract and is unlikely to be re-signed at the current time.

The release comes a few days after Kongo (18-8-2 MMA, 11-6-1 UFC) suffered a knockout loss to Roy Nelson (19-7 MMA, 6-3 UFC) on UFC 159's pay-per-view main card, which took place April 27 in Newark, N.J.

Kongo, 37, was one of the UFC’s longest-employed and most experienced fighters. He made his promotional debut way back at UFC 61 in 2006, where the French kickboxer knocked out Gilbert Aldana as part of a 7-2 start to his UFC career.

Kongo, in fact, was on a 4-1-1 run before the setback to Nelson, which came just two minutes into this past weekend’s fight.

However, that’s been a theme of his time in the UFC. While he sports an overall 11-6-1 mark in the organization, Kongo struggled against the elite of the division, including notables such as Cain Velasquez, Frank Mir and Mark Hunt. The big-fight losses stalled any title hopes, though he proved a tough out for just about anyone, including Velasquez, who’s earned stoppage wins against everyone but dos Santos and Kongo.

Kongo, currently ranked 14th for the most fights in UFC history, also is currently ranked No. 13 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA heavyweight rankings.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

(UPDATED: on May 1, 2013, at 4:15 p.m. ET with confirmation from a UFC official that Kongo fulfilled the terms of his contract and is unlikely to be re-signed.)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 30 views

Former UFC competitor Cody McKenzie put an end to his retirement from professional MMA, as he is scheduled to return at WSOF 18 in Edmonton, Canada. After announcing his retirement following a knocko read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 2 views

Marlon Moraes the person and Marlon Moraes the fighter are separate entities. As a fighter, the World Series of Fighting (WSOF) bantamweight champion is an absolute killer—a monster, some might say—o read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 7 views

Lightweight fighter Dave Burrow upset UFC veteran Anthony Njokuani via armbar submission in the main event of Legacy FC 38 on AXS TV Fights on Friday night. read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 590 views

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) turned Bellator MMA heavyweight star Cheick Kongo admitted he was surprised to hear he would be taking on former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muh read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 1 views

It’s one of those fights that will always have a special place in MMA history. Something big was about to happen – even if Frank Mir found a way to delay the fun.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC middleweight and Ultimate Fighter veteran Josh Samman says that fighters should be enthusiastically embracing Zuffa's new expanded drug testing regime and stiffer penalties instead of greeting th read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 4 views

While Antonio Silva continued his drop down the UFC heavyweight rankings, a pair of unlikely winners from Sunday's Fight Night in Porto Alegre found themselves in the top 15. The wave of underdog win read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 22 views

Former UFC fighter Josh Neer uploaded a video to YouTube recently that depicts him beating up a man who he claimed was a heckler on Facebook. read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 9 views

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt delves into his loss to Fabricio Werdum last year. read news >>