UFC releases statement on Chael Sonnen's second failed drug test


chael-sonnen-ufc-148

SAN ANTONIO – In the wake of news announcing another failed drug test for three-time title challenger Chael Sonnen, the UFC released a statement largely mirroring its previous responses to high-profile failures.

The industry-leading promotion deferred the matter to the state athletic commission which oversaw the test – in this case the Nevada State Athletic Commission – and said it would take its own measures to stamp out the use of banned substances.

“We were made aware that a second random test, conducted earlier this month, resulted in a positive test for additional banned substances,” said a statement read by Dave Sholler, the UFC’s Senior Director of Public Relations, at the post-event news conference for UFC Fight Night 44 in San Antonio. “Chael will have the opportunity to appear in front of the Nevada athletic commission next month, and through a statement released to media tonight, he’s pledged to cooperate.

“Our stance on the subject remains absolutely the same: We support the commission and we will continue to ensure that all UFC competitors compete on an even playing field, free of performance-enhancing drugs and banned substances.”

This past week, Sonnen was flagged for four banned substances – human growth hormone (HGH), recombinant human erythropoietin, anastrozole and human chorionic gonadotropin – in a second random drug test ordered by the NSAC for his scheduled fight with Vitor Belfort at UFC 175. Sonnen came up positive for another pair of banned substances, anastrozole and human chorionic gonadotropin, in his first test conducted in late May.

Following the first failure, Sonnen was yanked from the July 5 pay-per-view event and Belfort, who replaced original opponent Wanderlei Silva after the ex-PRIDE champ evaded a random test, was scratched altogether from the card.

In a statement to MMAFighting, which first reported the test failure, Sonnen said the NSAC was aware of “other prescribed medications” he was taking and pledged cooperation with the commission. Next month, the NSAC will address his case during a hearing.

“I will cooperate with the Commission and look forward to having a dialogue about how fighters who transition off TRT can avoid violating any rules,” Sonnen wrote in the statement.

For more on UFC 175, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 92 views

Zuffa has informed Nick Diaz that he has violated the company's UFC Fighter Conduct Policy. Both Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz failed drug tests for their UFC 183 bout. The latter tested positive yet read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 10 views

Anderson Silva's failed drug test has been the biggest story post-UFC 183. Needless to say, that his former challenger and long-time rival Chael Sonnen has an opinion about it to share. Chael Sonnen read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 109 views

After the mixed martial arts (MMA) community collectively let out a gasp at the news that Anderson Silva had tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in a pre-fight screening for his UFC 183 b read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 140 views

The UFC issued a statement on Tuesday regarding the failed pre-fight drug test for Anderson Silva. Here is the promotion's full statement. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 5 views

Nick Diaz is no stranger to Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) disciplinary hearings. In fact, he and his attorney, Jonathan Tweedale, presented such a strong argument about marijuana use back i read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 13 views

The UFC issued a statement on Tuesday regarding the failed post-fight drug test for Nick Diaz. Here is the promotion's full statement. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 9 views

Anderson Silva failed an out-of-competition pre-fight drug test administered by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) nearly one month before his victory over Nick Diaz at UFC 183. Updates on Silva read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 10 views

While former UFC middleweight and light heavyweight title contender Chael Sonnen is still banned from the Octagon, he might just be poised to start appearing in the squared circle. Speaking on Off th read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 999 views

Chael Sonnen shared a possible reason on why Anderson Silva failed his drug test. Chael Sonnen, who has fought Anderson Silva twice, has now shared an interesting theory on a possible reason on why t read news >>