UFC releases official statement on Wanderlei Silva's 'issues,' Vitor Belfort vs Chael Sonnen decision


Once the decision is read it is final ... we think.

Wanderlei Silva "can't believe it," Chael Sonnen "predicted it" and Vitor Belfort is "covered by the blood of Jesus."

Just another day for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

In case you haven't heard, Silva was scratched from UFC 175, which takes place at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on July 5, 2014, earlier this evening because he is without a Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC)-issued license to compete in "Sin City" on Fourth of July weekend.

And, in the process, his long-awaited grudge match against his mortal enemy -- and The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Brazil 3" coaching counterpart -- is likely lost forever.

Enter "The Phenom," who will put his No. 1 Middleweight contender status on the line against the self-proclaimed "American Gangster" in a 205-pound showdown.

Sonnen suggested Silva was dodging mandatory drug tests during an appearance on "UFC Tonight," which just might signal an end to his UFC career. There is nothing to corroborate that sentiment at this time, with UFC issuing a rather ho-hum statement once all the dust settled.

Its official comments:

"Due to issues related to Wanderlei Silva’s licensing in the state of Nevada, the UFC was forced to seek a replacement opponent to face Chael Sonnen at UFC 175 on Saturday, July 5 in Las Vegas. Former UFC champion Vitor Belfort has accepted the fight with Sonnen, subject to Belfort receiving a license to compete from the Nevada Athletic Commission."

It's important to note that Belfort must still be issued a similar license to fight in Nevada, which he applied for last week. In recent comments to ESPN.com, UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta is confident that Belfort will get the green light from NSAC once its June 17, 2014, meeting concludes.

His prediction:

"From our understanding, he's said he's off the therapy 100 percent. I know he's voluntarily done testing every week and every test has come back normal.... He is going through the process of submitting an application to Nevada and, based on the criteria we've seen for other fighters [who were on TRT], he's no different. He should be eligible to be licensed in my opinion."

Time will tell, but in the meantime, UFC 175's fight card (see it here) is (still) subject to change.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 47 views

The former UFC middleweight contender spoke with MMAmania.com to help promote his upcoming gig as analyst for Battlegrounds O.N.E. on October 3, 2014 alongside wrestling legend Jim Ross. With the rec read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 95 views

Wanderlei Silva recently came out of nowhere and announced his retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA), bashing his longtime employers over at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in the process. Se read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 22 views

According to "The Axe Murderer", a producer told him during the show to "heat things up somehow". Wanderlei Silva told Band Television that his brawl with Chael Sonnen was motivated by a request from read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 16 views

Chael Sonnen says he forgives Wanderlei Silva for the PED issues during the lead up to their bout. Chael Sonnen recently spoke to MMA Mania about Wanderlei Silva's recent issues with the commissions. read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 95 views

In a very Chael Sonnen-esque creative justification for his actions, former UFC title contender Chael Sonnen believes he and PRIDE legend Wanderlei Silva were simply victims of circumstance in MMA's read news >>

  • 18 hours ago
  • 40 views

The confidant to many a UFC athlete, famed nutritionist Mike Dolce chalks much of the work he does with fighters as simply 'reacting to the body.' With the UFC's ban of testosterone replacement thera read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 17 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 36 views

On Tuesday, the Nevada Athletic Commission issued Wanderlei Silva a lifetime ban and fined him $70,000 for dodging a drug test prior to his UFC 175 bout against Chael Sonnen. read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 66 views

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil -- Anderson Silva has fought the who's who of the middleweight division, and he believes one of his former opponents might be the one to dethrone current UFC 185-pound champion read news >>