Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

Matt Mitrione

Matt Mitrione continued his climb in the UFC heavyweight division with another knockout victory. The former NFL lineman finished Christian Morecraft with strikes in the second round.

“The kid is a scrapper, he’s a gamer, and he’s going to come out ready to go. I throw them, and I land them heavy, so if he can take a couple to the face repeatedly, good for him, but I’m sure I’m going to test his chin. I promise,” Mitrione told MMAWeekly prior to his fight.

And test his chin he did.

Mitrione dropped Morecraft with a straight left just past a minute in the opening round.  A composed Mitrione let Morecraft back up.  “Meathead” rocked Morecraft a few minutes later with a combination that put him on the mat.  The 32-year-old heavyweight followed him down immediately, but Morecraft reversed the takedown and hung on for dear life until the round ended.

Morecraft took Mitrione down in the second stanza, but the two fighters were stood back up due to inactivity.  A right-left-right combination put Morecraft on the mat for good; Mitrione was so confident in the knockout that he didn’t bother following his opponent to the ground.

“All I have to say about my hands is… I piss excellence.  I just get used to it.  I piss excellence. I’m sorry everybody, that’s what I do,” jested Mitrione after the fight.

“I thought he was out earlier in the first.  When I realized he wasn’t, he kind of opened up a bit.  This time I saw his eyes roll back and I knew he was done,” commented Mitrione about his handy work.

So what the does the future hold for Matt Mitrione?

“I love challenges.  I thought Morecraft was a challenge.  He brought a totally different dimension from what I’ve seen.  So whatever the boss says is what I’m going to say ‘yes’ to.”

WSOF Continues Signing Spree, Inks Deal with Ramsey Nijem

World Series of Fighting continued its signing spree on Monday, announcing it had inked a deal with UFC veteran Ramsey Nijem. read news >>

ONE Headliner Ev Ting: ‘I’m Gonna Punch Him and He’s Gonna Fall Over’

Ev Ting will be moving up a division to face Rob Lisita in the main event of ONE: Unbreakable Warriors this weekend, but he's not lacking in confidence. read news >>

Alaska's Mitchell hoping to jolt Ultimate Fighter rivals

In a flyweight division that doesn’t have the amount of finishes other divisions do, Anchorage, Alaska's Terrence Mitchell is one of those people that can immediately provide a jolt as he enters seas read news >>

Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans Set for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Kennedy will return to the Octagon to welcome Rashad Evans to the middleweight division at UFC 205. read news >>

Joanne Calderwood vs. Jessica Andrade Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

The strawweight division was put on notice after Jessica Andrade (15-5) dispatched Jessica Penne at UFC 199, and now the upper echelon is on red alert. Andrade walked through Joanne Calderwood (11-3) read news >>

UFC Fight Night 94 Results: Winners, Scorecards for Poirier vs. Johnson Card

The UFC lightweight division has a new title contender in Michael Johnson. It didn't take long for Johnson to show the world he means business in this division, knocking out Poirier after 95 seconds. read news >>

Derek Brunson Blasts Uriah Hall in Fast Finish (UFC Hidalgo Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Middleweight contenders Uriah Hall and Derek Brunson clashed in the UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Johnson co-main event on Saturday in Hidalgo, Texas. read news >>

Goodbye Gridlock: UFC's Top 10 Middleweights All Fight in Next 2 Months

It’s hard to believe, but the UFC middleweight division has never really recovered from Anderson Silva losing his title back in 2013. Once a pillar of consistency during Silva’s near seven-year reign read news >>

CES MMA 38's Rico DiSciullo wants slow climb to UFC – starting with win on mom's birthday

• a day ago

In an era when fighters sometimes appear in the UFC octagon for their first or second professional fights, Rico DiSciullo has a refreshing perspective on not only what it takes to get on the UFC rost read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 results: Roy Nelson blasts 'Bigfoot' for second-round KO, then blasts ref McCarthy

• 7 hours ago

BRASILIA, Brazil – Antonio Silva approached Roy Nelson with all the caution you’d expect for a veteran with his back against the wall. And initially, he had the right approach. Filed under: Featured, read news >>