Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

Matt Mitrione

Matt Mitrione continued his climb in the UFC heavyweight division with another knockout victory. The former NFL lineman finished Christian Morecraft with strikes in the second round.

“The kid is a scrapper, he’s a gamer, and he’s going to come out ready to go. I throw them, and I land them heavy, so if he can take a couple to the face repeatedly, good for him, but I’m sure I’m going to test his chin. I promise,” Mitrione told MMAWeekly prior to his fight.

And test his chin he did.

Mitrione dropped Morecraft with a straight left just past a minute in the opening round.  A composed Mitrione let Morecraft back up.  “Meathead” rocked Morecraft a few minutes later with a combination that put him on the mat.  The 32-year-old heavyweight followed him down immediately, but Morecraft reversed the takedown and hung on for dear life until the round ended.

Morecraft took Mitrione down in the second stanza, but the two fighters were stood back up due to inactivity.  A right-left-right combination put Morecraft on the mat for good; Mitrione was so confident in the knockout that he didn’t bother following his opponent to the ground.

“All I have to say about my hands is… I piss excellence.  I just get used to it.  I piss excellence. I’m sorry everybody, that’s what I do,” jested Mitrione after the fight.

“I thought he was out earlier in the first.  When I realized he wasn’t, he kind of opened up a bit.  This time I saw his eyes roll back and I knew he was done,” commented Mitrione about his handy work.

So what the does the future hold for Matt Mitrione?

“I love challenges.  I thought Morecraft was a challenge.  He brought a totally different dimension from what I’ve seen.  So whatever the boss says is what I’m going to say ‘yes’ to.”

From Around the Web

Rampage Jackson fires back at Bellator injunction: 'I never received any paperwork'

Former UFC champion Rampage Jackson blasts his former promotion Bellator over a last minute injunction they have filed in an attempt to stop him from fighting at UFC 186. Bellator MMA have filed an i read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62's Ryan LaFlare believes he can beat anyone in the welterweight division

When Ryan LaFlare meets Demian Maia in the main event of UFC Fight Night 62 it will be the biggest fight of his career and a situation in which he believes he belongs.Filed under: Featured Videos, Ne read news >>

State of the Union: UFC Lightweight Division

In preparation for lightweight title contention on March 14th, UFC Middleweight Josh Samman takes a look at the king of the mountain, as well as the top ten challengers looking to dethrone him. Champ read news >>

Report: Carlos Condit vs. Thiago Alves targeted for late May

Two mainstays of the UFC welterweight division, Carlos Condit and Thiago Alves, could be facing off at UFC Fight Night 67 in May. It appears that former UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condi read news >>

Matt Mitrione doesn't like Alistair Overeem 'as a human being'

UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione says that he's not a fan of fellow competitor and former teammate Alistair Overeem. Matt Mitrione is well-known as a guy that speaks his mind. It has gotten him in troub read news >>

UFC Full Fight Video Flashback: Demian Maia Submits Rick Story | MMAWeekly.com

UFC veteran and No. 7 welterweight Demian Maia continued his climb up the rankings as he took on Rick Story at UFC 153. read news >>

Adriano Moraes Continues to Dominate ONE Championship’s Flyweight Division with Decision Win | MMAWeekly.com

ONE Championship flyweight titleholder Adriano Moraes continued his domination with a win at Friday's "Age of Champions" in Kuala Lumpur. read news >>

UFC 185 results, photos: UFC's next Irish star? Joseph Duffy blasts past Jake Lindsey

DALLAS – Joseph Duffy certainly looked like the man who’d once schooled fellow Irishman Conor McGregor. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Carla Esparza vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk: Winner, Scorecard, Reaction from UFC 185

The UFC Women's Strawweight division has its second champion in just five months. Joanna Jedrzejczyk took the distinction from Carla Esparza via second-round TKO at the co-main event of UFC 185 in Da read news >>