Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

Matt Mitrione

Matt Mitrione continued his climb in the UFC heavyweight division with another knockout victory. The former NFL lineman finished Christian Morecraft with strikes in the second round.

“The kid is a scrapper, he’s a gamer, and he’s going to come out ready to go. I throw them, and I land them heavy, so if he can take a couple to the face repeatedly, good for him, but I’m sure I’m going to test his chin. I promise,” Mitrione told MMAWeekly prior to his fight.

And test his chin he did.

Mitrione dropped Morecraft with a straight left just past a minute in the opening round.  A composed Mitrione let Morecraft back up.  “Meathead” rocked Morecraft a few minutes later with a combination that put him on the mat.  The 32-year-old heavyweight followed him down immediately, but Morecraft reversed the takedown and hung on for dear life until the round ended.

Morecraft took Mitrione down in the second stanza, but the two fighters were stood back up due to inactivity.  A right-left-right combination put Morecraft on the mat for good; Mitrione was so confident in the knockout that he didn’t bother following his opponent to the ground.

“All I have to say about my hands is… I piss excellence.  I just get used to it.  I piss excellence. I’m sorry everybody, that’s what I do,” jested Mitrione after the fight.

“I thought he was out earlier in the first.  When I realized he wasn’t, he kind of opened up a bit.  This time I saw his eyes roll back and I knew he was done,” commented Mitrione about his handy work.

So what the does the future hold for Matt Mitrione?

“I love challenges.  I thought Morecraft was a challenge.  He brought a totally different dimension from what I’ve seen.  So whatever the boss says is what I’m going to say ‘yes’ to.”

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Winner, Recap, Reaction from Invicta FC 15

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino's scorched-earth campaign through Invicta FC's featherweight division continued at Invicta 15 with the champion defeating Daria Ibragimova in the main event via first-round read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: Patrick Cote Stops Ben Saunders, Calls Out Nick Diaz

Patrick Cote continued his resurrection on Sunday night in Boston, defeating Ben Saunders, and then calling out Nick Diaz. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 results: Travis Browne stops Matt Mitrione with third round TKO

BOSTON – Two eye pokes from Travis Browne flustered Matt Mitrione at UFC Fight Night 81, but it was a right hand that left Mitrione’s eye badly swollen before a third round TKO.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Results: Travis Browne Finishes Matt Mitrione by TKO

Sixth-ranked heavyweight Travis Browne rebounded from his loss to Andrei Arlovski in May by putting 14th-ranked Matt Mitrione away at UFC Fight Night 81 in Boston on Sunday. read news >>

Matt Mitrione’s Eye is All Sorts of Jacked Up!

Check out heavyweight Matt Mitrione's eye after his third-round TKO loss to Travis Browne at UFC Fight Night 81 in Boston. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 Video Highlights: Travis Browne vs. Matt Mitrione

Watch the video highlights of the UFC Fight Night 81 bout between Travis Browne and Matt Mitrione. read news >>

Matt Mitrione's eye looks like something out of 'Star Wars' after UFC Fight Night 81

Matt Mitrione’s right eye took an ungodly amount of abuse in his UFC Fight Night 81 loss to Travis Browne. First, Browne landed a pair of eye pokes that had Mitrione telling the referee he was seeing read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81: Travis Browne vs. Matt Mitrione video highlights

When MMA fans look back on Travis Browne’s win over Matt Mitrione, it will likely be Mitrione’s eye that sticks in the memory. A thudding punch from Browne caused grotesque swelling over Mitrione’s r read news >>

Travis Browne Beats Matt Mitrione in Foul-Filled Fight at UFC Fight Night 81

Matt Mitrione and Travis Browne entered UFC Fight Night 81 at a career crossroads. Mitrione walked into the cage with free agency in mind. Openly discussing his intent to test the market, this bout w read news >>

Fighting dirty? Travis Browne says no ill will intended in Matt Mitrione win

BOSTON – Travis Browne wrapped up a victory at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 event, but at the post-fight press conference, he seemed to be still processing what exactly happened.Filed under: Featured read news >>