Matt Mitrione at UFC 119

Matt Mitrione

Matt Mitrione continued his climb in the UFC heavyweight division with another knockout victory. The former NFL lineman finished Christian Morecraft with strikes in the second round.

“The kid is a scrapper, he’s a gamer, and he’s going to come out ready to go. I throw them, and I land them heavy, so if he can take a couple to the face repeatedly, good for him, but I’m sure I’m going to test his chin. I promise,” Mitrione told MMAWeekly prior to his fight.

And test his chin he did.

Mitrione dropped Morecraft with a straight left just past a minute in the opening round.  A composed Mitrione let Morecraft back up.  “Meathead” rocked Morecraft a few minutes later with a combination that put him on the mat.  The 32-year-old heavyweight followed him down immediately, but Morecraft reversed the takedown and hung on for dear life until the round ended.

Morecraft took Mitrione down in the second stanza, but the two fighters were stood back up due to inactivity.  A right-left-right combination put Morecraft on the mat for good; Mitrione was so confident in the knockout that he didn’t bother following his opponent to the ground.

“All I have to say about my hands is… I piss excellence.  I just get used to it.  I piss excellence. I’m sorry everybody, that’s what I do,” jested Mitrione after the fight.

“I thought he was out earlier in the first.  When I realized he wasn’t, he kind of opened up a bit.  This time I saw his eyes roll back and I knew he was done,” commented Mitrione about his handy work.

So what the does the future hold for Matt Mitrione?

“I love challenges.  I thought Morecraft was a challenge.  He brought a totally different dimension from what I’ve seen.  So whatever the boss says is what I’m going to say ‘yes’ to.”

Morning Report: Matt Mitrione blasts 'sellout' Matt Hughes for calling Nick Diaz 'a punk'

As you may have heard, UFC welterweight Nick Diaz was suspended five years by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) earlier this week due to a controversial failed drug test for marijuana metabolites. read news >>

Matt Mitrione blasts 'sellout' UFC exec Matt Hughes for comments on Nick Diaz

Twitter Beef: Matt Mitrione isn't happy with the fighter turned UFC executive for calling Nick Diaz a punk while addressing the situation. On Thursday evening, Matt Hughes commented on Nick Diaz's ri read news >>

Ronda Rousey blasts 'unfair' Diaz ban: PED users get a slap on the wrist!

Ronda Rousey is upset at the Nevada Athletic Commission after suspending Nick Diaz for 5 years. She believes they shouldn't even be testing for marijuana. Several fighters have spoken out about the r read news >>

Is TJ Dillashaw vs. Dominick Cruz the UFC’s Bantamweight Big Bang?

Is the TJ Dillashaw vs. Dominick Cruz title fight the UFC's bantamweight big bang, blasting the division into prominence. read news >>

Andrei Arlovski blasts fans following UFC 191 backlash: Not to be rude, but f--k you!

UFC heavyweight contender Andrei Arlovski has a few choice words for fight fans who were critical of his performance against Frank Mir at UFC 191 earlier this month in Las Vegas (watch it). In short: read news >>

VIDEO: Nick Diaz Blasts Nevada ‘Dork Court’ for 5-Year Suspension Over Pot

After the Nevada Commission handed him a five-year ban, Nick Diaz met with and the rest of the media to lambaste the commission for its treatment of him. read news >>

Brad Pickett launches U.K. based promotion called Rise of Champions

Though his return to the bantamweight division didn’t end as he might have liked, Brad Pickett still put on a great show against 24-year old Thomas Almeida at UFC 189. Against steep odds, Pickett loo read news >>

Invicta FC 14 results: Tonya Evinger stops overweight Pannie Kianzad in headliner

Bantamweight champion Tonya Evinger continued to display her dominance over Invicta FC’s bantamweight division when she stopped Pannie Kianza with strikes in the second round of the Invicta FC 14 non read news >>

Matt Mitrione says Mayweather doesn't belong on P4P list; calls out Travis Browne

Matt Mitrione was recently interviewed by the Three Amigos Podcast where he gave his fight prediction and ranked Money Mayweather on the P4P greatest list, and even issued a call-out to Travis Browne read news >>

Tim Sylvia Blasts Dana White, Recalls Potential Brock Lesnar Bout

It's hard to remember an MMA career more turbulent than Tim Sylvia's. The two-time UFC heavyweight champion, who pairs wins over Andrei Arlovski and Ben Rothwell with losses to Abe Wagner and aged ex read news >>