On the heels of the finals of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix taking place in San Jose, the UFC will return to the host city of UFC 139 as they bring UFC on Fuel 4 on Wednesday, July 11.
San Jose’s HP Pavilion will serves as the host venue for a night of fights that will air on Fuel TV, headlined by a five round bout in the middleweight division as Mark Munoz takes on Chris Weidman.
Munoz, who is returning from elbow surgery, will look to get back on the title path as he faces another top notch wrestler looking to get a shot at the UFC middleweight belt.
Chris Weidman, an undefeated prospect who trains under former UFC champion Matt Serra, has been a fast riser in the UFC’s middleweight division since debuting in 2011.
Now the two former collegiate wrestlers will face off in a five round main event that could serve as a title eliminator fight in the UFC’s 185lb weight class.
Several other fights have also been confirmed for the upcoming card on July 11 including:
• Light heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. James Te Huna
• Welterweight bout: San Jose’s Jon Fitch vs. Aaron Simpson
• Middleweight bout: Karlos Vemola vs. Francis Carmont
• Bantamweight bout: Sacramento’s TJ Dillashaw vs. Vaughan Lee
• Lightweight bout: Paul Taylor vs. Anthony Njokuani
Tickets go on sale for the show on Thursday, May 24