ronaldo-jacare-souza-14.jpgJARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza (18-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) put Chris Camozzi (19-6 MMA, 6-3 UFC) to sleep in incredibly quick fashion at UFC on FX 8, but the Brazilian submission ace said he knew what was going to happen as soon as he locked in the fight-finishing arm-triangle choke.

“All my life I was very good in that move; now I’m really practicing it a lot,” Souza said through an interpreter at Saturday night’s post-event press conference. “I’m also doing a lot of cardio work, so obviously I’m much stronger. When I held my opponent, I heard his neck snapping, so I knew he was either going to tap out or pass out.”

Souza met Camozzi, who replaced an injured Constantinos Philippou, at this weekend’s UFC on FX 8 event, which took place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil.

The night’s co-main event had a special feel from the minute Souza’s walk-in music hit the speakers. While the entrance wasn’t broadcast on the evening’s FX-televised main card, Souza danced and sang as he walked in, and much of the crowd took part in a round of his trademarked alligator clap.

“The emotion I felt when I was going into the cage, there are no words to explain it,” Souza said. “I could just tell I was exploding with happiness. So when I walked in, and I heard the crowd, there was a moment when I just started jumping, and I said, ‘Now I cannot let this crowd down. This crowd is fantastic, and I have to do my best.’

“That’s what happened. I did my best, and I got a submission.”

Perhaps surprisingly, while the end did come on the floor, it started on the feet. A right hand wobbled Camozzi, allowing Souza to score the takedown that ultimately led to the finish when his opponent was choked unconscious.

“I started moving very well when I was standing, but when I realized that he didn’t respect my hands, I showed him my calling card,” Souza said. “And when he went down, I just did the groundwork very easily. I knew that sooner or later, something would be there for me, and that’s what happened. I was able to submit him.”

Souza pocketed an extra $50,000 for his work by scoring the “Submission of the Night” bonus. Prior to the evening’s main event, he admitted he’d be happy to face the winner of the middleweight headliner between Vitor Belfort and Luke Rockhold. Belfort, of course, proved victorious, but Souza said he doesn’t necessarily see a fight with “The Phenom” in the cards right now.

“I’m a real professional, and I think that rivalry is just natural,” Souza said. “If I have to fight against him, I’ll fight against him. But I’m still not ready to fight Vitor. Vitor is just ready to go for a title bout, so I hope one day to be ready and be competent. If the UFC thinks I’m ready, I’ll do it. I’ll fight happily with the champion Vitor Belfort. But I just said it because we don’t want to get the loser. We want to get the winner.”

So while he waits for his next assignment, he’ll enjoy the fruits of his first UFC win.

When I had him in the position, I was sure he would tap out because I was really tight. I felt his neck kind of getting slimmer, so I was sure he was going to tap out. I was just like celebrating already. You know that fantastic, perfect move? That’s what I felt. I felt it was a perfect move. So I really practiced a lot – 200, 300 – every day I tried to do it, and when we get the hold, I’m sure we’re going to get it, and that’s what happened.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Dana White: Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew Ronda Rousey's father committed suicide before comments

Ronda Rousey is partly fueled at UFC 190 by comments Bethe Correia made about Rousey possibly killing herself if she loses. Rousey's father committed suicide when she was a child. Correia has apologi read news >>

Dana White: Correia 'absolutely' knew Rousey's father committed suicide

Dana White says Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew about Ronda Rousey's father committing suicide before she made the suicide insult. Earlier in May, bantamweight title challenger Bethe Correia may have read news >>

Watch UFC 190 fights online: Fight Pass, FOX Sport 1 'Prelims' channel finder

Prior to the "Rousey vs. Correia" mixed martial arts (MMA) pay-per-view (PPV) main card, which begins later this evening (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) at 10 p.m. ET, live from HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Br read news >>

UFC 190 results: 'Rousey vs Correia' full play-by-play recaps for Fight Pass 'Prelims'

Ultimate Fighting Championship heads back to Brazil for the UFC 190 pay-per-view (PPV) event, which takes place TONIGHT (Sat., Aug. 1, 2015) inside HSBC Arena, featuring a women's Bantamweight title read news >>

Jake Shields outraged at Rousimar Palhares: ‘What he did was absolutely blatant cheating'

LAS VEGAS -- Jake Shields knew what he was getting into when he signed up to fight Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 22, but what transpired Saturday night was even beyond what he could'v read news >>

Jake Shields knew Rousimar Palhares was 'a dirty cheater, but I wasn't ready for eye-gouges'

LAS VEGAS – Once or twice? Perhaps he could overlook it. But at least eight “blatant” eye-gouges? That’s where Jake Shields drew the line with WSOF welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares.Filed under read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 'Prelims:' Fight Pass undercard preview and predictions, Pt. 1

More fights are coming to Fight Pass and FOX Sports 1 (and 2) this weekend (Sat., Aug. 8, 2015) when UFC Fight Night 73: “Teixeira vs. St. Preux” kicks off from Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, Tennesse read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 'Prelims:' FOX Sports 2 undercard preview and predictions, Pt. 2

Titan FC 35 set for Sept. 19 with trio of title bouts on UFC Fight Pass

With its first event on UFC Fight Pass in the books, Titan FC returns next month for a card featuring three title fights. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux - Idiot's Guide Preview to the FS2/Fight Pass Prelims

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about an undercard that inexplicable has Sara McMann on it this August 8, 2015 in Nashville. Superior fighters to the main card get buried read news >>