UFC on FX 8 results/photos: Vitor Belfort blasts Luke Rockhold via wheel kick


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

JARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – The young dinosaur continues to put away young lions.

Known for his lightning-fast hands, former UFC champion Vitor Belfort shocked ex-Strikeforce titleholder Luke Rockhold with a wheel kick before fully removing him from consciousness in the first round.

The middleweight bout headlined Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 event at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Santa Catarina, Brazil. It aired on FX following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Belfort’s highlight-reel performance marked the second time he’s used a kick to bring a fight to a swift halt. In his previous outing, he dispatched top contender Michael Bisping with a head kick and punches.

Like Bisping, Rockhold, who relinquished his Strikeforce belt when the promotion folded shop earlier this year, hoped to cement his status as a UFC contender. Instead, he found himself a victim of Belfort’s pinpoint striking when referee Leon Roberts waved off the fight at the 2:32 mark of the first round.

“The Phenom,” who months prior to the fight was told he needed several knockout wins to get another title shot at Anderson Silva’s belt, declined to use his victory to ask the UFC to reconsider. But the promotion may end up doing just that.

“I’m here to fight,” he told the cheering crowd. “I don’t pick fights. I accept fights.”

Rockhold was a slight betting favorite heading into the headliner, which ended a contentious buildup between the middleweights. Rockhold blasted Belfort’s use of doctor-prescribed testosterone and got in Belfort’s face at the weigh-ins.

But afterward, he gave Belfort respect.

“He landed a spinning heel kick to the head,” Rockhold said. “Kudos to him.”

Belfort attempted the kick he used to end the fight early in the first frame, but Rockhold managed to elude it. The Strikeforce vet shot early for a takedown but was rebuffed. The two continued to snipe at each other before Belfort’s sudden explosion.

Belfort (23-10 MMA, 12-6 UFC) now boasts back-to-back victories in the middleweight division following an unsuccessful attempt at light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones’ belt. Rockhold (10-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC), who hadn’t fought in 10 months prior to UFC on FX 8, sees a nine-fight win streak snapped.

Up-to-the-minute UFC on FX 8 results include:

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan contributed to this report on-site in Jaragua do Sul.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 15 days ago
  • 38 views

Top-ranked middleweight contender Luke Rockhold has been cleared to resume training after recovering from a broken toe in his right foot, MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight. A former Strikeforce champion, Rockhold (12-2) suffered the injury midway through his dominant UFC 172 performance over Tim Boetsch, which he won in a little over two minutes via an inverted triangle/kimura. The 29-year-old AKA product is currently the No. 5 ranked middleweight in the UFC, and including more

  • 29 days ago
  • 93 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

  • 24 days ago
  • 67 views

Because Brazil is the one place Belfort can still get licensed lickety-split. Lyoto Machida has a chance to capture the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight title this Saturday night (July 5, 2014) when he fights Chris Weidman in the UFC 175 pay-per-view (PPV) main event, which goes down inside Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. But Vitor Belfort can only see the "All American." That means "The Phenom" will be waiting for Weidman at the conclusion of this weekend's mix more

  • 21 days ago
  • 50 views

Chris Weidman sat down with the Media during the build up to 175 and talked about the recent rash of drug test failures in the UFC, and he had some harsh words for Vitor Belfort most particularly. more

  • 19 days ago
  • 8 views

Chris Weidman defended his UFC middleweight title for the second time at UFC 175, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida. It was an excellent fight that pushed Weidman further than he had ever gone before. The champion got the nod on all three judges' scorecards to retain the title. With another contender down, who will be next up for Weidman? At the UFC post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White brought up the name Vitor Belfort. Belfort is currently the No. 2-ranked contend more

  • 19 days ago
  • 17 views

On Saturday night, Chris Weidman stepped in the cage looking to defend his middleweight title against the former light heavyweight champion, Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida. After an intense, back-and-forth battle, which won Fight of the Night, Weidman was declared the winner by unanimous decision (49-45, 48-47, 49-46). At the post-fight press conference, Dana White was asked about Weidman's next possible fight, and the name that White gave was another former light heavyweight champion, Vitor "The Ph more

  • 18 days ago
  • 11 views

Perennial UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort feels he's been waiting on the sidelines for too long and is ready for another crack at UFC gold. Following 185-pound champ Chris Weidman's hard-fought win by decision over Lyoto Machida at UFC 175 Saturday night, "The Phenom" was quick to make it known on Twitter that he wants the next shot at "The All-American": Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT — Vitor Belfo more

  • 18 days ago
  • 38 views

Vitor Belfort could miss out once again on a shot at UFC middleweight champ Chris Weidman due to pending issues with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The Brazilian legend was originally slated to fight Weidman at UFC 173, but he was removed from the card and replaced with Lyoto Machida after the NSAC banned the use of testosterone replacement therapy, a treatment Belfort was on. The fight ended up being moved to UFC 175 after Weidman suffered a knee injury in training. Belfort was then give more

  • 18 days ago
  • 43 views

It didn't take long after the judges announced Chris Weidman had retained his belt for Vitor Belfort to call out the champion. Following his unanimous decision win over Lyoto Machida, Weidman was the target of a Belfort Twitter call out for a title shot. If you remember, Belfort was supposed to be in the UFC 175 main event opposite Weidman, but he was flagged for high testosterone levels in a pre-fight screening and subsequently removed from the main event. Belfort, who has challenged for the ti more