anthony-smith-1.jpgThere’s one thing we can be reasonably sure about when it comes to Anthony Smith: The man isn’t lacking confidence.

Smith (17-9 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meets Antonio Braga Neto (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday at UFC on FUEL TV 10 in Brazil, and “Lionheart” recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he knows he belongs in the UFC after his run in Strikeforce.

On Thursday, with his debut against Neto just two days away, he upped the ante by telling MMAjunkie.com Radio he’s seen his opponent this week in Brazil. There’s little doubt in Smith’s mind that he already has the upper hand.

“I can already tell – I can see it in his face that he’s not sure,” Smith said from Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil, where he fights Neto at Paulo Sarasate Arena on a Facebook stream ahead of the main card on FUEL TV. “When I see him in the lobby and we’re walking around, the fight’s not on my mind. I’m confident and I know what I’m going to do. But you can tell on his face he’s not sure he can beat me. He’s fighting two fights – he’s fighting with himself, and he’s fighting me, too. He’ll look at me out of the corner of his eye and look down.”

So Smith is confident he has a mental edge right out of the gate, even though he’s the underdog in the fight and he’s facing a Brazilian on a Brazilian’s home turf.

But he also is confident that before he can get his hand raised, he’s going to be in for a good little scrap – and the three cageside judges? They might as well wait back in the dressing room.

“They don’t need to worry about coming till the second fight, that’s for sure,” Smith said. “There’s no way this is going the distance, I promise. It’s going to be fireworks and I guarantee we’re going to come across the cage fast and we’re going to see who’s tougher.”

Smith went 2-2 for Strikeforce, including a second-round submission loss to Roger Gracie at the promotion’s finale in January. Still, the UFC took him on.

That the UFC was confident in his skill set should say something. But Smith still has fans who don’t believe he’s up to snuff. And therein lies the challenge of trying to push the negativity to the side, which he usually is pretty good at.

“I try not to (pay attention to the fans),” he said. “I get a lot of good press, but I get a lot of negative reactions from the fans. I’m not sure why that is, but I try to not pay attention to it too much.”

So far in Brazil, despite being an American about to fight a home-country fighter, he said he’s received a relatively warm welcome. That may not be the same on fight night for his walk to the cage.

But if things go the way Smith plans, the Brazilian crowd will be won over by his performance and heart.

“I assumed I was going to have to some people not on my side just because I’m fighting a Brazilian,” he said. “But I’ve always heard Brazilian fans are just MMA fans, and I knew it wasn’t going to take much for me to win them over, anyway.

“I feel like I may get booed on my way in, but I guarantee I’m going to get cheered on my way out.”

For the latest on UFC on FUEL TV 10, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Rose Namajunas Sees Title Shot on Horizon if She Beats Tecia Torres (Video)

  • 24 days ago
  • 7 views

In this exclusive interview, Rose Namajunas says she believes a title shot is in the offing for the winner of her UFC on FOX 19 bout with Tecia Torres. read news >>

Once overconfident, Rose Namajunas believes best is yet to come (Yahoo Sports)

  • 22 days ago
  • 6 views

From Yahoo Sports: Namajunas started to believe the hype and it cost her against Tecia Torres. The 23-year-old gets a shot to avenge that loss on Saturday. read news >>

Once overconfident, Rose Namajunas believes best is yet to come (Yahoo Sports)

  • 22 days ago
  • 6 views

From Yahoo Sports: Namajunas started to believe the hype and it cost her against Tecia Torres. The 23-year-old gets a shot to avenge that loss on Saturday. read news >>

Expect the Best Matt Lopez Ever Heading into RFA 37

  • 21 days ago
  • 5 views

Undefeated Matt Lopez believes he's in the midst of an MMA growth spurt, and intends to show it in his RFA 37 bout with Eli Finn. read news >>

Leandro Higo believes RFA 37 will earn him the call to a major promotion

  • 20 days ago
  • 7 views

Leandro Higo is certain Friday’s RFA 37 event is the moment things finally get going in the right direction. He’s been on the cusp before, but this time things are different.Filed under: AXS TV Fight read news >>

Chris Barnett Says He Has the Smarts to Beat ‘Baby Fedor’ at RIZIN

  • 19 days ago
  • 70 views

Chris "Huggy Bear" Barnett believes he has the smarts to beat the "Baby" version of Fedor at Rizin FF. read news >>

Conor McGregor Made a 'Big Mistake' with UFC Retirement Tweet, Says Chael Sonnen

  • 15 days ago
  • 118 views

Former UFC star Chael Sonnen believes Conor McGregor's retirement tweet was a "big mistake" brought on by the Irishman's desire to negotiate a new deal with the company. The 39-year-old took part in read news >>

Dana White Discusses Conor McGregor Retirement Tweet, Notorious' Future, UFC 200

  • 15 days ago
  • 33 views

UFC president Dana White believes featherweight champion Conor McGregor isn’t retiring and will fight again for the organisation in the next year, and he said the decision to pull the Irishman from t read news >>

Andrew McInnes Has UFC Aspirations… After He Beats Slow, Clunky Tom Gallicchio

  • 13 days ago
  • 3 views

Andrew McInnes believes UFC call-up is inevitable, but first has to beat slow, clunky Tom Gallicchio at Triumph FC. read news >>

VIDEO: Frankie Edgar Wants a Fight for the Real Belt, Believes Conor McGregor Done at 145

  • 10 days ago
  • 33 views

Frankie Edgar believes he and Jose Aldo should be fighting for the vacant featherweight title at UFC 200, because Conor McGregor isn't coming back to 145. read news >>