FORTALEZA, BRAZIL – Why a rash of submissions in the cradle of jiu-jitsu would come as a surprise is anyone’s guess, but Erick Silva wanted to make sure he didn’t miss the party.
In the night’s ninth fight, Silva scored the card’s sixth submission with an armbar stoppage of Jason High just 71 seconds into the bout. The sixth submission of the card tied a UFC record.
The welterweight bout was part of today’s UFC on FUEL TV 10 event at Paulo Sarasate Arena in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil. It aired on FUEL TV following prelims on Facebook.
Standout wrestler High went for a takedown quickly in the first round. But Silva sprawled his way out of it and after a furious ground scramble, he was able to wrap around to take High’s back.
Silva looked like he might go after a triangle choke from High’s back, and High tried to power out of it by getting back to all fours. Silva then appeared to have a shot at a rear-naked choke. But instead, Silva slid to the side and kept after the arm – and it wasn’t long before High had to tap.
“MMA is unpredictable,” Silva said. “We train for four months to fight three rounds, but of course I always want to be there for as little time as possible. Thank God today was that day. I was very focused on the submission and I kind of woke up with the roar of the crowd. The crowd got me very pumped up and excited.”
Silva (15-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) is back in the win column following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jon Fitch in October. High (16-4 MMA, 0-2 UFC) had his seven-fight win streak snapped in his first UFC fight in more than three years.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on FUEL TV 10 results include:
- Erick Silva def. Jason High via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:11
- Daniel Sarafian def. Eddie Mendez via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 2:20
- Rony Jason def. Mike Wilkinson via technical submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 1:24
- Raphael Assucano def. Vaughan Lee via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 1:51
- Felipe Arantes def. Godofredo Castro via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:32
- Ildemar Alcantara def. Leandro Silva via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Rodrigo Damm def. Mizuto Hirota via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Caio Magalhaes def. Karlos Vemola via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:49
- Antonio Braga Neto def. Anthony Smith via submission (kneebar) – Round 1, 1:52
For complete coverage of UFC on FUEL TV 10, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
(Pictured: Erick Silva)
John Morgan contributed to this report on-site in Brazil.