SACRAMENTO – Joe Lauzon dominated Mac Danzig for the better part of three rounds on Saturday night, using a combination of superior jiu-jitsu and brutal elbow strikes to leave Danzig bloody and frustrated by the end of the night, resulting in a unanimous decision victory (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) for Lauzon.
The lightweight bout opened up the main card of today’s UFC on FOX 9 event at Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento. It aired on FOX following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and MMAjunkie.
There was hardly a moment of the bout where Lauzon wasn’t in complete control, particularly when the action hit the mat. Lauzon moved effortlessly into side control and full mount, coming very close to locking up several armbars but settling for opening Danzig’s face with elbows from the top position. By the time it was over, the official announcement was a mere formality.
“You’re only as good as your last fight, and my last fight was terrible,” Lauzon said. “It was completely embarrassing. So to get this win was fantastic and feels great. It’s so much less stressful to fight away from home, and being on the road for this fight helped immensely.”
Danzig (21-12-1 MMA, 5-8 UFC) has now lost three straight in the UFC. Lauzon (23-9 MMA, 10-6 UFC) snaps a two-fight losing streak with the win.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on FOX 9 results include:
- Joe Lauzon def. Mac Danzig via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ryan LaFlare def. Court McGee via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Edson Barboza def. Danny Castillo via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)
- Bobby Green def. Pat Healy via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Zach Makovsky def. Scott Jorgensen via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Sam Stout def. Cody McKenzie via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Abel Trujillo def. Roger Bowling via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:35
- Alp Ozkilic def. Darren Uyenoyama via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 9, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
John Morgan and Steven Marrocco contributed to this report on-site in Sacramento.
view original article >>