mike-chiesa-8.jpgSEATTLE – You could be forgiven if you’re under the belief that a scraggly coyote has taken up permanent residence on Michael Chiesa‘s chin.

Aside from his undefeated record and victorious run on “The Ultimate Fighter 15,” the UFC lightweight’s unkempt beard has become his signature feature.

But there was a time when he wanted a trim. While filming “TUF 15,” a grueling 13-week season in which fights were shown live, he wanted to reduce the size of his crumb catcher.

“The funny thing is that I always kept it a little long,” he said. “But when I was on ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ I asked them (about it). I asked them, ‘Hey, I really want to trim this thing down.’ And they’re like, ‘Nope, can’t do it. Consistency. When you trim it, we can’t go back and use old footage.’ So I got stuck with growing this big huge beard.”

It’s now become a fight-week staple, and Chiesa admits he’s grown a bit fond of it.

“The fans fell in love with it, and I’ve become accustomed to it,” he said. “So now it’s just kind of a part of who I am.”

Earlier this week, the ungroomed grappler made the four-hour drive from his home in Spokane, Wash., to Seattle, which plays host to Saturday’s UFC on FOX 8 event and the featured preliminary-card bout between Chiesa (9-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Jorge Masvidal (24-7 MMA, 1-0 UFC). Their meeting is the final fight on FX before the night’s FOX-televised main card.

In the buildup to the bout, Masvidal has gotten awfully personal with his trash talk of Chiesa. He previously called Chiesa “a watered-down Royce Gracie,” and on Thursday, he said he worried about catching venereal disease from the “jerk’s” beard.

But Chiesa, a sportsman who prides himself on acting like one, said he’s not going to fire back with insults.

“It’s a tough matchup,” Chiesa told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Jorge is well-traveled and a vet. I’m the up-and-comer. He’s had his time, but it’s mine now. There’s really not a bad thing I can say about him, honestly.

“I’ll talk on Saturday night. I’m not one to sit and talk trash. … It doesn’t matter. I’m a performer, not a talker.”

Chiesa said a perk of fighting close to home is the family and friends who will be in attendance for the bout. Unlike some fighters, he doesn’t feel added pressure from their presence. And come Saturday, he fully expects to celebrate a win with his band of supporters.

And for the beard? Don’t expect it to make a disappearance like it has after other fights.

“Anytime I shave it off, I feel like I look like a pinhead,” he said. “I need a chin job. I need to get a new chin or something bigger. So I’ll probably just trim it down a bit.”

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Heavyweight Breakdown and UFC on FOX 18

In this week's episode of Beyond the Fight, Chael Sonnen discusses the breakdown of the UFC Heavyweight Championship and weighs in on UFC on FOX 18. read news >>

UFC on Fox 18: Ryan Bader Could Finally Win Our Respect by Taking out Rumble

By now, “respect” must feel like a pretty foreign concept to Ryan Bader. The 32-year-old Nevada native and former Ultimate Fighter reality-show winner is chest-deep in a five-fight win streak. Most r read news >>

Bellator notebook: Coker discusses Overeem, 'Bendo,' Minakov's expected 'mid-2016' return

There's plenty going on in the world of Bellator President Scott Coker ahead of Friday's Bellator 148 event, and the longtime MMA exec, gave his thoughts on a number of those topics, including his pu read news >>

UFC on FOX 18's Sage Northcutt already feeling advantages of Saturday's move to 170

NEWARK, N.J. – There’s no guarantee that Sage Northcutt is going to stay at welterweight after his Saturday fight in the division – but it sounds like he already knows it would have some advantages. read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 Open Workout Highlight Video

Catch up with Anthony Johnson, Ryan Bader, Sage Northcutt, Ben Rothwell, and Josh Barnett ahead of UFC on FOX 18 at Thursday's Open Workouts in Hoboken, N.J. read news >>

Dana White Says ‘Lookin’ for a Fight’ All In A Day’s Work

When UFC President Dana White discusses the success of his series “Dana White: Lookin’ for a Fight,” he makes it sound so easy. read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 workout highlights: Sage brings a big smile, Barnett brings a luchador

NEWARK, N.J. – Thursday’s fighter workouts for UFC on FOX 18 in New Jersey had the power of positivity – and a moment that was positively bizarre. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, V read news >>

VIDEO: Josh Barnett Breaks into Pro Wrestling Routine at UFC on FOX Open Workouts

Josh Barnett is the UFC open workout GOAT and this video is further evidence. read news >>

Watch the UFC on FOX 18 Weigh-In Streaming Live Friday at 4 PM ET

Watch the UFC on FOX 18: Johnson vs. Bader official weigh-in streaming live from the Prudential Center in New Jersey on Friday at 4 p.m. ET. read news >>

Dana White Discusses Floyd Mayweather After Conor McGregor Racism Comments

Retired, undefeated boxer Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. has expressed his displeasure with top UFC fighter Conor McGregor in recent weeks, but UFC president Dana White believes the 49-0 fighter is off read news >>