josh-thomson-17.jpgJosh Thomson gave a pretty succinct summary of his big win over Nate Diaz at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7 event: “I didn’t fight stupid.”

That’s certainly one way of putting it.

Thomson (20-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC), a recent Strikeforce fighter who returned to the UFC for the first time in nearly nine years, delivered recent title challenger Diaz (16-9 MMA, 11-7 UFC) his first knockout loss. The bout, which netted Thomson a $50,000 “KO of the Night” award, was part of the FOX-televised main card at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7 event at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Thomson shrugged off his opponent’s taunts, landed quick combos, scored takedowns and battered Diaz with sharp elbows. Head kicks, including one that set up the second-round finish, also scored with remarkable accuracy.

“For me, this was a perfect fight,” Thomson, a former Strikeforce champion, said after the event. “I fought smart. I didn’t fight stupid. I did the things I needed to do, and I didn’t get caught up in the banter. That was the biggest thing.

“In the second fight with Gil (Melendez) when him and I fought, I was getting frustrated. I got caught up in the brawl, and it cost me my title. So I told myself I would never do that again. Just go out there, and implement my gameplan, and I think that showed tonight.”

Thomson, who closed out his Strikeforce career a year ago with a title loss to Melendez (and an overall 10-3 record), was a small underdog heading into the fight. Yet Thomson largely agreed with the oddsmakers, which made his dominant win all the more surprising.

“I didn’t see it going this way at all,” he said. “I played it in my head like 100 times. And honestly in probably about 50 of those times, I lost. It’s probably a hard pill to swallow for some of you guys to believe that, but you’ve got to be prepared for every scenario. I had to make sure I fought a good fight, and I just picked him apart. That, in my mind, was making sure I implemented my gameplan and didn’t get caught up in the banter and all the other crap. I went out there and did my job. When I do that, I feel like I’m one of the best guys in the world.”

It’s justifiable argument. Heading into UFC on FOX 7, Thomson was ranked No. 14 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings, though his ranking has steadily declined over the past few years due to inactivity, injuries, key losses and the resurgence of the UFC’s 155-pound division. Diaz, in fact, was ranked No. 6, largely due to the quality of competition he faced in the octagon, which was unavailable to Thomson until Strikeforce closed its doors earlier this year and sent its top talent to the UFC.

But Thomson, 34, believes he’ll make the most of his current opportunity. He’s ready for big fights with the UFC.

“I started my career here, and I’m 100 percent sure I’m going to finish it here,” he said. “I get this question every time: ‘Oh, you’re getting older,’ and blah, blah, blah. I’m tired of hearing all that. But guess what? I will finish my career here. I’m happy to be here.

“Honestly, I would have never left. I’d be here still, to this day. I think I’ve proven it over and over again. it was uncontrollable circumstances that put me in a position where I had to leave the UFC. I had to make money and get a job and get the experience to still be a fighter and live my dream. I’m back here, and it was meant to be. That’s all I can say. It was meant to be.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dana White Declares Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz in Jeopardy, Might Have to Move On

  • 28 days ago
  • 21 views

Dana White on Thursday admitted that, with Nate Diaz negotiations stalling out, Conor McGregor may have to move on from his desire for a rematch. read news >>

Dana White Talks About Problems in Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz Negotiations

  • 27 days ago
  • 530 views

UFC President Dana White has had some problems negotiating recently with two of the UFC's biggest fighters. UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor, perhaps the most famous fighter in MMA today, se read news >>

Watch Nate Diaz Hit Dana White with the ‘Stockton Slap’

  • 25 days ago
  • 28 views

Well, looks like Dana White and Nate Diaz are getting along. So much that Dana's letting Nate smack that hell out of him. read news >>

Dana White Gets 'Hit' with the 'Stockton Slap' from Nate Diaz in Video

  • 26 days ago
  • 20 views

Nate Diaz is closer to stepping back inside the Octagon, and part of getting the deal done appears to be slapping Dana White. Warning: Video contains NSFW lyrics. Diaz posted the video to Instagram o read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor II Announced for UFC 202: Latest Comments, Reaction

  • 25 days ago
  • 37 views

After plenty of posturing by all parties involved, the UFC confirmed Saturday night Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon for a rematch with Nate Diaz, per UFC commentator Jon Anik. The two will read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 2 Booked for UFC 202 on August 20

  • 25 days ago
  • 17 views

The highly anticipated rematch between Nate Diaz and featherweight champion Conor McGregor has been signed to take place at UFC 202 on August 20. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Talks Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz Before Eddie Alvarez UFC Fight

  • 9 days ago
  • 139 views

UFC Lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos thinks a future fight with Conor McGregor would be “easy money” for him. The Brazilian title-holder was speaking ahead of his upcoming bout with Eddie Alvare read news >>

Dana White Explains that ‘Stockton Slap’ Video He Made with Nate Diaz

  • 8 days ago
  • 88 views

Dana White explains how that "Stockton Slap" video with Nate Diaz became a thing. read news >>

Paige VanZant Returns at UFC on Fox 21 in Vancouver Against Bec Rawlings

  • 7 days ago
  • 12 views

Paige VanZant (6-2) is set to make her return to the Octagon on August 27 in Vancouver at UFC on Fox 21. Opposite her will be Bec Rawlings (7-4). VanZant made the announcement Thursday morning on Spo read news >>

UFC on Fox 20 Co-Main Event in Chicago Postponed to Later Date

  • 6 days ago
  • 34 views

The UFC on Fox 20 co-main event between light heavyweight contenders Anthony Johnson and Glover Teixeira set for July 23 in Chicago has been postponed. read news >>