SAN JOSE, Calif. – Welcome back to the octagon, Josh Thomson.

Nine years after he left the UFC, former Strikeforce champion Thomson made a triumphant return with a second-round TKO of Nate Diaz.

The lightweight bout was part of the main card of today’s UFC on FOX 7 event at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. It aired on FOX following prelims on FX and Facebook.

The taunting started early from experienced trash talker Diaz, who took a few leg kicks as he advanced on Thomson. But rather than get baited into a slugfest, Thomson spent the early part of the first frame on his bicycle.

Twice, though, he broke a stalemate with high kicks that slapped Diaz upside the head.

After frustrating Diaz with movement, Thomson began to stand his ground, stopping Diaz in his tracks with stiff combinations. To add to Diaz’s woes, Thomson put him on the mat and landed shots from overhead.

Diaz immediately chased Thomson down at the start of the second frame and brought a halt to the action with a knee to the groin. Diaz continued to taunt his opponent, but Thomson tied him up and landed elbows in close. Blood began to flow from Diaz’s face.

Diaz nabbed a takedown and briefly threatened with a submission, but Thomson escaped danger.

Then, Thomson returned to what brought him success early in the fight. Again ducking low and kicking high, his shin caught Diaz on the temple and send him reeling to the cage. A follow-up right hand further removed Diaz from consciousness, and just as referee Mike Beltran stepped in to stop the bout at the 3:44 mark of the second, his corner threw in the towel.

An ecstatic Thomson ran the cage and screamed to cageside observers.

“I played it over and over in my head and honestly, I had myself losing a couple times, too,” Thomson said. “I couldn’t have scripted it any better. I doubted myself a little bit. I was more nervous for this fight than I was for Gilbert (Melendez). I thought he posed a lot of problems for me from his ground to his reach. My whole game plan was to pick him apart and take what he gives me. I did something the champ didn’t – I finished him. I think I deserve a shot at the title but it’s hard for me to say. I was fighting in the UFC before it was cool. I started my career here and I’m so happy that I get to finish it here.”

Thomson (20-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC), who was a slight underdog leading into the fight, gets back in the winner’s circle following a loss to former Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez in a rubber match. Diaz (16-9 MMA, 11-7 UFC) now has lost back-to-back fights following a decision loss to champ Benson Henderson at UFC on FOX 5.

Up-to-the-minute UFC on FOX 7 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan and Ben Fowlkes contributed to this report on-site in San Jose.

Conor McGregor Wants Nate Diaz, So He Came Up with Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar

While Conor McGregor focuses on exacting his revenge upon Nate Diaz, he says it was his idea for Jose Aldo to fight Frankie Edgar for the interim belt. read news >>

Dana White Declares Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz in Jeopardy, Might Have to Move On

Dana White on Thursday admitted that, with Nate Diaz negotiations stalling out, Conor McGregor may have to move on from his desire for a rematch. read news >>

Dana White Talks About Problems in Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz Negotiations

UFC President Dana White has had some problems negotiating recently with two of the UFC's biggest fighters. UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor, perhaps the most famous fighter in MMA today, se read news >>

Watch Nate Diaz Hit Dana White with the ‘Stockton Slap’

Well, looks like Dana White and Nate Diaz are getting along. So much that Dana's letting Nate smack that hell out of him. read news >>

Dana White Gets 'Hit' with the 'Stockton Slap' from Nate Diaz in Video

Nate Diaz is closer to stepping back inside the Octagon, and part of getting the deal done appears to be slapping Dana White. Warning: Video contains NSFW lyrics. Diaz posted the video to Instagram o read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor II Announced for UFC 202: Latest Comments, Reaction

After plenty of posturing by all parties involved, the UFC confirmed Saturday night Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon for a rematch with Nate Diaz, per UFC commentator Jon Anik. The two will read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 2 Booked for UFC 202 on August 20

The highly anticipated rematch between Nate Diaz and featherweight champion Conor McGregor has been signed to take place at UFC 202 on August 20. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Talks Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz Before Eddie Alvarez UFC Fight

UFC Lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos thinks a future fight with Conor McGregor would be “easy money” for him. The Brazilian title-holder was speaking ahead of his upcoming bout with Eddie Alvare read news >>

Dana White Explains that ‘Stockton Slap’ Video He Made with Nate Diaz

Dana White explains how that "Stockton Slap" video with Nate Diaz became a thing. read news >>

Paige VanZant Returns at UFC on Fox 21 in Vancouver Against Bec Rawlings

Paige VanZant (6-2) is set to make her return to the Octagon on August 27 in Vancouver at UFC on Fox 21. Opposite her will be Bec Rawlings (7-4). VanZant made the announcement Thursday morning on Spo read news >>