SAN JOSE, Calif. – Chad Mendes continues his climb back to featherweight title contention.
With a first-round stoppage of the surging Darren Elkins, Mendes made it 3-0 for Team Alpha Male fighters at UFC on FOX 7.
The featherweight bout closed out the preliminary card of today’s UFC on FOX 7 event at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and ahead of a main card on FOX.
Mendes made his power known early with stiff leg kicks to Elkins, who surprisingly didn’t shoot for a takedown.
Of course, he didn’t have much time to set up a shot. Mendes landed an overhand right that sent him backpedaling to the cage.
A few follow-up punches at the fence, and referee Herb Dean would be forced to wave off the bout at the 1:08 mark of the first round.
“We’re killing it,” said Mendes of his team’s performance at UFC on FOX 7. Teammates Joseph Benavidez and T.J. Dillashaw also earned stoppage wins.
Asked whether he’d like to get another shot at Jose Aldo, Mendes, who was KO’d by the champ at UFC 142, said, “I want that rematch, man. I’m coming in here and busting butt, and I think it shows.”
Mendes (14-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) now boasts three straight wins following his loss to Aldo, which remains his sole professional loss. Elkins (16-3 MMA, 6-2 UFC) sees a five-fight win streak snapped and gets pushed down the ladder of division contenders.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on FOX 7 results include:
- Chad Mendes def. Darren Elkins via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:08
- Francis Carmont vs. Lorenz Larkin via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Myles Jury def. Ramsey Nijem via KO (punch) – Round 1, 1:02
- Joseph Benavidez def. Darren Uyenoyama via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:50
- Jorge Masvidal def. Tim Means via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- T.J. Dillashaw def. Hugo Viana via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:22
- Anthony Njokuani def. Roger Bowling via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 2:52
- Yoel Romero def. Clifford Starks via KO (flying knee, punches) – Round 1, 1:32
For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
John Morgan and Ben Fowlkes contributed to this report on-site in San Jose.