will-chope-ufc-fight-night-34

SINGAPORE – Will Chope found MMA while serving as an Air Force civil engineer in Guam, and quickly seized upon the sport as a way to make a fresh start.

Rather than invest his time at a super-gym in the U.S., he traveled to around the world to sharpen his skills as a professional fighter. He’s served stints in Phillipines, Tawain, Malaysia, and Thailand, where he’s made a permanent home.

“You’ve got all these tiny gyms hidden around the country, and they’re still just as good as gyms in America,” said Chope, who meets Max Holloway on the preliminary card of UFC Fight Night 34, which streams on UFC Fight Pass.

In the past three years, the 6-foot-4 Chope has stood out not only with his gangly frame, but his willingness to fight. He said he’s racked up 52 fights in muay Thai, K-1 kickboxing and MMA.

Of course, there were lessons learned along the way, some of them hard ones. He was self-managed for much of his career and accepted bouts with heavier opponents.

“I lost a lot of fights, and had a lot of mismatches, but it was a good idea at the time,” Chope said.

Chope (19-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) found his stride after he learned how to cut weight. Now fighting at 145 pounds, he’s won his past 14 bouts in MMA (12 of them in the first round) and earned a fight with young standout Max Holloway (7-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC), who looks to rebound from a recent loss to red-hot prospect Conor McGregor.

“A lot of people don’t think I’m ready for the UFC, since I just started three and a half years ago,” Chope said. “But I feel like if I can win this fight, I can show everybody that I belong.”

Fans can expect “lanky madness” when they see the two square off in the octagon, said Chope, who favors the striking game after years of training in kickboxing.

And whether or not he wins, the UFC newcomer said he’s still willing to take whatever bout the UFC offers. A fight every month would not be too much.

“I don’t fight for money, but now that I have my family, UFC gives me that security,” Chope said. “I’m making enough money from sponsors that I’m just trying to focus on the UFC. I still want to fight as much as I can, but we’ll see what the UFC thinks about that.”

While it’s unlikely the UFC will allow him to take bouts outside the promotion, he plans to stay in Thailand, where he has a wife and son.

“There’s no better muay Thai fighters than the Thais,” Chope said. “And there’s foreigners traveling to Thailand year-round, and you’ve got people learning muay Thai, but at the same time, they’re doing jiu-jitsu and wrestling. So I pick up a lot, and I get to train with guys from around the world.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 34, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

CM Punk Warned by Mickey Gall Ahead of Potential UFC Showdown

UFC newcomer Mickey Gall has warned wrestling superstar CM Punk ahead of their expected clash in the Octagon, but said he respects the former WWE champion for making the switch to Dana White's compan read news >>

Conor McGregor has caught the ire of Fabricio Werdum (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Werdum has found success all over the world, so when McGregor criticized Rafael dos Anjos for moving to the United States, Werdum could only laugh and shake his head. read news >>

Conor McGregor has caught the ire of Fabricio Werdum (Yahoo Sports)

UFC newcomer Randy Brown 'can't wait to do it again'

NEWARK, N.J. – Randy Brown didn’t quite make the same impact as the man who blazed the trail he took to the UFC, Sage Northcutt, but “Rude Boy” said he felt comfortable in his win and is ready to go read news >>

Out of nowhere, has Johny Hendricks found himself in a fight he can't afford to lose?

With everything that’s happened in recent months, you could almost forget that Johny Hendricks is a fighter coming off a win and right on the verge of another title shot. Against Stephen Thompson, it read news >>

If UFC newcomer Mike Jackson wins tonight, he also gets CM Punk next

UFC President Dana White has clarified some initially murky stakes for an intriguing bout at tonight’s UFC Fight Night 82 event.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 Results: Mickey Gall Earns a Shot at CM Punk with Quick Submission Win

24-year-old UFC newcomer Mickey Gall earned a crack at CM Punk with a quick submission win in his UFC debut in Las Vegas on Saturday. read news >>

Mickey Gall Determined to Defeat CM Punk and Prove He’s UFC Material (Video)

UFC newcomer Mickey Gall won the CM Punk UFC lottery when he defeated Mike Jackson on the UFC Fight Night 82: Hendricks vs. Thompson preliminary card. read news >>

Damian Stasiak meets newcomer Filip Pejic at UFC Fight Night 86 in Croatia

The UFC’s debut event in Croatia continues to grow with the addition of a bantamweight bout featuring one of Zagreb’s own – a UFC newcomer. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>