will-chope-ufc-fight-night-34

SINGAPORE – Will Chope found MMA while serving as an Air Force civil engineer in Guam, and quickly seized upon the sport as a way to make a fresh start.

Rather than invest his time at a super-gym in the U.S., he traveled to around the world to sharpen his skills as a professional fighter. He’s served stints in Phillipines, Tawain, Malaysia, and Thailand, where he’s made a permanent home.

“You’ve got all these tiny gyms hidden around the country, and they’re still just as good as gyms in America,” said Chope, who meets Max Holloway on the preliminary card of UFC Fight Night 34, which streams on UFC Fight Pass.

In the past three years, the 6-foot-4 Chope has stood out not only with his gangly frame, but his willingness to fight. He said he’s racked up 52 fights in muay Thai, K-1 kickboxing and MMA.

Of course, there were lessons learned along the way, some of them hard ones. He was self-managed for much of his career and accepted bouts with heavier opponents.

“I lost a lot of fights, and had a lot of mismatches, but it was a good idea at the time,” Chope said.

Chope (19-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) found his stride after he learned how to cut weight. Now fighting at 145 pounds, he’s won his past 14 bouts in MMA (12 of them in the first round) and earned a fight with young standout Max Holloway (7-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC), who looks to rebound from a recent loss to red-hot prospect Conor McGregor.

“A lot of people don’t think I’m ready for the UFC, since I just started three and a half years ago,” Chope said. “But I feel like if I can win this fight, I can show everybody that I belong.”

Fans can expect “lanky madness” when they see the two square off in the octagon, said Chope, who favors the striking game after years of training in kickboxing.

And whether or not he wins, the UFC newcomer said he’s still willing to take whatever bout the UFC offers. A fight every month would not be too much.

“I don’t fight for money, but now that I have my family, UFC gives me that security,” Chope said. “I’m making enough money from sponsors that I’m just trying to focus on the UFC. I still want to fight as much as I can, but we’ll see what the UFC thinks about that.”

While it’s unlikely the UFC will allow him to take bouts outside the promotion, he plans to stay in Thailand, where he has a wife and son.

“There’s no better muay Thai fighters than the Thais,” Chope said. “And there’s foreigners traveling to Thailand year-round, and you’ve got people learning muay Thai, but at the same time, they’re doing jiu-jitsu and wrestling. So I pick up a lot, and I get to train with guys from around the world.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 34, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Erick Silva's Patience and Progress

With Silva having found success in all but one of his four most recent outings, the once highly touted prospect has started to shape into a potential title threat. read news >>

Jason High signs with World Series of Fighting

Jason High has found a new home. The MMA veteran has signed a new contract with World Series of Fighting, Ali Abdel-Aziz, WSOF executive vice president, confirmed with MMAFighting.com on Tuesday. Hig read news >>

Brazilian fighter wins MMA title while 12 weeks pregnant

Brazilian fighter Kinberly Novaes just found out she's six months pregnant, after already winning the Noxii strawweight title in May while 12 weeks along. On May 17 of this year, Kinberly Novaes defe read news >>

Kinberly Novaes Won MMA Title While 12 Weeks Pregnant: Latest Comments, Reaction

Kinberly Novaes found out the hard way cutting weight can be difficult when you're carrying a child. During a physical examination to determine why she was unable to lose the requisite pounds in orde read news >>

Former PXC champion Ale Cali shot dead in Davao, Philippines

Former PXC champ Ale Cali was murdered in Davao City, Philippines. Former PXC flyweight champion Ale Cali was found dead in Ulas Crossing, in Davao City, a province in the Philippines. The Filipino f read news >>

Germany's Nick Hein meets newcomer Yusuke Kasuya at UFC Fight Night 75 in Japan

Next month’s UFC fight card in Japan has a new addition to the lineup. Germany’s Nick Hein will head east to meet Japanese newcomer Yusuke Kasuya at UFC Fight Night 75. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Michael Johnson on Split Decision Loss to Beneil Dariush: ‘Every Body Knows I Won That Fight’

Lightweight contender Michael Johnson found himself on the losing end of a controversial split decision in the UFC Fight Night 73 co-main event. He thinks he clearly won. read news >>

After hockey, UFC Fight Night 73's Scott Holtzman doesn’t want any more fake teeth

NASHVILLE – UFC newcomer Scott Holtzman knows what it’s like to participate in a brutal sport, so the prospect of jumping into another one wasn’t easy.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Hey, Michael Bisping: Here's the latest UFC middleweight calling you out

Vitor Miranda appears to have found a home in the UFC’s middleweight division, and now he has his sights set on some bigger names at 185 pounds.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 190 winner 'Bigfoot' Silva found motivation in Mir and Arlovski comebacks

Fans and media are often quick to call for a fighter to retire if he falls on hard times in his career. It was no different for Antonio Silva as he went 0-3-1 in a four-fight stretch leading up to UF read news >>