melvin-guillard-26.jpgShortly after knocking out Mac Danzig at UFC on FOX 7, Melvin Guillard said he would continue to live in Florida but train in Colorado, where he’d prepared for the fight at Grudge Training Center.

Now, it appears Guillard would like to train close to where he rests his head.

A rep for American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla., told MMAjunkie.com that Guillard is now training with the team, and also has a new manager.

According to the rep, the new manager, Malki Kawa of First Round Management, inquired this past week about Guillard (31-12-2 MMA, 12-8 UFC) using the famed gym to prepare for an upcoming co-main event with Ross Pearson (15-6 MMA, 7-3 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 30, which takes place Oct. 26 at Manchester Arena in England.

A few days later, Guillard tested out the gym and decided to stay, according to the rep. American Top Team is the home of UFC veterans Gleison Tibau, Cole Miller, Mike Brown, Jorge Masvidal and a host of other top-tier fighters.

The switch is the latest change of scenery for “The Young Assassin,” who earlier this year left the Blackzilians and was blocked from coming back to his former team at Jackson-Winkeljohn’s MMA in Albuquerque, N.M.

Despite leaving the Blackzilians, Guillard was thought to have retained his management firm, Authentic Sports Management, though his latest move appears to have severed that tie. A rep for ASM could not immediately be reached for comment.

“Everything is great with Grudge and Melvin, but yes he is training at ATT, which he lives right next to,” Trevor Wittman, who heads Grudge Training Center, told MMAjunkie.com. “Staying in his hometown is way more cost effective for him.”

After his attempt to rejoin Jackson-Winkeljohn’s MMA, Guillard moved into a fighter house at Grudge with the permission of Wittman, with whom he’d previously trained. Guillard spoke highly of his experience there and said his focus helped him to defeat Danzig.

Facing rumors of a pink slip, Guillard pounded Danzig, the winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 6,” unconscious with hammerfists and earned a $50,000 “Knockout of the Night” bonus, which got him back on the right track after a 1-4 skid.

Guillard also got right with the law after receiving a suspended sentence on a pair of assault charges from 2010 while he was with Jackson-Winkeljohn’s MMA.

For more on UFC Fight Night 30, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(UPDATED on 9/16/13 at 2 p.m. ET with comment from Wittman.)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Patricky Freire calls out Melvin Guillard, but says Bellator isn’t interested for now

  • 18 days ago
  • 2 views

As soon as former UFC star Melvin Guillard signed with Bellator, long-time Bellator veteran Patricky Freire went on Twitter to call him out. It looks like the promotion isn’t interested in the match- read news >>

Mark Hunt on Stipe Miocic: ‘I’m knocking his lips off’

  • 21 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt plans to knock Stipe Miocic out on Saturday night in Adelaide. read news >>

Lightweight Melvin Guillard signs with Bellator

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

Melvin Guillard's rocky World Series of Fighting tenure is now in the past as the lightweight has signed with Bellator. The next chapter in Melvin Guillard's up-and-down career will take place inside read news >>

Melvin Guillard Signs Bellator Deal Four Days After Being Released by WSOF

  • 25 days ago
  • 1 views

Melvin Guillard, a popular if mercurial lightweight who fought 22 times for the UFC, has signed a long-term deal with the Bellator MMA promotion. Bellator officials announced the deal Monday in a new read news >>

Bellator MMA Inks UFC Vet Melvin Guillard to Multi-Fight Contract

  • 25 days ago
  • 2 views

Bellator MMA officials announced on Monday that they have signed Melvin “The Young Assassin” Guillard (32-14-2) to a multi-year, multi-fight contract. read news >>

Melvin Guillard signs multi-year, multi-fight contract with Bellator

  • 25 days ago
  • 0 views

Melvin Guillard has found a new home. Four days after being granted a release from World Series of Fighting, "The Young Assassin" has inked a multi-year, multi-fight contract with Bellator, the promo read news >>

Bellator inks multi-fight deal with UFC lightweight veteran Melvin Guillard

  • 25 days ago
  • 1 views

Melvin Guillard is headed (back) to Spike TV. The hard-hitting "Young Assassin," who made a brief (and turbulent) pit stop in World Series of Fighting (WSOF) in 2014, has inked a multi-fight, multi-y read news >>

Veteran slugger Melvin Guillard signs with Bellator

  • 25 days ago
  • 2 views

Veteran lightweight slugger Melvin Guillard, who’s recently competed for the UFC and WSOF, has signed with Bellator MMA.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, WSOF read news >>

Melvin Guillard Granted Release from World Series of Fighting

  • 28 days ago
  • 24 views

Lightweight Melvin Guillard was granted his release from World Series of Fighting on Thursday. His manager, First Round Management CEO Malki Kawa, broke the news via Twitter. read news >>

Melvin Guillard granted release from WSOF, 'excited to be starting over'

  • 29 days ago
  • 5 views

Melvin Guillard is a free agent. World Series of Fighting granted the UFC veteran his release Thursday, MMAFighting.com has confirmed with Guillard's manager Abe Kawa. After a tumultuous run with the read news >>

Trending News

Top News

Jump to: